Electronica/Trance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Val

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I love rock and roll, and haven't a clue to what electronica/trance is. I asked my daughter what kind of music she's into, and she answered that and Hip hop.
I'd like to get her some music for xmas, but haven't a clue as to what musicians are good in those two categories.
Any advice?

:hmm: I listen to a variety of fare in Electronica/Trance from cheesy early 90s eurodance to stuff like Daft Punk, Prodigy, Robert Miles, Fatboy Slim, Massive Attack etc. Not so much into Hip Hop.

But honestly, these genres are so wide that you're gonna get a whole range of different recommendations from people here. Your daughter may or may not be into these artists. Maybe it's better to ask her friends or do some spy work on her music collection. :wink:

I don't know if it's so much musicians but rather DJs/producers in that genre (electronica/trance). A couple of names worth looking into are Nick Warren and Deep Dish. Also John Digweed.

Last edited:
Christ, Electronica is a very large spectrum of sounds and artists. Trance is fairly specific.

Right now I'm listening to a lot of Squarepusher, which is kind of drum and bass but kind of experimental. It's a nice change of pace. Also really loving Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient Works 85-92". It's ambient dance music, I gues, but it's bliss.

Anyway it's all very confusing, but here's a great introduction from AllMusic
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=73:11605

Last edited:
I like this kind of music.. but I can never figure out if its trance, rave, house, electric, etc etc. I just lump it all in 'house' music catagory.

I like stuff like

Chemical Brothers
Paul Oakenfold
Lasgo
Daft Punk
Armand Van Helden
ATB
Crystal Method

People always ask me how can I listen to this type of 'annoying' music.

They just dont get it :slant:

According to wikipedia:
Trance is a style of electronic dance music that developed in the 1990s. Trance music is generally characterized by a tempo of between 124 and 148 bpm, featuring repeating melodic synthesizer phrases, and a musical form that builds up and down throughout a track, often crescendoing or featuring a breakdown. Sometimes vocals are also utilized. The style is arguably derived from a combination of largely techno and house. 'Trance' received its name from the repetitious morphing beats, and the throbbing melodies which would presumably put the listener into a trance-like state. As this music is almost always played in nightclubs at popular vacation spots and in inner cities, trance can be understood as a form of club music.

Personally I'm in love with Conjure One. Especially when Poe is on vocals. :heart:

I guess I dont so much like the 'trance' as much then. That would be the faster, more repetitve beat music often played at raves. I like the more traditional house music, of course they have the beats too but with melodies, lyrics etc.

* I forgot Paul Van Dyk.. like that too.

A lot of stuff IS indeed DJ's.. not so much actual 'groups' or 'bands'.

If it makes you want to zone out = Trance
If it makes you want to move = House

:lol: obviously I'm generalizing here so no one get into a tissy fit with me. Incidently I love doing house work while listening to house music. :shifty:

Val said:
I love rock and roll, and haven't a clue to what electronica/trance is. I asked my daughter what kind of music she's into, and she answered that and Hip hop.
I'd like to get her some music for xmas, but haven't a clue as to what musicians are good in those two categories.
Any advice?

I'd get her a gift card and let her pick out her own stuff. I've never had anyone get it right when trying to buy me actual music, but a gift card...YES!! :)

stay away from Trance!!! it's maybe nice when you hear some hit for the first time, but in electro music it's equivalent to bubblegum pop in comerical world... I despise Trance...or most of it...

if you would like to go for classic than buy her Kruder And Dorfmaister - K&D Sessions. It's chill, it's laid back, and it's extaordinary...

and if you would like to get something more dinamic than go for House or even beter for Progressive House - for instance Balance series (espacially Balance 005, 006 & 008), or anything from Anthony Pappa, Sasha (except Fundacion CD), James Holden, Dave Seaman etc...
You can also try Y4K or Fabric/Fabriclive cd's. Try Y4K from Trouble Soup, Dub Pistols, Soul Of Man.... or FAbric from Diplo, Swayzak, Stanton Warriors etc...

or GIFT CARD :)

good luck

I don't know where under the "Electronica" umbrella they fit in, but I'm currently loving The Knife's "Silent Shout" cd. Saw them at the El Rey in Los Angeles, frickin' great show (though a bit short at exactly 1 hour).

