Electric Light Orchestra, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintagePunk

Blue Crack Distributor
For the past 6 months or year, I find I've been listening to a lot of older music, because, with very few exceptions, new music is boring the crap out of me.

Recently, I picked up an ELO greatest hits package, All Over The World: The Very Best of ELO, and I've been digging it big time. They had an amazing string of hits early/mid 70's till 1980-ish. I was just reading on Wikipedia that they hold the record for having the most songs chart of Billboard without ever having a song reach #1.

Some of the songs on this package include: Mr. Blue Sky (I defy you to listen to that one and not automatically be in a good mood. Go on, I dare you), Evil Woman, Don't Bring Me Down, Sweet Talking Woman, Shine a Little Love, Telephone Line, Livin' Thing, Strange Magic and Can't Get It Out of My Head.

The one song they left off of this CD is Do Ya, one of my favourites by them. I can't believe they neglected to include this.

Excellent pop-rock fun. :up:

Last edited:
phanan said:
It's no secret that ELO is one of my favorite artists. Their best albums are Out Of The Blue, A New World Record, and Face The Music, but all of them have portions that are good.

Curious, what do you think of their post-70's output? I've never really found anything outside of their 70's material that grabs me, although I have to admit, I don't know much of it. Recommendations?

No spoken words said:
I LOVE Livin' Thing!

Me too! Evil Woman is great, too.

And we should just forgive them for doing music for the movie Xanadu. I mean, really.

corianderstem said:

Me too! Evil Woman is great, too.

And we should just forgive them for doing music for the movie Xanadu. I mean, really.

I don't drink or do drugs, so, watching Xanadu at like 3:30am after not sleeping for 2-3 days is a pretty interesting experience for me.

My favorite was always Eldorado. But it may be a bit too 'early 70's prog style' if the more pop moments are what appeals to you. But it does include the proper intro for Can't Get It Out of My Head and some other fine songs. :)

VintagePunk said:

Curious, what do you think of their post-70's output? I've never really found anything outside of their 70's material that grabs me, although I have to admit, I don't know much of it. Recommendations?

I'm probably in the minority when I say I really enjoy the three albums from the 80's (Time, Secret Messages, Balance Of Power). From those three, my personally favorite is Secret Messages, but Time has some very strong parts as well. Balance is a bit uneven.

As for their contribution to Xanadu, take away the title song, and their other tracks are actually decent. All Over The World, which they titled that compilation after, is one of those songs.

hardyharhar said:
My favorite was always Eldorado. But it may be a bit too 'early 70's prog style' if the more pop moments are what appeals to you. But it does include the proper intro for Can't Get It Out of My Head and some other fine songs. :)

I like Eldorado as well, but there are a couple of songs I could do without. The bookends of the album are absolutely spectacular though.

No spoken words said:

I don't drink or do drugs, so, watching Xanadu at like 3:30am after not sleeping for 2-3 days is a pretty interesting experience for me.

I just thought of something that would blow your mind :ohmy:

At two in the morning, my freshman year in college, there was a guy down the hall who would take massive hits off his beer bong, then do a blitzed out reenactment of his favorite college football games of all-time (he'd throw hail mary passes, dive for invisible footballs), simultaneously doing the color commentary while E.L.O.'s Fire On High was blasting on his turntable. And he would always have an equally red eyed audience there watching him....very comfortable passing the beer bong, sitting on milk crates and eating from a tin of Mrs. Fields' cookies.

College.:)

:rockon:

Westport said:
At two in the morning, my freshman year in college, there was a guy down the hall who would take massive hits off his beer bong, then do a blitzed out reenactment of his favorite college football games of all-time (he'd throw hail mary passes, dive for invisible footballs), simultaneously doing the color commentary while E.L.O.'s Fire On High was blasting on his turntable. And he would always have an equally red eyed audience there watching him....very comfortable passing the beer bong, sitting on milk crates and eating from a tin of Mrs. Fields' cookies.

College.:)

:rockon:

This story makes me think you added the word "beer" just to be safe. :wink:

I've been getting into them recently, too.

Mr. Blue Sky cracked the Desert Island IV list, it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Back
Top Bottom