Elvis Costello?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Does anyone have any info on him?

I saw a song he did with Burt Bacharach (did I spell that right?) in the Austin Powers movie which I liked a lot, plus I heard the "Allison...I know this world is killing you" snippet which I liked too.

What should I know about him?

U2girl said:
Does anyone have any info on him?

I saw a song he did with Burt Bacharach (did I spell that right?) in the Austin Powers movie which I liked a lot, plus I heard the "Allison...I know this world is killing you" snippet which I liked too.

What should I know about him?

Where should I begin?

He's one of the best songwriters to come out of the punk/new-wave movement (together with Bono of course). During his carreer he has incorporated many musical styles, from power-pop (his first records such as My Aim Is True, This Year's Model and Oliver's Army), soul (Get Happy!), country (Almost Blue), reggae (his song Watching The Detectives from My Aim Is True) and classical music (The Juliet Letters together with the Brodsky Quartet and last year he released another collaboration with a classical singer).
He has released so many great songs it's impossible to list them all here. If you can find it, buy the 2-CD The Very Best Of that came out a few years ago (it has a yellow/green popart-style cover of Costello's face).

And he's a very big U2-fan :)

You should definately check him out! As I said, it's difficult to give song suggestions, but after Alison you should also hear:
- I Want You
- Pump It Up
- Oliver's Army
- I Don't Wanna Go To Chelsea
- Almost Blue
- New Amsterdam
- Shipbuilding
- Watching The Detectives
- (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love & Understanding

C ya!

Marty (who can name at least a dozen other Costello classics)

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame this year.

Watching the Dectectives is my favorite song of his.

Now is so the perfect time to get into Elvis Costello because he is re-releasing a bunch of his old albums and including bonus tracks and liner notes. The two-disc The Very Best of Elvis Costello is a great place to start if you want to get to know more about this completely amazing singer-songwriter. And if you liked that Costello/Bacharach moment from Austin Powers, Painted From Memory (the album they did together) is tremendous!

33735%3A%3B523232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3C3%3A%3D%3A58%3Dxroqdf%3E2323353%3C49697ot1lsi

I think Elvis stole Bono's sunglasses! :lol:

I thought the performance by Elvis C. and the Attractions at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony was the best of the night.

Back
Top Bottom