Elvis Costello has a new fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Sometimes it's a real good thing to be completely bored with everything you usually listen to; it causes you to try new things you may have never even thought of.

Listening to My Aim Is True and This Year's Model back-to-back was an eye-opening experience. The man is brilliant. :drool: I love his voice. His music makes me glad to be alive. It makes me want to pick up a guitar and write something special; all great things. :yes:

I know there are many Elvis fans here, so I'd like to ask what you would recommend for me next. I've only heard the first couple, and preferred My Aim Is True (This Year's Model was good too, with songs like You Belong To Me and Lip Service boasting some amazing melodies). :slant:

Welcome to the club. :)
Elvis Costello has released so many records there are always some you really like (and probably also some you won't care for).
As Dorian Gray said, Armed Forces (his third album) is stellar. A bit poppier (in sound) than This Year's Model, it's still very much early Elvis. Spitting out 2 1/2 minute lashes of fury.

A personal favourite of mine is Imperial Bedroom. This is more elaborate, more in a grander setting. Some refer to this as EC's Sgt. Pepper's (also because Beatles engineer Geoff Emerick was producing it), but apart from the high quality of material and diversity of styles, it doesn't sound like that album.
Another great album is Blood & Chocolate. On this 1986 album he went back to his roots of guitar, drums, bass and keyboards and performing these charged songs.
Of course, I can't forget Get Happy!! which has a slight soul influence (though still staying close to his 2 1/2 minute-a-song style). 20 Songs in less than 50 minutes, that's the way to go.

One other piece of advise. Try to get the 2CD Rhino reissues. Those are the best sounding versions of the albums. And each one has an extra disc with rarities (demo's, outtakes, live versions, B sides, etc.).

You won't be disappointed!

:)

LemonMelon said:
Thanks! Any opinion on Trust?

Ah, Trust. That was the first EC album I got (apart from a Very Best Of... a couple of years earlier). So it has a special place in my heart.
Some consider it still part of his classic opening streak (My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, Armed Forces, Get Happy!! and Trust) and some don't. This should already tell you it's a very strong album.
Trust is stylistically very diverse (i.e. all over the place with country ballads, pop songs, punky new wave, etc.). It also didn't have any major hits, hence it gets a bit overlooked. But it has enough high points to appreciate the genius of Elvis Costello. Shot With His Own Gun is brilliant! :up:

So yes, my opinion on Trust is very favourite. :)

i like him too, i dont know too much about him. whats an album that has more new wave stuff on it?

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
i like him too, i dont know too much about him. whats an album that has more new wave stuff on it?

His 'new wave' album is This Year's Model (with Armed Forces having 'poppy new wave' and Blood & Chocolate having 'back to the roots grungy new wave').

So take your pick. :)
(all three are great, BTW)

Listen to what Popmartijn says, he knows of what he speaks. If you liked MAIT and TYM you will most likely enjoy Armed Forces & Get Happy. I don't have all the Rhino reissues but the Armed Forces one is stellar, with some wonderful B-sides and a good chunk of a great early concert from Hollywood High School. Plus a very informative booklet :up:

I would start with those first four and from there probably move on to Imperial Bedroom and Blood & Chocolate. :)

WTG LM!

Just for the record, those Rhino reissues have booklets with all the lyrics. And more importantly, liner notes by Elvis himself. They are quite witty and have lots of details about the songs. :up:

Ah, glad you started this thread, I've been wondering the same thing as you (though I still have yet to hear a Costello album in its entirety, so this really helps). Imperial Bedroom, from what I've read about it, always sounded particularly interesting to me-will definitely keep an eye out for that one, along with some of those first albums in particular.

Yeah. Only familiar with a handful of Elvis Costello's songs, but what I've heard is definitely all very cool stuff :up:.

Angela

Popmartijn said:
Just for the record, those Rhino reissues have booklets with all the lyrics. And more importantly, liner notes by Elvis himself. They are quite witty and have lots of details about the songs. :up:

:love: That's always appreciated!

:heart: Elvis :heart:

Listen to Popmartijn, as hardyharhar stated. Mind you, hardy is a huge fan too.

What a talent, glad you are discovering him LM! Seen Elvis live many a time, and never ever disappointed :love:

I plan to discover the man further down the road... I've been intrigued every since listening to whatever he and Burt Bacharach sang on Austin Powers 2.

I'm starting to really get into Elvis Costello's music as well. So far, I only have "Mighty Like A Rose", but I really love the songs on that album. I'm not sure if that's considered one of his best, though. :scratch:

I've heard bits and snippets of My Aim Is True, and I've enjoyed what I've heard. :cool:

COBL_04 said:
I plan to discover the man further down the road... I've been intrigued every since listening to whatever he and Burt Bacharach sang on Austin Powers 2.

Then a good starting point for you might be Painted From Memory, the album Costello and Bacharach did together.

ShipOfFools said:
I'm starting to really get into Elvis Costello's music as well. So far, I only have "Mighty Like A Rose", but I really love the songs on that album. I'm not sure if that's considered one of his best, though. :scratch:

I personally don't really like that one. But there are others who say it's his best album. So the opinions vary a lot. As probably with any album by any artist. :)

BTW, if you like Mighty Like A Rose, then you might also like Spike. That's the album he did before Mighty... and is also a very eclectic collection of songs. I like Spike a lot. :up: Imperial Bedroom is then maybe also a good next choice, as that one is also quite eclectic (but has a slightly more cohesive sound as he still plays with his backing band The Attractions on that one).

I'd like to make a recommendation of 2002's When I Was Cruel, which I think is his best album since at least Blood & Chocolate, even if not as rocking as 1994's Brutal Youth. Very fresh sounding, with EC trying a lot of new things musically. It also has 2 of the Attractions playing on it.

lazarus said:
I'd like to make a recommendation of 2002's When I Was Cruel, which I think is his best album since at least Blood & Chocolate, even if not as rocking as 1994's Brutal Youth. Very fresh sounding, with EC trying a lot of new things musically. It also has 2 of the Attractions playing on it.

I played that record earlier today and yes, it's a very strong record. His new backing band The Imposters, that he first used on When I Was Cruel, is also great. Not surprisingly since it's The Attractions, but with a different bass player (Davey Farragher replacing Bruce Thomas).

Thanks for the link :). Wow. That was pretty darn good. I like how he didn't just imitate U2's version, he made it sound like it could've been one of his own songs. And that ending was pretty emotional, too. The guitar work throughout from both guys was fantastic as well.

Cute introduction-I loved the "Celtic tiger" comment :D.

Good stuff, thanks again for that. Go, Elvis!

Angela

Back
Top Bottom