EMUS for Argentina...take care of our chicks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
The Australian Youth cricket team is called the Emus(brettig may correct me there. I think they are a national squad, they may just be players only from NSW..I'm not that up on it, I'm a soccermum:D)
A few years ago a young trumpet player used to come along and jam at our band's gigs, very talented, nice young man. He had fond memories of travelling to Argentina when he was about 16 with the Emu cricket team.

A local boy, who went to primary school with my son, has had his heart set on playing for Australia one day. He has just been selected to tour with a team to ...you guessed it, Argentina.
A definite step in the right direction. I know how hard he and his parents have worked to achieve that beginning. I am not sure if any Argentinian people involved with junior cricket are likely to venture in here:wave:
but if it should so happen......

say g'day to our Emu Chicks

that is what the squad is called.:lmao: but if you could see how cute an emu chick is awwwwwwwww. Good luck to them anyway.

PS: I just heard Andre Agassi mentioned at the end of a radio news report..Go the old guy:up: go Andre

general sport news..local and otherwise

I read this letter to the editor in today's paper. I don't necessarily agree, but it is funny.

"Dear Sir
The recent unsavoury incidents in junior rugby league, assaults on referees, thuggery and all-in brawls, on and off the field at Byron Bay and in New Zealand- can be solved with two simple words-
"play cricket"." L.Ellem Grafton
not:lmao:
but quite funny.

I think Wasim Akram is a very exciting cricketer, my favourite, I think. Late last night I heard the radio news. When the sports report began Pakistan were something like 7/89. By the time the report ended, they were 8/89......Dizzy bowled Wasim out for a duck:banghead:ack, they should have let him get going. He can be so exciting with the bat. Anyway, that was funny too. Me way down here, stumbling upon that moment and and hearing it as it happened like that.
I shoulda went to the 'gabba back in '80, shoulda , shoulda

I....quite like cricket

I worked at the high school yesterday and had a chat with our local "emu chick" They leave on December 1st. I asked if theywere going to Buenos Aires. he wasn't sure, but he knows" on one of the days thay are going to brasil":heart: Still a baby, only13!!but one good cricketer.

More news!!! My dear friend's daughter just came 4th in the NSW State Schoolgirls surfing championship. She is now off to Western Australia for the national titles.( a big expense, but a chance to be seen and maybe attract a good sponsor...Go Chani :heart:)

AND, my second son has been selected for his school's Open Rugby Union and soccer teams . His older brother was on the winning Peter Ball Cup open soccer team(it earns $1000 for their school if they win). I can't say I'm that thrilled about him playing rugby...but. I'll be there, cheering them on!!!
GO SOUTH HIGH

YES Amanda, emu.
I recall the sport you and a few others had when i told of my interest in trying to protect the last of local emu population in my area "emus tied to the bonnet of cars and smelly people who dress up their dogs** that's OK, have your fun, love.
But in this case, I am referring to a sporting team, one of which I and I might have hoped, you,would be proud. But the emus can take care of themselves now...I hope!

I am now very very concerned with how they are now structuring the Silver Fern Cup(union) and Peter Ball Cup(soccer). All the games are being held over 2 days. That is too much exertion imho. Quite a few of the players are in both teams. I will be glad when Friday gets here and they are all safe.

PEACE...emulovers:sexywink:

Naimh, you sweet thing

I don't think you should ask me of all people about spelling, especially some word that probably has a spelling rule all of it's own. I struggle:huh: already.:lmao:
anyway, if you happen to return or if one day I point you in this direction..... a word

you mentioned a U2 song book. Filled my olf heart with a nice dose of warm fuzzies, my dear childhood friend, gave me the Neil Young song book for my 18th birthday. It is almosy antique now:) I would advise, depending on how your book is constructed and bound, to write out the lyrics and chords if that is adequate for your purposes. Due to overuse, old age and maybe poor construction,, the pages of the Neil Young book have come adrift, I am sad to say. A"just in case" story for you.
Peace and I would say an Argentinian hockey women's hockey team would be dynamic and skilled. Look out!!!:hug:

Attachments

• neil.jpg
    neil.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 26
cass said:
YES Amanda, emu.
I recall the sport you and a few others had when i told of my interest in trying to protect the last of local emu population in my area "emus tied to the bonnet of cars and smelly people who dress up their dogs** that's OK, have your fun, love.

Cass? Huh? I have no idea what you're talking about.
I made my comment because a friend of mine calls me 'emu' as a nickname. :scratch:

I have no idea how you missed it either salome. maybe it flashed by as quick as a Pakistan innings:( :( :(
And Zooropamanda, Cowgirl, emu, whoever you are today.
Peace,...
I have an emu story...not the sport variety, but where else can i tell my emu stories? At least Salome is interested.

I have taken part in the National Parks and Wildlife Service's effort to save our dwindling and very fragile population of local emus(their different genes are important, they are an isolated community)
The two officers who are conducting the studies have the coolest names imho,gina hart and paul flowers. They were destined to work for NPWS with names like that(gina wears yellow fly glasses....hmm I must ask one day? bono anyone?)
anyway officer hart rang a few days ago to enquire about sightings of emu. I was sorrry to tell her I have only found one scat all year and no sightings. They look for hot spots to do the survey each year. We decided because of the dry , they had probably moved closer to the coast.

ANYway, when my son came home from work that afternoon, he said yet another thing(it's usually people) had tried to run him off the road. As he was coming up our driveway an emu jumped out in front of him and almost hit the car. How's that for timing?so typical...gina gina!!!!, they're back!!! well one at least.

well i think it's funny., they aren't the brightest creatures, but I think they deserve our care. And boy oh boy, when it comes down to it, they are very useful to people. you can get so many products from one emu. We should respect and look to our native fauna...and flora.

I found this fellow the other day. he looks perfect, just lying there , dead. I think it is stress from dryness and smoke. maybe not, but I've found a few like him...be warned it is a pic of a dead kookaburra, only look if it doesn't offend. They are beautiful creatures too.

Attachments

• captkookrip.jpg
    captkookrip.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 23
uh oh..now I'm started

I wanted to show you this pic of Monty Python. He is a permanet resident now, gives me a fright on a daily basis almost. He's very docile...usually. I leaned from a long way back to put those matches there for size comparison. i've tried to measure him, but he's not very co-operative.

umm what has this got to do with sport? ummm nothing, sorry. But that snake does make me feel a bit under pressure.:eyebrow:

Attachments

• montyoct02.jpg
    montyoct02.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 28
hola pita

I am now thinking you may have seen something on televison about the fires near Grafton? They are not near to where I live.
It is going to be a very hot dry summer, we always prepare.

The local bishop who I am very fond of has been putting prayers in the newspaper lately. Last weekend, I thought he may have overdone it...the prayer got a full front page and it said "Lord , I beg you for a storm tonight, the wildest that you own! Oh let your winds awaken me and shake me to the bone"

I don't know who made that one up( Bon Scott?), but the night I first saw U2 in concert, we certainly had one of his wildest storms. Things still aren't rebuilt in the town near where I live from that . It still astounds me, that all-round dramatic event.
Anyway I wish the bishop would just be content with steady rain, no wild shaking thanks.

We are safe thanks pita, but there will be problems to deal with until we get good rain again. It is part of the harsh cyclic climate of our country. It was not that long ago we had floods, the biggest in years.

The bishop's side-kick, Dr Catt wrote a piece I appreciated too. I'll quote this bit from the newspaper.
......"Dr Catt said praying for rain involved much more than asking for something to be given. and urged people to empathise with those in need.
"We should have symapthy for the divine scheme in things, even if it does rain we need to be aware of how we use the environment, how we fit in" he said.
"It's not as if God is a poker machine in the sky and we pull a handle and get three fruits -we must look at the experience of change, otherwise it is just superstition."

3 fruits? LEMONS LEMONS LEMONS......the jackpot!! RAIN!!
I had to post that. I
think it may be uniquely Australian. "the great poker machine in the sky" ( they should be able to relate to that imagery thinks Dr Catt, probably right. Good try anyway.) I like his bit about understanding the scheme. They are a bit of a dynamic duo those two.

o pita ..I rave on..I'm Ok, thank you for asking...I am putting my treasures ( U2 Cds and books , guitars and dogs, in a handy place in case it does head our way and I have to leave suddenly.) I looked around today and thought no way can I fit all this "treasure" in my car...I intend to detach from material possessions...just not yet.
I have chosen to be here instead, but my son is watching an episode of "The X Files" right now...set in Mexico:wave: 2 U up there.

Short answer? there never is one...I'm OK

MR AB..look out, I'm in the comfy chair..once upon a time

a man called MacPhisto made a phone call.
I know because I was there.
I thought he had rung my father, everyone calls him Mr AB.
But no. It was the then captain of the Australian cricket team ,Allan Border.
I thought Bono made an informed choice on who to telephome that night from the Brisbane concert....one of Queensland's own, a blue eyed boy made good ( I totally respect Allan Border)

It's been as hot here lately as it was that day I first saw U2, November 1993.I just saw Allan Border on a big screen on my small TV. It was like de ja vu. He is doing a marathon walk to raise money for children. He will be joined by some of his ex-team mates, people who were THE team, back in my day, Dean Jones, Carl Rackeman etc.

Anyway a bit of Old Aussie cricketing news. They were saying only a man with the heart of Allan Border would still do the walk in the weather conditions we are having here lately. He looked really well on Tv tonight , he has lost a lot of weight.

Good on your Mr Allan "Achtung Baby" Border
walk on Aussie, walk on, walk on
walk on Aussie, walk on

**cass does mexican wave on her own** hmmmm doesn't work does it?
:macdevil: + Mr AB:bow: :heart: :up: :angel: :angel:

definate props for mentioning Bon Scott and Allan Border on the same day

I may have to go to OZ to see some cricket, catch a rock concert and pet an emu

you should have been here yesterday and today then

What do you think of beach volley ball Salome?

U could have had all 3

I saw INXS last night.
As I was driving my friend home this morning to her house at the beach, I said "I know we had a late night, but what is that up ahead?" It was 3 emu chicks, about 60 centimetres high and still with stripey feathers. The male emu sits on the eggs and cares for the young, so dad was standing on the side of the road, trying to convince his surviving chicks to stop playing with cars. There seven chicks in his brood originally . It has quickly got down to 3.
So there's your rock concert and emus...I'm sure we could have found a cricket game somewhere, but the 2 Australian world champ beach volley ballers were there last night at the concert They will be holding a world class tournament at the resort soon and leaving one of the courts in place for the locals to use.( don't worry I haven't played volleyball since high schhol. I'll just be watching)
One of them donated her trophy to auction to raise $$$ for a rugby union player who has become quadraplegic. I thought $1100 for something like that was too cheap. I was doing my best to encourage the rich people, applauding like a lunatic when they spent good dollars.
I think her name is Natalie Pottharst or something, like that.... the girl in the two piece at the Olympics)
immediately made the $5000 top bid for a plane ticket to see INXS in New Zealand (I wanted that).
The Wallaby rugby jumper fetched big dollars.
You missed it man, the alignment, music, sport and emus.

I came back to apologise fro all my flippancy, I keep it light 'cause the options

are so ...anyway
Amanda asked how we would have all got along at school together, set us up a campus, that is a fun thread.
So I just heard what happened in Melbourne earlier today.
I just saw some poor young girl ask'Why do people do things like this?"
I'm just sorry, going on about emus and wallabies and such..

that indeed was a dreadfull event

but there must always be a time and place for cricket, rock concerts and emus

it was one of those things that make you dread watching the news though

with any luck

I may get to meet some of my cricketing heros soon.
I found some more information about "AB's" effort.

