"Emo" music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Okay guys - please explain "Emo" music.

My little "brother" who is part of Gen-Y and is 19, loves Jimmy Eat World, Dashboard Confessional and the Get Up Kids.

I have tried to listen to it, but it is all so whiney and not very interesting. It reaks of "teen spirit" and the music is very adolescent IMO.

What do you think?

LOL I love some of the "emo" bands! Saves The Day by far is th best. Anyways "emo" means "Emoition" so pretty much its just that guys found away to sound girly in their songs and still sound cool. Jimmy Eat World isnt that whiney though, just listen to their one song "Bleed American" and you'll see what I mean.:drool:

I'm going to a Dashboard Confessinal with Weezer concert in July! Hehe.:yes:

I adore the Strokes, and am glad to see new bands make it big to kick rap-rock bands like Limp Bizkit out of the spotlight. I don't care who their influences are, everyone is influenced by somebody. I'd rather have new bands like the Strokes getting out there and having a chance versus no new bands at all.

dashboard confessional are perhaps the worst band to grace the earth since starsailor, muse, and creed. urgh makes me angry even to think about them.

i'm pretty ambivalent about jimmy eat world. they've made some intelligent pop tunes, I guess.

Starsailor=blah, as in crap.:yes:
Creed is the worst thing to walk this Earth.. ever!:yes:
I still think Dashboard Confessinal is cool anyways:yes:

take that back! starsailor is great!

that being said, don't like the other stuff. I wouldn't categorize Jimmy Eats World as emo. Creed is emo-- blah. Dashboard-- I like the single and the singer is hot but still eh, whatever. Linkin Park-- emo and can't spell so that's an automatic two point deduction. hmmm....I guess I'm too old to understand what the young people are listening to. Damn me for being 25! and kids-- if you feel you're life is sad and depressing come work with me and I'll show you what sad and depressing is really like!

Yeah... and LPark have never been considered Emo.. but Jimmy Eat World surely are.

I :heart: Starsailor. They are incredible.

HelloAngel said:
Yeah... and LPark have never been considered Emo.. but Jimmy Eat World surely are.

I :heart: Starsailor. They are incredible.

Really...LPark isn't emo....and Jimmy is? I'm so out of touch with the youth today. ok, back to Starsailor and The Hives, both of which are NOT emo [especially not The Hives]

Through the influence of a friend of mine I have earned to hate the term emo.

I also know that a true 'emoite' would probably hate you guys labeling Jimmy Eat World or Creed as Emo, they pride themselves on being in a subculture and following bands that nobody has heard of.
You'll want to check out Bright Eyes if you want a real taste of emo, they're the kings of it.
The music is actually quite alright but the lyrics are so hopeless and disparing that even me, a self professed depresso-maniac, that get annoyed by it.
There has to be some balance in your music afterall, I think.

Also, check out this site.
Do you fall under one of these categories? :mac:
Are You Emo??

Linkin Park = Emo? Creed = Emo? ::shudders::

Dashboard Confessional is often used as an example of Emo. So many bands and so many fans of bands claim 'emo this' and 'emo that'... The word 'emo' has begun to get a bad rap. Rivers Cuomo of Weezer loathes his band being called emo, but they're often labeled as that. It's so hard to say whether you like or hate emo, because it seems as though everyone has different definitions of it. The day Creed becomes Emo is a dark day indeed. I don't know where Linkin Park fits in. Usually, mild punk bands seem to mistakenly be labeled as Emo...

We could argue for hours about what bands are emo and what bands aren't. I'm in high school no, and well, that's basically what the music scene is here with the 'young people' in New Jersey. You have to have some knowledge on this sort of thing. I think it's better to be Emo than to be a Teenybopper. I think the majority of teens infact are NOT teenyboppers. That's one pet peeve most of my generation have- I've noticed it around the forum, adolescents are often labeled as 'happy stupid kids who go for Linkin Park and N'sync.' Not true.

Jimmy Eat World is good, very popular. Emo? Debatable. But it's very hard to give examples since many people associate Emo with Depressing-Punk. Emo isn't just songs about depression, emotion is the key word. I think Emo is a very trivial word though, cause don't U2 songs display emotion? U2 is definitely not Emo, more like mainstream rock... I'd like Dashboard more if all of their songs weren't about having a lack of self esteem. The Getupkids, Saves the Day, never ever expected those names to come up on this kind of message board.

Bleh, to sum up this post: Hard to classify Emo, hard to give opinion on it. Better to like Emo music than to like Teenybopper pop music or Rap. Emo is very much adolescent-sounding, which is the reason why many adolescents listen to it. :D And I don't really have an opinion on it: don't hate it, don't love it. Give me some U2!

Basstrap- just saw that emo site. So true. Scary.

Last edited:
Not sure how Creed was brought into this as an Emo example.. :no: They are the bastard child of arena rock that just got out of the asylum.

As for Emo, and whoever band of the week that is labeled Emo, it's all subjective.. :cool:

I do find the male singers very whiney. Chris Carrabba is such a whiner. That Unplugged episode he just did was silly. The lyrics aren't bad, though. Just very adolescent. Not a bad thing. Adolescence is a very deep period of one's life. :wink:

Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited:
OMG! I saw the website, that sounds so much like my brother its not even funy!:shocked: And the girls part sorta sounds like me[like with the braclet, headband, belt, bands, and bag, I also got the glasses but I only use them to read.]

I am such a geek!

:yes:

Ms. Hello told me in confidence she SECRETLY DIGS Creed.

DB9
;)

My bro just turned me on to StarSailor:)

diamond said:
Ms. Hello told me in confidence she SECRETLY DIGS Creed.

DB9
;)

My bro just turned me on to StarSailor:)

WATCH IT, DIAMOND DOG. :mad:

Or I'll be forced to tell the Forum about the panty incident. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom