Elton John

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
Appreciate.:bow:

I'll admit his last few albums haven't been spectacular, but the main is one of the most brilliant artists of all time. He has so many classic songs that tell stories that touch you right in the heart. I just saw him on "Inside The Actors Studio" and I'm pretty sure I :heart: him even more now, if that's possible.

:shifty: Where are my Elton fans?

I'm coming round :wink:

I just downloaded I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues, Rocket Man, Tiny Dancer, I'm Still Standing, and a few others.

Plus my name's Daniel :wink:

I can't remember the name of the album, but the recent album that had "This Train Don't Stop Here Anymore" is really good. That song is amazing. I heard good things about his last album as well.

I've recently come to really love Rocket Man and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, which just has the most amazing melody line all the way through. I'm a little sick of Levon and Tiny Dancer, but they're still great songs. I wish Take Me to the Pilot was on the 2-disc hits collection I have.

I have a soft spot for some of his 80s and 90s output as well, like I'm Still Standing and Believe. And I like the Lion King songs, but I much prefer the soundtrack versions and not the Elton John versions. :wink:

He's become a prissy old hen & I'm not crazy about most of his more recent work, but I still love the guy! :bow: Given the opportunity, I would jump on the chance to see him live - even if his newer stuff is hokey. :giggle:

I was going to start a thread about this in the near future. In my opinion, Elton's early albums are absolutely some of the finest in classic rock history. Just look at this sequence of albums, all released between 1970 and 1973:
Elton John
Tumbleweed Connection
Madman across the Water
Honky Chateau
Don't Me Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
It is a shame that Taupin is such a terrible lyricist, although it is testament to Elton's incredible talent that his music brings the listener to forget about the frequently innane lyrics.

I love a lot of his older songs, especially Rocket Man, Honky Cat, and Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting. I have his first greatest hits album, but I need to find one of the ones that has a few of his 80s tunes on it, too. He and Bernie Taupin have written some terrific songs over the years.

Tumbleweed Connection is one of my favorite albums ever.

There aren't a whole lot of songs better than My Father's Gun.

I've always been a fan of Elton John. His early work is incredible, and while he's had some poor releases here and there, there's no denying how great his musical output has been over the last four decades.

And he's been having a nice resurgence in his career with his last few albums.

I always get a little teary eyed when I hear Your Song. I love that one :heart:

Saw a little bit of his Red Piano tour show on cable over the weekend. Just a couple of songs, but still very cool. I caught Rocket Man amongst others...

If you ever get the chance, check out the Ephesus show from the Dream Ticket DVD set. Just Elton and a piano, and absolutely mesmorizing. I believe that selections from the show can be found on YouTube.

Oh, I meant to add someone save my life tonight is one of a very few songs that will make me cry, so many memories from his songs :sad:

Back
Top Bottom