End of Earth, Michigan Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

:sad: But I needed sauce and they were too stupid to know what I meant by tomato sauce. :sad:

At least I never tipped anyone. I let my friends do that for me. Seriously, fuck you, I'm not paying your wages.

the thing is, you are supposed to pay their wages. at any restaurant, you are paying, and we just put less in the price of the food and more in the tip as an incentive for good service. but waitresses make a lower minimum wage/general wage than others because of tips. it's quality control built into the system.

for example on my birthday when the waitress never said happy birthday (she carded me and didn't say it!), took 15 minutes to bring things like rolls, water, and the fucking check, and was generally awful, we tipped about 9% rather than 15-20.

The Sad Punk said:
Wow, I have more posts than you in the thread, Ax!

This is never going to last. :lol:

:laugh: You're on a roll!

And I'm semi-distracted by uploading photos. I should be semi-distracted by essays. Woops. But I will be fairly busy with work tonight, so you've a chance to beat me!

Axver said:

:laugh: You're on a roll!

And I'm semi-distracted by uploading photos. I should be semi-distracted by essays. Woops. But I will be fairly busy with work tonight, so you've a chance to beat me!

Problem is, I have to skedaddle up to the shop in a minute, and I'm also half working on something in Photoshop.

I'm gonna have to whore like a mad fucker for a while.

my new camera, which came out over a year ago, doesn't really like to talk to my new mac. fuck.

wait, i may have just found a better program for it. it hangs iphoto, but i fucking hate iphoto.

Varitek said:

the thing is, you are supposed to pay their wages. at any restaurant, you are paying, and we just put less in the price of the food and more in the tip as an incentive for good service. but waitresses make a lower minimum wage/general wage than others because of tips. it's quality control built into the system.

for example on my birthday when the waitress never said happy birthday (she carded me and didn't say it!), took 15 minutes to bring things like rolls, water, and the fucking check, and was generally awful, we tipped about 9% rather than 15-20.

That's not the way I see it at all. I'm paying for goods or services. The wages are of absolutely no consequence to me; that is an issue between employer and employee (and the government to regulate wages for fairness), and as I'm not the employer, employee, or a government representative, it's none of my concern. The display price is what I pay. I find the concept of tipping frankly to be offensive; the employer is too slack to properly pay their employee, so they expect me to do it for them? Fuck off.

The only reason I let my friends tip for me is because they made me aware that over your way, restaurant staff get paid appallingly. I just handed them my wallet and let them sort it out.

As for an incentive for good service, I did not find the service I received at any establishment in the US to be any better or worse than service I receive in Australia and New Zealand. And, well, if you need an extra incentive to simply do your job properly, then perhaps the job's not for you and you should just quit.

The Sad Punk said:

Problem is, I have to skedaddle up to the shop in a minute, and I'm also half working on something in Photoshop.

I'm gonna have to whore like a mad fucker for a while.

At the moment, you're this thread's top poster. Shop? Pfft. Just have no life, glue yourself to the computer, and postwhore it up. :wink:

Axver said:

That's not the way I see it at all. I'm paying for goods or services. The wages are of absolutely no consequence to me; that is an issue between employer and employee (and the government to regulate wages for fairness), and as I'm not the employer, employee, or a government representative, it's none of my concern. The display price is what I pay. I find the concept of tipping frankly to be offensive; the employer is too slack to properly pay their employee, so they expect me to do it for them? Fuck off.

The only reason I let my friends tip for me is because they made me aware that over your way, restaurant staff get paid appallingly. I just handed them my wallet and let them sort it out.

As for an incentive for good service, I did not find the service I received at any establishment in the US to be any better or worse than service I receive in Australia and New Zealand. And, well, if you need an extra incentive to simply do your job properly, then perhaps the job's not for you and you should just quit.

exactly - they are paid appallingly, but it's the system, and not between employer and employee as one could not actually viably raise wages. so like i said, you as a customer are paying staff wages, it just is different as to how. it's like tax. you look at a price and you know there's a 6% tax on it or whatever. at a restaurant, you look at a price and you know there's a tip on it. it's not about individual employer slackness, but it's the way the economic structure works. get over your anti-americanness (and we're not the only place that tips) for a second and use whatever economics you have in your brain to understand this.

i know a guy who's holding off on sex rather than booze. this would upset me if i were single, as he's been a go-to guy, but now i just find it puzzling.

Varitek said:

exactly - they are paid appallingly, but it's the system, and not between employer and employee as one could not actually viably raise wages. so like i said, you as a customer are paying staff wages, it just is different as to how. it's like tax. you look at a price and you know there's a 6% tax on it or whatever. at a restaurant, you look at a price and you know there's a tip on it. it's not about individual employer slackness, but it's the way the economic structure works. get over your anti-americanness (and we're not the only place that tips) for a second and use whatever economics you have in your brain to understand this.

This has got fuck-all to do with being anti-American (which I am not). It just so happens that the only country I've visited where tipping is standard is the US; I'm well aware other countries also have the practice.

I disagree entirely with your point. I am not paying wages. As the customer, it is none of my concern. The employer pays the employee's wages out of their revenue from sales to customers. The customer should not be expected to pay any more than the displayed purchase price (which, incidentally, is enshrined in Australian and New Zealand law), whether it be taxes, tips, or any other undisclosed costs. Such an expectation is deception.

It's a shame you can't protest it simply by not tipping, since that doesn't hurt the people it should hurt, and hurts those who it shouldn't.

Axver said:

This has got fuck-all to do with being anti-American (which I am not). It just so happens that the only country I've visited where tipping is standard is the US; I'm well aware other countries also have the practice.

I disagree entirely with your point. I am not paying wages. As the customer, it is none of my concern. The employer pays the employee's wages out of their revenue from sales to customers. The customer should not be expected to pay any more than the displayed purchase price (which, incidentally, is enshrined in Australian and New Zealand law), whether it be taxes, tips, or any other undisclosed costs. Such an expectation is deception.

It's a shame you can't protest it simply by not tipping, since that doesn't hurt the people it should hurt, and hurts those who it shouldn't.

but if there were no tipping, the restaurant prices would just be 15% more, so it makes no difference to me. this way i save money if the service sucks, and get to make a statement about it.

Varitek said:

but if there were no tipping, the restaurant prices would just be 15% more, so it makes no difference to me. this way i save money if the service sucks, and get to make a statement about it.

Wow, there's actually a 15% standard? What a pain in the arse that must be to calculate. And I'd rather that the printed price be exactly what I pay. If the service is shit, the simple solution is just to walk out without paying. My family and others I know have done that, or complained to the manager and received courses or drinks for free.

The Sad Punk said:
Ack, I make one post on another forum about how widespread homosexuality in Ancient Greece is a misconception and Vaz matches my postcount. :eek:

And with this post, I'm level with the two of you as well. You're slackening off, Bonnie! :tsk:

Actually, I should go cook dinner; I'm starving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom