Eminem's new political song "Mosh" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2004, 02:36 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
these people have every right to voice their opinion as anyone else. it's up to you whether or not you agree with it. this whole "oh shut up if you're a celebrity" is lame. if i had an ounce of credibility, was popular or relevant to any extent, and of course was american i'd do whatever it took to get bush out of power.
This is pretty much the exact same thing I was going to post. I admit I get a trifle annoyed when I see a celebrity on TV stumping for a candidate I dislike, but this is what it comes down to, people: free speech. They have just as much right to sing stupid love songs or act in movies as they do voice their political opinion. Abusing your position of power is obviously not good at all, but I mean c'mon -- everyone seems to like it so much when Bono stands up for important causes like AIDS, but isn't it a bit hypocritical to tell celebrities to shut up when they actually try to help a political cause? And yes, I know, their effort is minimal at best, but it might at least enlighten a few minds.

Old 10-29-2004, 03:15 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

if you don't like america you can ggghhheeeettttt out!

ps is your locale correct, i.e. finland?
no, nothing about me is correct.

your comment about me getting out of america is rather humorous...you intended it to be, yes?

Old 10-29-2004, 04:12 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

no, nothing about me is correct.

your comment about me getting out of america is rather humorous...you intended it to be, yes?
i've always known that there was nothing right about you.

yes, humor. south park reference.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:15 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 02:52 AM
I saw this video last night. I liked it. I think music is a powerful tool to voice your politcal beliefs. I would much rather hear a song than to listen to some actor.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:05 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This "shut up and sing" stuff is complete BS. True, some artists are more effective than others at expressing their beliefs, but telling them to shut up is un-American.

(Edited to add that even though I don't agree with them, I believe Toby Keith, Ted Nugent, etc. have just as much right to speak out as Bruce Springsteen, Eminem and the Dixie Chicks).
Old 10-30-2004, 01:45 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
This "shut up and sing" stuff is complete BS. True, some artists are more effective than others at expressing their beliefs, but telling them to shut up is un-American.

(Edited to add that even though I don't agree with them, I believe Toby Keith, Ted Nugent, etc. have just as much right to speak out as Bruce Springsteen, Eminem and the Dixie Chicks).
agreed.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:50 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23

zoomerang96 I think you should shutup
Old 10-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 03:52 AM
I really don't mind that Eminem is doing this. I saw the video and thought it was pretty good (better than that other piece of crap video he has out now). But at least he is getting out there and doing something about his political views and i can't hurt all that much. Now if only we could teach Micheal Moore to rap...on second thought that is a bad idea
Old 10-30-2004, 03:20 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:52 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zoomerang96
i love it! i hope they play it all the time from now until the election.

i don't care who says it, or how much they know about politics, it doesnt take a brilliant mind to realize that bush is the head of the most disgusting political party in the western world.

it's funny, everyone outside the united states hates bush and the republicans. you'd think that'd leave some sort of impression on the minds of folks who vote for him.

ah well, sucks for them cause kerry's gonna win on tuesday. if not, i guess we can all look forward to more wars, further trillion dollar defecits, and yes, a shitty economy.
[/QUOTE

I agree with you on this one also.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:27 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Catman
I really don't like all these celebrities putting their 2 cents in concerning politics. I'd wager over half of the twats being so outspoken in the election don't even know what the hell they're talking about...it's like they just want the public to view them as something more than a pretty face who got lucky, so they act like they're actually concerned with the state of things, when in reality (mainly just my opinion), they don't care.

...sorry, but I'm always questioning people's (mainly celebrities) motives. Yes, I'm very cynical
I think it's kinda assumptive to think that the celebrities who take the time to "speak out" (or the "twats" as you called them) don't know what they're talking about - just because they live in a rarified world doesn't mean they don't live in THE world. They have actually seen more of the world than most of us - including meeting people of many different cultures and political beliefs. Eminem, whether any of us agree with him, is a very, very bright man. I think it's good for him to show his fans and the people who respect him that it's "cool" to be interested in politics - no matter who you vote for.

Yes, some celebrities and their causes are suspect - but to assume "they don't care" just isn't true. Of course they care - they watch the news just like we do.

Now, celebrity endorsements for products I often scoff at like Queen Latifah doing voice work for Pizza Hut.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:00 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Eminem, whether any of us agree with him, is a very, very bright man. I think it's good for him to show his fans and the people who respect him that it's "cool" to be interested in politics - no matter who you vote for.

Thank you! I am tired of feeling like I am one of the few people to ever defend Eminem here. I am not actually a fan but I hate that some people here are constantly bashing other bands and artists. Stating personal likes and dislikes is one thing, but the complete lack of respect is sad.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:04 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I like a lot of Eminem's music, and I think it's great that he is encouraging young people to vote.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:10 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Why does Zoomerang96 hate finland?

That's a question with a question mark but it's ok, I'll find out the answer soon enough. I've got 'friends' on the caaaassssssseeeeeeeee(nema).
Old 10-31-2004, 04:47 AM   #29
Refugee

Location: Ashburn, VA (and permanently residing in u2bonogirls head!)
Local Time: 06:52 AM
I think I saw in an interview about this new video that Eminem had never voted before. That immediately makes me skeptical that he's been paying attention to the world. Entertainers who wade into the political world have every right to do so. But once they cease to be entertaining, I have the right to vote with my dollars. And when entertainers stump for this cause and that cause or this politician or that politician, I'll decide whether or not I still want to pay them to be my entertainment.
What really bugs me is when the public has a backlash, the artist whines about being censored. A la The Dixie Chicks. Um, sweetheart, that wasn't censorship. The radio stations decided that you weren't entertaining anymore. And they have listeners they choose to support.
Censorship is when the Government silences you, and that hasn't happened. What has happened is that reporters and people have voted with their pocketbooks.
Celebrities have the right to say just about anything, but there are costs involved. If you say something everyone agrees with, you get good will and more album sales, if you say something incendiary, you get ill will and poor album sales. It's their right to decide if it's more important to deliver their message, or if it's more important to stay rich.
Eminem is talented, but I don't think that he would be the first one I would take advice from, unless I wanted to get into music as a white rapper. Then it would be wise of me to get his advice
Old 10-31-2004, 05:20 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:52 PM
No offence but something tells me a lot of people who will vote this year have never voted before. Four years is a steep learning curve.

Agreed that there's no reason to take advice from anyone unless you respect them. It's all part of the background noise that is Election 2004!