ING and AB's trek for kids.
"Allan Border with be walking from Sydney to Brisbane, 1000 kilometres in 31 days. They are selling signed mini-bats and letters etc. to raise money. He is staying overnight in grafton and they are holding a civic reception for him. I might give him a copy of Achtung Baby ( just thought of that!!) and Electrical Storm (because of what happened the night I first saw u2 in concert, AB is a Brisbane boy).

I have the 1990 cricket year book. I might ask him to sign that....maybe. I certainly want to express my appreciation..I should buy my dad one of the bats...hmmm $100, but it is for charity , for kids, and they both are AB's.
Anyway, what a nice thing to be happening.

My youngest son wants to join the BMX racing club...that will be my next 'interest"I've got to learn about berms and gyros and how expensive wheels and cranks are...here we go!!

What a thing..AB is doing the walk right now, he is not far south of here...poor man

The bushfires have flared up, very low humidity very strong winds. It reminds me of when the Olympic rowers were here to train in the Clarence for the 2000 Olympics. The air is thick with smoke, it looks yellow and balck ash getting on every thing. i t blows across for miles on days lik ethis. YUK.
So I feel so sorry for Allan Border. he has a dead line to meet in brisbane, he will want to press on. He shouldn't.

What else did I hear? grafton is hosting a state BMX comp. they have upgraded the track. So I suppoes we'll see what it's about. Well I've been to the track before, I want to talk $$$, it's a costly sport I reckon. cricket is cheaper.

I looked in my 1990 year book today, by Richie Benaud. There are some great pics, a good one of Sir Garfield Sobers, a funny one of imran,mervin,blast from the past...I'm going to watch that moviw tonight. i hope it's good.
anyway, I have to get some $$$ to Ab's trek.
He is a champion my friend....
imagine lots of fireworks there,
now I'm away..this is the song list for the Wallabies fireworks display on Sunday night. It started as soon as INXS ended. It was beautiful, a clear night, great big sound
Queen We Are The Champions
Queen Bohemian Rhapsody
Puccini's Nesuum Dorma
AC/ DC's Thunderstruck...
It was very very very very good. We thought maybe they wouldn't be allowed to use the fireworks, but they have a lagoon and it was a still night, just beautiful
AB trek for kids:wave: good luck

a wise man once said

'my better half Jane wore a pedometer yesterday and she did 79, 000 steps."
AB knows whats going on.
They are almost in Brisbane and have raised about $80,000 from roadside donations. I didn't get to go to meet him, but heard him interviewed on the radio. He is doing about 55kms a day and they were teasing him about his sexy calves and saying he might be able to come out at #4 for the test opener.... it was a triple J interview.

So no autographs from the "burgerman Mc AB"
One day, maybe...
not
But if,
I definitely make sure he has a copy of
AB

trek for kids:up:

not an emu this time

a bloody great hulking WALLABY!!!( kind of)

One my eldest son's school days mates had gone on to a professional Rugby Union career.He has been selected to play International Rugby 7's for Australia in South Africa and Dubai in December. He is only 20!! A baby imho...a BIG baby
I don't know how much time he will get on the field or if any of you watch it..but
go like the wind
AJ WHALLEY
Former Grafton Redman
Big River Country
Fine hard-working young man ,he earned this:up:
Godspeed...literally, you'll need it, don't let them catch you.:wave:

Last edited:
musiclovers, this could be it...th elast emu/sports update from the Clarence

The Daily Examiner"
EMU SPOTTERS THANKED.

More than 30 volunteers and staff of NPSW took part in the Great Emu Coastal Survey recently.
Ranger Gina Hart:heart: said ( I'll summarise here)
results based on the survey and recount sightings estimate the coastal poulation to be less than 100 emus. This is the last population of emus found on the coast of New South Wales..."

