Elizabethtown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really interested in the film, despite the Orlando Bloom-ness of it :barf:

I think the film looks pretty blah. Early reviews of it have been mixed. Kirsten Dunst must be one of the most unappealing leading ladies I've ever seen (since she has grown up.)

Thumbs up to that, HelloAngel. She's frumpy and too skinny.

I love Cameron Crowe, but it didn't get a great reception at the Toronto Film Festival. I think they went back for reediting or something after that?

Cameron Crowe - good, despite Vanilla Sky

Orlando Bloom - still haven't proven himself as a lead or decent actor as far as I'm concerned, but I'm curious to see how he fares in a genre other than medieval/fantasy.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I must admit I will see anything w/ Orlando Bloom in it.
:yes:

i too, would like to see how he does in a role that doesn't require a costume.

orlando in normal clothes... :drool:

lmjhitman said:

:yes:

i too, would like to see how he does in a role that doesn't require a costume.

orlando in normal clothes... :drool:

I loved the outfits in Troy!!!! Men in skirts=:drool:

It's out next Friday, I will be there. Ashton Kutcher?

NY Daily News

Don't even think of believing rumors out of Hollywood that "Elizabethtown" director Cameron Crowe is unhappy with Orlando Bloom's performance in the romantic comedy, which was widely panned after film festival screenings.

When a Lowdown spy close to the production reported that a "disappointed" Crowe thought Bloom was "flat as a board" in the movie, which opens Oct. 14, Crowe himself called this column twice to do some energetic damage control.

"I absolutely love Orlando's performance - I love everything he did," insisted the director of "Jerry Maguire," "Almost Famous" and "Vanilla Sky."

"I had high hopes for him, and he met my high hopes," Crowe continued. "I think what he has in his eyes and his face is the complete story of the character, in every scene he's in. He is a deeply soulful guy, and the way he portrays a character thinking about suicide is completely riveting to me."

Crowe said that in cutting 18 minutes from the film festival version - which my colleague Jack Mathews saw and rated "a big disappointment" - he has beefed up Bloom's presence.

"What I've done, really, is focus more on his performance," he said. "The movie is Orlando's journey. I'm really proud of the movie, and I love the whole process that brought us to this cut."

The 48-year-old Crowe - who briefly cast, then fired, Ashton Kutcher from the role - stressed that Bloom was his first choice all along.

"It all worked out great. I stand by every bit of the process. I'm completely proud of the movie and I invite anyone to come see it any part of the day."

Will you tell me how it went? I would like to know if it is worth seeing or should I just wait for the DVD:wave:

It would take me to long to say exactly what I thought of it and I'm still not quite sure..

It's no Almost Famous by any stretch, but that's not fair to Cameron Crowe to expect that. It's quirky, sweet, funny, charming, but I thought disjointed and not quite "there". As much as I love Orlando he did a fair job, could have been better. He's visually stunning though, as always :wink: I think it's essentially a reworking of Jerry Maguire, similar plotline, etc.

Like I posted in EYKIW there's a great use of Pride towards the end, in what I thought was the best section of the movie. The music is good as it always is in his movies.

It's a nice night out, it's my kind of movie compared to most of what's out there. I'd give it maybe 2 1/2 or almost 3 stars out of 4

I think Ashton Kutcher would have definitely destroyed this movie :D

I have yet to find anything remotely appealing about this. Kirsten Dunst really grates on me. She just seems like such a snippy, snotty little bobo all the time. :mad:

I agree, the road trip is the best part..if only the entire movie had been like that

By Wesley Morris
Boston Globe
Published: 10/14/2005

Watch out for smart, perceptive filmmakers who make movies about their fathers. ''Big Fish" was Tim Burton on Paxil, vacant and even-tempered. Now, sadly, Cameron Crowe has decided to pay his filial respects. The movie is ''Elizabethtown," and it's his most nakedly square picture yet.

He casts the English actor Orlando Bloom as Drew Baylor, a designer of high-end, mass-market sneakers. After his latest shoe -- the Spasmotica -- bombs, costing his Nike-like company an improbable $972 million, he heads home and tries to impale himself on a kitchen knife. But just in time, his cellphone vibrates with news of another death, his father's. So the son postpones suicide and flies to the film's eponymous Kentucky town (dad had been visiting his birthplace) to bring the body back to his mother (Susan Sarandon) and younger sister (Judy Greer) in Oregon. The trip plunks Drew smack in the middle of an endless, boisterous family he hardly knows.

For a stretch, the movie shows promise. The bloviating narration recedes. The personalities push themselves at Drew, who blankly takes in all the accents and affection and pictures, and the camera noses around the corners of a crowded house. In short, ''Elizabethtown" feels authentically alive.