Of course, there is my all time personal fav, Underworld. "Beacoup Fish" is the album to get from them with the songs "Kittens", "Moaner" and "Cups" :drool: :drool: :drool:

some IDM stuff is quite danceable too.

stuff like we have explosive by future sound of london, and disko +bett by duo 505 come to mind.

but this is a genre that i've neglected in the last two years. i'm getting old.

I'm a huge fan of trance, in addition to many of the other genres that fall under the electronic umbrella.

Just as a caveat, a lot of the artists listed in this thread are nowhere close to trance. And as much as I love the Kruder & Dorfmeister double-album someone recommended, I wouldn't buy that for a trance fan.

I'd recommend sticking to some of the top-ranked DJs in the world. You can never go wrong with anything original or mixed by Tiesto or Armin Van Buuren. Another excellent double CD I've picked up recently is "Night Music Vol. 1" by The Thrillseekers. M.I.K.E. is another excellent trance DJ, and anything with his name on it is going to be top notch. :up: Good luck!

The AllMusic Guide is a great start most definitely!!

Since I haven't enough posts to provide any links (I promise I am not a spam bot and there is nothing naughty about my links), I will do my best anyway. My apologies to the mods for stepping on any toes but I would really like to share these:

(www).di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

The above can be a bit overwhelming and the annoying flash intro can be migraine inducing, but overall this is quite a comprehensive breakdown that flows like a electronic music science project. Be sure and have a lot of time on your hands and by all means, turn the sound on your computer. The best example is through sound and there are plenty of samples to sift through and get a better grasp of what's out there.

The next link is great as well:

(www).liveplasma.com

Just type in a band (for example, any of the bands recommended here in this thread or even U2 just for shits and giggles) and you'll come up with a whole plethora of like music. This one can read more like a DNA experiment gone awry but it's great fun to pass the time.

I could make a list a mile long (starting with the Chemical Brothers :drool: ) but in situations like gift giving it can be so hit and miss because we as music lovers can be so finnicky. One can never go wrong with a gift card or taking Zootelsesque's investigative footwork advice. Good luck! :)

FitzChivalry said:
I don't know where under the "Electronica" umbrella they fit in, but I'm currently loving The Knife's "Silent Shout" cd. Saw them at the El Rey in Los Angeles, frickin' great show (though a bit short at exactly 1 hour).

Of course, there is my all time personal fav, Underworld. "Beacoup Fish" is the album to get from them with the songs "Kittens", "Moaner" and "Cups" :drool: :drool: :drool:

How did I forget to name them.... they are probably my favorite electro band!!! (not trance)

buy "Everything, Everything" form Underworld and than you will hear how good an electronic live show can be..

HeartlandGirl said:
I'm a huge fan of trance, in addition to many of the other genres that fall under the electronic umbrella.

Just as a caveat, a lot of the artists listed in this thread are nowhere close to trance. And as much as I love the Kruder & Dorfmeister double-album someone recommended, I wouldn't buy that for a trance fan.

I'd recommend sticking to some of the top-ranked DJs in the world. You can never go wrong with anything original or mixed by Tiesto or Armin Van Buuren. Another excellent double CD I've picked up recently is "Night Music Vol. 1" by The Thrillseekers. M.I.K.E. is another excellent trance DJ, and anything with his name on it is going to be top notch. :up: Good luck!

I named Kruder and Dorfmaister, but not as trance music - I said that he should run away from trance and evolve to something better...house, progressive house, electroclash etc..
just not trance...of course, that's just my personal taste :)

I have friends into PsyTrance, and well, it's intense in a religious sort of way.

But I've had some great times at trance parties, if I'm in the 'right' frame of mind, if you know what I mean.

To the original poster, though, the gift card option is unbeatable.

What would Robert Miles- Dreamlands album come under?

Back
Top Bottom