So there you go...in case u were wondering. It's a bit better than I hoped for, but it is not a secure number by far. I justthink they were here first and deserve some place...but I don't think they will survive in to the future...so that's it for emu news:wave:

The Harley Sweepers ( not strikers) won their first game last night. Funny rules to the game, it makes it fast and furious. I will only go to one or two games of a 10 game comp. I'm not "the watermum" anymore...it's secret men's business.
There is a women's comp too i noticed , one of their team names amused me.What was it? hang on........
RED MEANS FAST
I love it..go girls!!!
The Sweepers are up againstThe Undertakers? eww The Gropers? ewww ( it's a local fish, the comp is at the beach) The Gunners, the Cowboys, Boca Juniors, No Idea, Brazil, Punkers, Funny Bunnies......I'll stop
GO THE BEARS
in summer-time aka the HARLEY SWEEPERS

one more thing I thought was vcool

Allan Border completed his trek for kids. I couldn't get along to cheer him on. Our local army reserve unit accompanied him through the Clarence Valley. One of the lads/soldiers is from our high school he was quoted as saying it was a unique experience and good to see the community support he received. Well said,
Private DeBono.

I Love that name. I always notice on the roll . AB & Debono, together again.:yes:

I suppose I could pretend this didn't happen

but it did!! how shameful. My son told me, on the whole trek alan border only had problems in one area...Grafton. He and his party were staying in motel rooms. Some lowlife broke into AB's sister's room and stole the cash donations they had collected that day and a lap top etc. Sad isn't it?
I think I have discovered a new summer thing to keep me off the net...listening to the cricket commentary on the radio....I'd forgotten how funny that can be:eeklaugh:
Conratulations to Leyton Hewitt. he has achieved so much for one so young and is maturing into a solid sportsman. He is meant to be resting for the Australian Open, but in th emeantime he is participating in coaching clinics. One local 13 year old boy has been on the the 40 chosen across the state to take part. He's not that much older than them.

Ummmmm, I've been finding lots of emu poo, "freshies" that always makes me happy:yes: :wink: . Zjohn Williamson has a cool number plate..EMU333...:wave:

I don't quite understand the sin of pride

I feel pride I think,I certainly feel love. Such a busy week. The "chicks" off to Argentina. My son's mate left to start his career with Manly Football Club on Sunday( they sure are taking care of him, house , job etc, GOOD) and a boy who I cared for a lot(and his baby bro and sister) when there dad died so young. The boy is now 17 and successful and just flew to Germany to spend 8weeks with the German lad who stayed here. So many kids doing so many good things. I spent last night with my friends two little sons....it's official...I LOVE KIDS!!!(and history and cartography...the 10 year old had an assignment...good fun)

I just got back from watching my first 7-a-side soccer game. Boy that is fast and furious and boy that son #2 of mine can play , if I do say so myself. He is FAST and so keen. The team is called the Harley Sweepers, they have a new fan.. they offered me one of their shirts because it was raining. I want to keep it!!Woolgoolga is a very "scenic" place to watch soccer:sexywink: :drool: :eyebrow:

so woopi , I'm just happy:yes:

latest sports report...more local pride

my dear friend's daughter has just surfed 6 foot waves at Margaret River West Australia in the Australian National titles.
there was an article about her achievements in today's newspaper.
She has only just turned 16 , and surfed in the Under 18's...she has 2 more years in that division!.
She is the only person that travelled there from this area. in the Scholastic Titles they surf as a team of two, taking the points from their best 2 waves each. She had to surf on her own, only scoring with 2 waves. I think there would be a phsychological disadvantage too, not having a team mate and being so very far from home. She almost won, on her own, she was only 2.5 points behind the winner. As a result they have made her an honourary member of the National team. I'm a wee bit proud...I remember seeing her for the first time when she was about 6 months old and thinking she was the cutest baby I had seen. She has become good friends with my neice as they have lots of surf contests where she lives. I'm pleased about that too.
We are nervously awaiting the contract signing . it looks like Billabong have noticed her and may sponsor her**fingers crossed** it will be a great finanacial help. Her mum works so hard for so little. she is my struggling artist friend, who works with children in distress..some of the stories. She does that and also has raised 5 great kids of her own. I love them. Well done muadib.
And my son's housemate's girlfriend, a local, just got an Australian sporting blue for netball. She hopes to play for Australia. Gosh it's just astounding watching them create their lives.
**cass faints**
over and out for a six

Back
Top Bottom