Elvis Costello - Allison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone know/like this song? I just heard it for the first time last week and I can't get over the chorus melody that goes over 'I know this world is killing you'. It is one of the catchiest melodies I've heard in a pop song in a while.

Elvis Costello is a complete and utter genius and one of the greats of modern music and never let it be said otherwise! :rockon:

Alison is beautiful in that at that time he was really famous for his fast, punk-new wave sound with really acerbic lyrics and then he comes out with this ballad. As I said, man's a genius! :drool:

You've just heard it for the first time? OMG!!! Have you been living under a rock :wink: (Perhaps you are just young). Elvis is a genius and in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. He's amongst great company :wink:

Really, you just heard that for the first time?

Wow, do I feel old.

But I'm glad you heard it. It's a classic. :up:

blueeyedgirl said:

Alison is beautiful in that at that time he was really famous for his fast, punk-new wave sound with really acerbic lyrics and then he comes out with this ballad. As I said, man's a genius! :drool:

Yeah, and then he went on to do a country record and a Burt Bacharach record and a classical record and did someone say genius?

edit: oops, sorry, didn't see Lila's post, and didn't mean to rub it in about hearing it for the first time. :huh:

Last edited:
I adore this song.. had it stuck in my head a lot recently cause I was staying in the flat of my friend's cousin's fiance and the cousins name was Alison.

I need to listen to more other stuff by EC though.. that's about the only song by him I know.

we own almost all the Elvis CDs (probably missing some from the 90s era). Elvis is brilliant, and I've seen him many times. My husband is constantly playing his live recordings. As much as we play U2 ones, :giggle: And he finally found the show he attended earlier this year. Now if I could just find the Audioslave from 5/20 at the Wiltern, I will be a happy camper ::sexywink:

Dionisius said:
Where should I start for Elvis Costello? :reject:

I understand your problem. Elvis Costello has released so many great records it's hard to pick a good starting point. I think that his Very Best Of that was released in 1999 (it has a green, Warholian cover of an Elvis mugshot) is a very good starting point. That 2CD collection has 42 songs sampling (almost) his whole career up to then.

If you want to go for albums then there are plenty of options to choose from:
- My Aim Is True (1977): His excellent debut that has 'Alison' and 'Watching The Detectives'
- This Year's Model (1978): A bit more New Wave than his pub-rock debut. Has 'Radio, Radio' and 'Pump It Up'
- Armed Forces (1979): A bit poppier. Has 'Accidents Will Happen' and '(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding'
- Get Happy (1980): His soul-influenced album. 20 tracks in less that 50 minutes! :up: With 'High Fidelity' and 'New Amsterdam'
- Trust (1981): An eclectic mix, but not less brilliant. Has 'Clubland' and 'New Lace Sleeves'
- Imperial Bedroom (1982): As great as the other records are, this is one of his masterpieces. With 'Beyond Belief' and 'Man Out Of Time'
- King Of America (1986): More country influenced. With 'Brilliant Mistake' and his version of 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood'
- Blood & Chocolate (1986): Yes, two great albums in the same year! Raw and back to basics, but with 'I Want You'

And his most recent albums When I Was Cruel and The Delivery Man are very good too. I guess this doesn't make it any easier, sorry... :reject:

One more word of advice, in the recent years all these records have been re-issued with remastered sound, an essay by EC himself and a bonus disc with era-specific tracks. If you want to get one of these albums, get the re-issued version. It's totally worth it, as some of his B-sides are also amazing (like Big Tears, My Funny Valentine, Talking In The Dark and Girl's Talk to name just a few).

C ya!

Marty

Thanks Popmartijn.

You're right. I was confuse when I looked for Elvis Costello's cds.
There were sooo many of them :wink:
Than the Best it is :drool:

Back
Top Bottom