EMUS for Argentina...take care of our chicks. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2002, 09:31 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:01 AM
EMUS for Argentina...take care of our chicks.

The Australian Youth cricket team is called the Emus(brettig may correct me there. I think they are a national squad, they may just be players only from NSW..I'm not that up on it, I'm a soccermum)
A few years ago a young trumpet player used to come along and jam at our band's gigs, very talented, nice young man. He had fond memories of travelling to Argentina when he was about 16 with the Emu cricket team.

A local boy, who went to primary school with my son, has had his heart set on playing for Australia one day. He has just been selected to tour with a team to ...you guessed it, Argentina.
A definite step in the right direction. I know how hard he and his parents have worked to achieve that beginning. I am not sure if any Argentinian people involved with junior cricket are likely to venture in here
but if it should so happen......

say g'day to our Emu Chicks

that is what the squad is called. but if you could see how cute an emu chick is awwwwwwwww. Good luck to them anyway.

PS: I just heard Andre Agassi mentioned at the end of a radio news report..Go the old guy go Andre

Old 08-31-2002, 02:38 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

general sport news..local and otherwise

I read this letter to the editor in today's paper. I don't necessarily agree, but it is funny.

"Dear Sir
The recent unsavoury incidents in junior rugby league, assaults on referees, thuggery and all-in brawls, on and off the field at Byron Bay and in New Zealand- can be solved with two simple words-
"play cricket"." L.Ellem Grafton
not
but quite funny.

I think Wasim Akram is a very exciting cricketer, my favourite, I think. Late last night I heard the radio news. When the sports report began Pakistan were something like 7/89. By the time the report ended, they were 8/89......Dizzy bowled Wasim out for a duckack, they should have let him get going. He can be so exciting with the bat. Anyway, that was funny too. Me way down here, stumbling upon that moment and and hearing it as it happened like that.
I shoulda went to the 'gabba back in '80, shoulda , shoulda

I....quite like cricket

Old 09-02-2002, 05:03 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I worked at the high school yesterday and had a chat with our local "emu chick" They leave on December 1st. I asked if theywere going to Buenos Aires. he wasn't sure, but he knows" on one of the days thay are going to brasil" Still a baby, only13!!but one good cricketer.

More news!!! My dear friend's daughter just came 4th in the NSW State Schoolgirls surfing championship. She is now off to Western Australia for the national titles.( a big expense, but a chance to be seen and maybe attract a good sponsor...Go Chani )

AND, my second son has been selected for his school's Open Rugby Union and soccer teams . His older brother was on the winning Peter Ball Cup open soccer team(it earns $1000 for their school if they win). I can't say I'm that thrilled about him playing rugby...but. I'll be there, cheering them on!!!
GO SOUTH HIGH
Old 09-03-2002, 07:51 AM   #4
War Child

Big Grin

did someone say emu?
Old 09-03-2002, 04:52 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

YES Amanda, emu.
I recall the sport you and a few others had when i told of my interest in trying to protect the last of local emu population in my area "emus tied to the bonnet of cars and smelly people who dress up their dogs** that's OK, have your fun, love.
But in this case, I am referring to a sporting team, one of which I and I might have hoped, you,would be proud. But the emus can take care of themselves now...I hope!

I am now very very concerned with how they are now structuring the Silver Fern Cup(union) and Peter Ball Cup(soccer). All the games are being held over 2 days. That is too much exertion imho. Quite a few of the players are in both teams. I will be glad when Friday gets here and they are all safe.

PEACE...emulovers
Old 09-03-2002, 08:38 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Re: EMUS for Argentina...take care of our chicks.

Quote:
Originally posted by cass

but if you could see how cute an emu chick is awwwwwwwww. Good luck to them anyway.

Not as cute as the Lionesses( Spelling?) ( Argentinian Hockey players) LOL
Old 09-04-2002, 01:52 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Naimh, you sweet thing

I don't think you should ask me of all people about spelling, especially some word that probably has a spelling rule all of it's own. I struggle already.
anyway, if you happen to return or if one day I point you in this direction..... a word

you mentioned a U2 song book. Filled my olf heart with a nice dose of warm fuzzies, my dear childhood friend, gave me the Neil Young song book for my 18th birthday. It is almosy antique now I would advise, depending on how your book is constructed and bound, to write out the lyrics and chords if that is adequate for your purposes. Due to overuse, old age and maybe poor construction,, the pages of the Neil Young book have come adrift, I am sad to say. A"just in case" story for you.
Peace and I would say an Argentinian hockey women's hockey team would be dynamic and skilled. Look out!!!
Attached Thumbnails
neil.jpg  
Old 09-04-2002, 03:18 AM   #8
War Child

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by cass
YES Amanda, emu.
I recall the sport you and a few others had when i told of my interest in trying to protect the last of local emu population in my area "emus tied to the bonnet of cars and smelly people who dress up their dogs** that's OK, have your fun, love.
Cass? Huh? I have no idea what you're talking about.
I made my comment because a friend of mine calls me 'emu' as a nickname.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:20 PM   #9
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:01 AM
how could I have missed this thread?
I love cricket
(and emus)

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-17-2002, 10:06 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I have no idea how you missed it either salome. maybe it flashed by as quick as a Pakistan innings
And Zooropamanda, Cowgirl, emu, whoever you are today.
Peace,...
I have an emu story...not the sport variety, but where else can i tell my emu stories? At least Salome is interested.

I have taken part in the National Parks and Wildlife Service's effort to save our dwindling and very fragile population of local emus(their different genes are important, they are an isolated community)
The two officers who are conducting the studies have the coolest names imho,gina hart and paul flowers. They were destined to work for NPWS with names like that(gina wears yellow fly glasses....hmm I must ask one day? bono anyone?)
anyway officer hart rang a few days ago to enquire about sightings of emu. I was sorrry to tell her I have only found one scat all year and no sightings. They look for hot spots to do the survey each year. We decided because of the dry , they had probably moved closer to the coast.

ANYway, when my son came home from work that afternoon, he said yet another thing(it's usually people) had tried to run him off the road. As he was coming up our driveway an emu jumped out in front of him and almost hit the car. How's that for timing?so typical...gina gina!!!!, they're back!!! well one at least.

well i think it's funny., they aren't the brightest creatures, but I think they deserve our care. And boy oh boy, when it comes down to it, they are very useful to people. you can get so many products from one emu. We should respect and look to our native fauna...and flora.

I found this fellow the other day. he looks perfect, just lying there , dead. I think it is stress from dryness and smoke. maybe not, but I've found a few like him...be warned it is a pic of a dead kookaburra, only look if it doesn't offend. They are beautiful creatures too.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2002, 10:16 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

uh oh..now I'm started

I wanted to show you this pic of Monty Python. He is a permanet resident now, gives me a fright on a daily basis almost. He's very docile...usually. I leaned from a long way back to put those matches there for size comparison. i've tried to measure him, but he's not very co-operative.

umm what has this got to do with sport? ummm nothing, sorry. But that snake does make me feel a bit under pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
montyoct02.jpg  
Old 10-18-2002, 06:32 PM   #12
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:01 AM
that indeed is one scary snake
and gina hart and paul flowers are cool names
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-18-2002, 09:04 PM   #13
The Fly

Local Time: 05:01 PM

Hola cassita!!!!!

ANSWER MY LAST EMAIL

KISSES AND HUGS!!

PITALOVESU2
Old 10-19-2002, 07:41 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

hola pita

I am now thinking you may have seen something on televison about the fires near Grafton? They are not near to where I live.
It is going to be a very hot dry summer, we always prepare.

The local bishop who I am very fond of has been putting prayers in the newspaper lately. Last weekend, I thought he may have overdone it...the prayer got a full front page and it said "Lord , I beg you for a storm tonight, the wildest that you own! Oh let your winds awaken me and shake me to the bone"

I don't know who made that one up( Bon Scott?), but the night I first saw U2 in concert, we certainly had one of his wildest storms. Things still aren't rebuilt in the town near where I live from that . It still astounds me, that all-round dramatic event.
Anyway I wish the bishop would just be content with steady rain, no wild shaking thanks.

We are safe thanks pita, but there will be problems to deal with until we get good rain again. It is part of the harsh cyclic climate of our country. It was not that long ago we had floods, the biggest in years.

The bishop's side-kick, Dr Catt wrote a piece I appreciated too. I'll quote this bit from the newspaper.
......"Dr Catt said praying for rain involved much more than asking for something to be given. and urged people to empathise with those in need.
"We should have symapthy for the divine scheme in things, even if it does rain we need to be aware of how we use the environment, how we fit in" he said.
"It's not as if God is a poker machine in the sky and we pull a handle and get three fruits -we must look at the experience of change, otherwise it is just superstition."

3 fruits? LEMONS LEMONS LEMONS......the jackpot!! RAIN!!
I had to post that. I
think it may be uniquely Australian. "the great poker machine in the sky" ( they should be able to relate to that imagery thinks Dr Catt, probably right. Good try anyway.) I like his bit about understanding the scheme. They are a bit of a dynamic duo those two.

o pita ..I rave on..I'm Ok, thank you for asking...I am putting my treasures ( U2 Cds and books , guitars and dogs, in a handy place in case it does head our way and I have to leave suddenly.) I looked around today and thought no way can I fit all this "treasure" in my car...I intend to detach from material possessions...just not yet.
I have chosen to be here instead, but my son is watching an episode of "The X Files" right now...set in Mexico 2 U up there.

Short answer? there never is one...I'm OK
Old 10-19-2002, 07:57 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

MR AB..look out, I'm in the comfy chair..once upon a time

a man called MacPhisto made a phone call.
I know because I was there.
I thought he had rung my father, everyone calls him Mr AB.
But no. It was the then captain of the Australian cricket team ,Allan Border.
I thought Bono made an informed choice on who to telephome that night from the Brisbane concert....one of Queensland's own, a blue eyed boy made good ( I totally respect Allan Border)

It's been as hot here lately as it was that day I first saw U2, November 1993.I just saw Allan Border on a big screen on my small TV. It was like de ja vu. He is doing a marathon walk to raise money for children. He will be joined by some of his ex-team mates, people who were THE team, back in my day, Dean Jones, Carl Rackeman etc.

Anyway a bit of Old Aussie cricketing news. They were saying only a man with the heart of Allan Border would still do the walk in the weather conditions we are having here lately. He looked really well on Tv tonight , he has lost a lot of weight.

Good on your Mr Allan "Achtung Baby" Border
walk on Aussie, walk on, walk on
walk on Aussie, walk on

**cass does mexican wave on her own** hmmmm doesn't work does it?
+ Mr AB