Elton John

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevation2u

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Yes, I checked the band index and no there wasn't any appreciation for Sir Elton John
while I don't care too much for him nowadays his backintheday work is rockin..I just got the Greatest Hits on vinyl and can't stop playin it.

Honky cat, Saturday Night..., Bennie and the jets, Yello brick road, :dance:

are there any Elton fans here at all?

or should I hide in the box already?

:reject:

elton is awesome. everyone needs a little tiny dancer in their lives :wink:
daniel, rocketman, your song.... all classics

I was just rocking some Country Comfort and it felt pretty good, I must say.

Since we're all on a network here, we can take music off each other's computers at our leisure. My roommate took all five of my Elton records but never listens to them. I think he took them just to look eclectic.

ahhhh, at least he borrowed them
in my dorms, i must say all the girls had absolutely no taste in music, an as a music elitist i should have taught them better, [i keed, i keed]

there were a couple guys who made it up for the entire building, we burned cds back and forth like crazy mofos....

but yes, i came upon too many of these so called "eclectics" who cant even name one song of all these bands they claim to love...

but hopefully, you will meet at least one person who you can leech onto and suck their good music collection

I wish I could find my article I did for the paper last year about how kids all wear Hendrix or Zep shirts and have no idea what the music is. I'll fish around for it when I'm at home this weekend.

I really like Elton:wink:

Your Song,Rocket Man, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, The Bitch Is Back, Philadelphia Freedom,I Want Love,This Train Don't Stop There Anymore.... just to list a few great tunes:up:

elevation2u said:
Yes, I checked the band index and no there wasn't any appreciation for Sir Elton John
while I don't care too much for him nowadays his backintheday work is rockin..I just got the Greatest Hits on vinyl and can't stop playin it.

Well, I really liked some songs from From The Westcoast Motel (or whatever the name of the album was). I Want Love is a classic. :up:
And yes, his early work is excellent. I love Someone Saved My Life Tonight. He's the most successful British solo artist ever (in the USA). I think he was in the Billboard Hot 100 for at least one week each year between 1970 and 2001 or so. That's an amazing achievement! :eek:

I really like Elton. Candle In The Wind got me thinking about his catalogue a little while ago, and I realised how much I like him.

Elton John's Greatest Hits (the first one...released way back when...) was the first album I ever bought. I played it constantly. Nearly drove everyone around me completely insane. :D

I still really like the early stuff. I really haven't listened to much of his stuff past 1975, but his early catalog is exceptional. :yes:

He had his moment in the sun, but it's hard to forgive the non-stop shite train that is 1975 onwards.

I like a few early songs though. As long as you remember it's idiot savant lyric writing (not Elton's fault admittedly) and pretend it's all in a foreign language, it's great.

I've always liked Elton John. Obviously, his classic period pre-1975 is incredible, but I'll admit I like quite a lot of stuff from later on as well. His last two albums have been an excellent return to form.

I've recently gone on an EJ binge with some of the classic stuff, and I'm immensely digging it. I've been a fan of Elton's from a singles perspective but never got to hear the albums in full aside from Yellow Brick Road.

My first purchase was Capt. Fantastic simply because I needed to own Someone Saved My Life Tonight, which I think is one of the best songs ever written and recorded. Part of what makes it great is that although Elton didn't write the lyrics, it's totally about him and his own personal crisis The rest of the album's awesome too, and it was nice to get Philadelphia Freedom as the bonus track--an old guilty pleasure.

Next I bought Tumbleweed Connection which is equally good. My Father's Gun, and the other songs with Father/Son/Gun references as well. Kind of a concept album.

Just picked up Honky Chateau, which I'm not feeling as much as the other two but it's still good.

Anyone have a suggestions as to whether Rock of the Westies or Madman Across the Water should be next?

and I'm also wondering about Songs From the West Coast really being that good or is it just overrated? The last thing chronologically from EJ that I can remember is I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, and that was a LONG time ago.

I love Elton John. I saw him in '73 when Rod Stewart cancelled his show & the venue replaced with Elton John tickets (if you wanted.) It was when Goodbye Yellow Brick Road came out & his show was awesome. I remember his platform shoes that would put Bono's to shame. I saw Elton again a couple years ago and he was still incredible--non stop action & performance. There were audience members of all ages.

lazarus said:

Anyone have a suggestions as to whether Rock of the Westies or Madman Across the Water should be next?

Definitely Madman Across The Water. The title track alone is worth it, and then you've got two huge classics in Tiny Dancer and Levon as well.

Back
Top Bottom