Drew, on the other hand, remains frustratingly inert. Bloom may be a formidable actor, but in movie after movie, he looks misplaced. Crowe leaves Drew in a funk for so long that by the time the fog lifts we've stopped believing. The character lacks a philosophy. He's also missing a soul.

But Crowe, ever the idealist, has given Drew a savior: the flight attendant he meets on the plane to Louisville (magically, he's the only passenger). She's a relentlessly down-home woman named Claire, played by Kirsten Dunst, who again requires us to bring our sunglasses. Things are grim for a picture when not even she can pick it up, but that's what a saggy state things are in here for Crowe.

Claire helps Drew realize he didn't really know his dad. And in a long sequence, Drew and Claire share an epic conversation on their cellphones, but we never feel the click between these two. Yet for the duration of Drew's brief stay, they speak to each other in whimsical pontifications while the soundtrack shuffles through Crowe's iTunes playlist. Apparently, what they have to say to each other is better expressed by Tom Petty and Elton John.

Those aren't cool artists. Not anymore. Neither is the Lindsey Buckingham acoustic number that plays in one scene, good as it is. But no one will ever mistake a Cameron Crowe movie for a work of cool. This, of course, is Crowe's charm. His movies don't sit at the same table as the Tarantinos, the Wong Kar Wais, or the Gus Van Sants. Crowe's movies possess an unfashionable earnestness. They believe in the essential goodness of you and me. They believe that love can conquer everything.

Crowe's best movies, ''Say Anything . . ." and ''Almost Famous," risked cool for idealism and sentimentality. He can make you embrace corniness, because, better than a lot of American directors, he knows that, at our most besotted, corniness is an apotheosis of love. To wit, Renee Zellweger's ''You had me at hello" in ''Jerry Maguire." Only when mockingly plucked from the film does that line sound like a Hallmark moment. In the context of the movie itself, it was poetry, and it got to your heart. Crowe's other iconic movie moment was also romantic poetry: John Cusack hoisting a boombox up to Ione Skye's window in ''Say Anything . . . ." Romeo spoke Shakespeare to Juliet, but failing that he would have used Peter Gabriel.

The crying shame of ''Elizabethtown" is that nary an ounce of it approaches that sort of emotional transcendence. There is one stirring sequence, a road trip across the country, that caps the film, but, boy, does it come too late. What does Crowe intend for ''Elizabethtown"? In part, this is supposed to be his ''see the world" movie, but it feels hermetic. His ideas about globalism and grief are unformed to the point that his optimism seems uncharacteristically naïve. The movie feels long and strangely derivative of his other, better work. For the first time, he can't focus his romantic abstractions into fresh moments of insight or truth. What, for example, are we to make of the tragically embarrassing memorial service built around Sarandon and her character's personal growth?

Audiences of a certain hipster disposition, in fact, will see ''Elizabethtown" and pine for Zach Braff's ''Garden State," the movie to which ''Elizabethtown" bears an unfortunate and inferior resemblance. Both movies suffer from inert heroes who are awakened by bizarre lovelies. Obviously, this is a Cameron Crowe film, but his writerly instincts feel as if they're jammed up and suffocated. Indeed, too much of the film is set in Drew's hotel. So it's stale with still air, and it takes far too long for Crowe to crack a window.

awww it's been getting pretty harsh reviews. someone said the soundtrack was superb but too bad the movie didnt match up to it. i still kinda want to see it though, despite the garden state comparisons

Have yet to see the movie?

I'm from the Louisville area and my dad used to work in Elizabethtown.

It's only a 30 minute drive from me and I know several people who live there.

I will see it because most of it was shot in Kentucky. I remember when they were doing casting calls.

I miss Kentucky!!!

skjuls said:

How is that possible?

E'town is approx 30 miles south of Louisville and Louisville is the biggest city In Kentucky!

I lived south of E'town, and was therefore about an hour and a quarter/hour and a half from Louisville.

Last edited:
meegannie said:

I lived south of E'town, and was therefore about an hour and a quarter/hour and a half from Louisville.

Where exactly did you live?

E'town isn't really a city! LOL!!!

I saw the movie and was confused about which airport he landed at to go to Louisville because he didn't land at the Louisville International Airport (aka Standiford Field SDF).

And I dont' know how he got lost because the roads are not that bad!

And they played U2!!

This just came out in Australia and has gotten some very good reviews - but mainly very middle of the road reviews.

I enjoyed it - but thought a lot of the romance was just stupid - I mean Kirsten Dunst charater is a flight attendant who never seems to work as she is always returning to Kentucky to be with Drew - and Susan Sarandon was underused as well - nice tapdance scene.

I also agree the road trip bit was excellent - as well as 'Freebird' - I was rolling in the ailse - so cool - and the aftermath was priceless.

All in all it was much better than I expected - but my expectations were quite low.

I'll buy it when its out on DVD.

And Ruckus rules!

Back
Top Bottom