Elbow/Doves US tour!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
Elbow and Doves are apparently doing a double headlining tour of the US beginning in June! YAY!!! I am way beyond excited.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

OMC!! June!!! That's AFTER I turn 18!! Meaning I can GO!!! *does celebratory dance* Thanks for letting us know!

Here are the dates so far:

6/3 graceland seattle
6/5 gamh sf
6/6 mayan la
6/10 bluebird denver
6/12 fineline mpls
6/13 vic chicago
6/16 tla philly
6/17 axis boston
6/19 9:30 dc
-
toronto and new york should be confirmed soon.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

I must say Im suprised sula hasnt gone nuts and posted in here yet, I swear, if I get told to check out Elbow one more time
wink.gif
wink.gif

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
I must say Im suprised sula hasnt gone nuts and posted in here yet, I swear, if I get told to check out Elbow one more time
wink.gif
wink.gif

I'll tell you. Check out Elbow.
smile.gif
Seriously. There's a great song called "About Time" at http://www.powderblue.fsnet.co.uk/frameset.htm .

(Just be thankful I'm not going all PLEBA and posting pictures of Guy Garvey
wink.gif
)

[This message has been edited by meegannie (edited 04-23-2002).]

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
wink.gif
wink.gif

lmao! at the pleba planning meeting:

sula: what should we isten to?

lilly: uhm how about the popmart sarajevo boot?

sula: how about elbow?

lilly: well, see i've never heard this...and i sorta wanted to...and..

sula: elbow it is.

heh.

------------------
Come on wisdom tooth, don't fail me now!

That's just cuz sula hasn't been online much in the last few days.
biggrin.gif

*goes crazy*

Well, I am definitely going to that show...and dragging anyone I can along with me. woohoo!

wow, I had never heard doves before, so I downloaded their 2 albums and they sound great, wtf is wrong with the United States???? we are force-fed all these rap/metal sound-alikes and great bands like this never come to light... I only found out about Elbow a month or two ago (let's see, I discovered Starsailor, Elbow, Electric Soft Parade, Clinic, Doves, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Abandoned Pools, Badly Drawn Boy, Remy Zero, Zygotic Mynici, The Strokes and The Hives all this year)

*sighs out of frustration over state of music in the USA

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I discovered Starsailor, Elbow, Electric Soft Parade, Clinic, Doves, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Abandoned Pools, Badly Drawn Boy, Remy Zero, Zygotic Mynici, The Strokes and The Hives all this year)

There's some very excellent bands on that list.

------------------
Change is the only constant

wow, I had never heard doves before, so I downloaded their 2 albums and they sound great, wtf is wrong with the United States???? we are force-fed all these rap/metal sound-alikes and great bands like this never come to light... I only found out about Elbow a month or two ago (let's see, I discovered Starsailor, Elbow, Electric Soft Parade, Clinic, Doves, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Abandoned Pools, Badly Drawn Boy, Remy Zero, Zygotic Mynici, The Strokes and The Hives all this year)

*sighs out of frustration over state of music in the USA

Good choices, though.
biggrin.gif
I think it's kind of fun sometimes to love bands that most Americans don't know. I'd much rather be living in the UK now, but there's something nice about being able to see my favourite bands in a small venue (and for fairly cheap)and being able to meet/hang out with them after the show. The only real problem is finding the cds I want without having to pay a ton of money for shipping overseas. Even once they're released in the US, they're hard to find sometimes.

for most of these bands I've never seen their cd in a record store

I've seen them mostly at used/specialty stores. I found Doves' first album a couple of weeks ago for $1! I already had it, but I had to buy to give to someone because I couldn't resist a deal like that. But you're right, it's hard to find most of them. I can't find ESP anywhere.

Have you heard South? You'd probably like them, going by some of the other bands you mentioned. I love the bass lines in their songs.

Okay, nevermind. I figured out how to get tickets. But there's a $9 service ("convenience") charge! Grrrr.... I'm afraid to wait and buy them at the box office because I'm afraid it will sell out.

Originally posted by DiGi:
i will be there for PY, can pick them up and mail them to you if you like. let me know.

Thanks, but I just sucked it up and bought them.
frown.gif
I'm going to wait and see if there are still Philly tickets left after the pre-sale (usually pre-sales just have a limited number of tickets, right?). I'm buying tickets to see Ed Harcourt in Philly on May 18th (the day after Doves tickets go on public sale), so I guess I'll wait and see how much money I have after that weekend before I buy the Doves tickets for Philly.

Are you going to the Doves show?

not sure if you know or not but the doves just announced a show at 9:30 club in june

Yeah, I've been trying to get tickets for that show for the past few days, but for some reason, they aren't up on tickets.com. I'm definitely going, though. Probably to Philly too.

------------------
"Look for oceans walls/ to gaze upon/ these distance stars/ yeah, these distance suns/ are all the reasons/ are all the reasons/ the only season in my life" -- Neil Halstead

don't have any reason not too.

Yay! You won't be disappointed. We should meet up at the show. I'll be leaving after work, so I don't know what time I'll be getting there, but I'm going to try to get there as early as possible so I can get a good spot and swoon over Guy Garvey.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Look for oceans walls/ to gaze upon/ these distance stars/ yeah, these distance suns/ are all the reasons/ are all the reasons/ the only season in my life" -- Neil Halstead

Originally posted by meegannie:
but there's something nice about being able to see my favourite bands in a small venue (and for fairly cheap)and being able to meet/hang out with them after the show. The only real problem is finding the cds I want without having to pay a ton of money for shipping overseas. Even once they're released in the US, they're hard to find sometimes.

True. See them in small venues while you can and they're not too big a band yet. Well, nothing really stopped as all from seeing and getting tickets for big bands like U2, but that's a different issue.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, a cheaper option for cds would be to get them from ebay (if they're auctioned cheaply, ofcourse). Another thing is to buy them from secondhand cd stores if you're not that picky about getting used ones. That's where I usually buy my cds now. OTOH, I saw Elbow's cd at Olsson's bookstore selling for about $13. Not bad.

I caught Elbow with Pete Yorn here in Chicago a couple weeks ago. I liked Elbow but unfortunately only saw the last few songs of their performance.

I am eager with anticipation for the new Doves album. Lost Souls in my mind was the best album of 2000 (apologies to PJ Harvey's Stories... and U2's ATYCLB) and they were great at the Metro here in Chicago last April. I have yet to hear the new Doves single but I'm told it's great.

Cannot wait for 6/13...this is a great tour billing and makes sense for both bands to tour together (like audience).

Originally posted by Hawkfire:

I am eager with anticipation for the new Doves album. Lost Souls in my mind was the best album of 2000 (apologies to PJ Harvey's Stories... and U2's ATYCLB) and they were great at the Metro here in Chicago last April. I have yet to hear the new Doves single but I'm told it's great.

I think I like the new album even better than Lost Souls, which I didn't think would be possible. It's a lot happier, but not in a cheesy way. There are some tracks up on the Doves site . "Words" is my favourite.

I've heard that the US version may be like the US version of Lost Souls in that it'll include at least four bonus tracks, so I'm really excited about its release.

------------------
"There's a danger in every story and every smile" - South

[This message has been edited by meegannie (edited 05-03-2002).]

Originally posted by meegannie:

I've heard that the US version may be like the US version of Lost Souls in that it'll include at least four bonus tracks, so I'm really excited about its release.

If you look at amazon uk and amazon us that looks to be the case.

Back
Top Bottom