Elliott Smith - RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not pleased at the early comparisons to jeff Buckley

JB cannot hold a flame to Elliott

Elliott smith will not be another jeff buckley because his music was honest and genuine and heartfelt personal stuff...and it was not often lovey dovey candy music....it was bleak..and I don't think such bleak music will obtain a huge cult following

but he understood music....he understood that it was not a means to get money and fame. music was an outlet, a therapy...music is a personal thing. he understood that

Basstrap said:
I'm not pleased at the early comparisons to jeff Buckley

JB cannot hold a flame to Elliott

Elliott smith will not be another jeff buckley because his music was honest and genuine and heartfelt personal stuff...and it was not often lovey dovey candy music....it was bleak..and I don't think such bleak music will obtain a huge cult following

but he understood music....he understood that it was not a means to get money and fame. music was an outlet, a therapy...music is a personal thing. he understood that

They are both no longer with us, they both gave to the world, and they were taken early.

Do we really have to have a pissing contest to see who's better?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

They are both no longer with us, they both gave to the world, and they were taken early.

Do we really have to have a pissing contest to see who's better?

no

that wasn't really my intention, I guess

I'm just hoping it doesn't end up like that where the label scraps up every recording known to man...even if it is far less up to the standands he would have wanted

anyway, hope I didn't come off insensitive

he graduated from hampshire college (that's what yahoo told me). cool.

:hug: Basstrap
I thought of you the minute I saw the headline. It's a tragic thing to see no other way out. I would be mad too. Suicide is no answer. :sigh:

wtf?!?
why the hell can't these poor souls remember the line:
"it's just a moment, this time will pass"

more talent going down the fookin drain....

god bless that man's soul.

i hope he has found the peace he was looking for.

dammit.

This is devastating. I am truly reeling from this. His music has always been there for me, and the thought that the person who created it is now gone is too sad to put into words.

I'm sorry for bringing this back up today...but I almost feel worst this morning...I don't know if I will be able to get back to be regular posting for a while

anyway...
here is a tribute song a fan wrote over at sweetaddy.com

http://markmartucci.com/missingelliott.mp3

it is BEAUTIFUL...really...made me weep

memorial photos

1sm.jpg

10sm.jpg

3sm.jpg

Basstrap, thanks for sharing the memorial photos. I had no idea that wall from Figure 8 existed somewhere that people could actually go to. It's late so I will have to wait and dl the song tomorrow.

Hang in there. His death has had an impact on me as well so I have a small idea of what you must be going through right now.

yeah...its at 4334 sunset boulevard in Silverlake
Solutions building

I know of course that right now it's the last thing anyone can think about, but maybe some time in the future those people here who loved and admired him so much could think about..

In his honor, maybe do some volunteer work at a suicide hot line, or something similar. You never know who you could help.

I think some fans are trying to organize some kind of memorial charity. a charity for preventing suicide was mentioned as well as a charity for abused children, which Elliott had a special passion for in his life since he was abused as a child

I find this comforting.

someone met a couple of Elliotts close friends at a memorial in LA...they told her this:

"he also wanted me to let you know that elliott was very happy. always laughing, very upbeat, cracking jokes all of the time. there was no sign, what-so-ever of anything like this happening.

he said, two days before it happened they were sitting on elliott's portch talking about growing a garden. making plans for the records. turns out they were going to release one and then another one instead of a double record and then they were going to continue releaseing two records a year like the beatles did."

I don't think he was distraught and hopelessly depressed leading up to this....something wasn't right that day, obviously :(

Now I understand a bit more about him, I didn't know he was abused as a child.

Sadly, many people who were emotionally or physically abused suffer from depression and have suicidal thoughts, and many end up committing suicide.

So I think that's a wonderful idea, to help abused children in his memory.

i've had some more time to digest all of this, and i have to say i'm so deeply bruised by this loss. someone said it earlier i think, but i haven't felt anything close to this since kurdt took his own life. you can't compare the 2 artists, but they did both have that underlining sadness in their music. god bless you elliott for sharing your music with us while you did. i hope you find the peace you were looking for, wherever you may be. even though i think suicide is a chickenshit way to go. anyway...i think i'll move onto a different thread...i'm bumming myself out.

My boyfriend was really bummed about this; he survived a suicide attempt and still struggles with manic depression, and I think hearing about the death of a musician he really digs got him down some.

It's sad. :( And I don't dig the Jeff Buckley comparisons, but for different reasons--Jeff did not commit suicide.

Why can't people support the man in his actions. Isn't is arrogant for us to even try to conceive what he was feeling day in and day out. Sure, may be he did crack jokes all the time, but so do suicidal comedians. And please don't complain that this is more talent down the drain. We exist for ourselves, not others, and if our existaence is a prison, sometimes death is the only solution. Let us celebrate all the good things this man gave us.

I agree with the last sentence...I don't feel like commenting on the rest

If any of you have the Sundance channel, they are rerunning a short 20 min. documentary on Elliott Smith that originally aired in 2000 called "Lucky Three." I caught it by chance the other night. It was beautiful. It airs again this evening and March 30. Check your local listings. :)

Back
Top Bottom