elbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So I went to see Pete Yorn down at First Ave. last night and the opening band was REALLY good. They're called Elbow, they're from Manchester, and they definitely have a bit of a Radiohead vibe...not so much in a "this is the NEXT Radiohead" sort of way, but more in the way they approach music. That makes no sense.
tongue.gif
In any case, anyone here heard their album "Asleep in the Back" ?

yeah it's a great album, I started a thread about them in Lemonade Stand not long ago, they don't sound like radiohead, though their singer sounds a little bit like Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, they sound like many of the other current British rock bands of today but with a more eclectic style and atmosphere

I love them. But I think I've made that abundantly clear.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Well I picked up "Asleep in the Back" last night and have been listening to it today. Solid. I like it a LOT. Would definitely recommend.
smile.gif

i just bought that album about an hour ago. haven't listened to it yet. am anxious to hear. thanks for the recommendation.

You guys just read my mind! I was about to post a thread asking if this is a good album. My friend just sent me some lyrics (for 'Powder Blue' and 'Newborn'). Talk about intensily beatiful. Who ever writes the lyrics is a GREAT *writer* -- his style evokes something scattered, yet somehow contained.

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
You guys just read my mind! I was about to post a thread asking if this is a good album. My friend just sent me some lyrics (for 'Powder Blue' and 'Newborn'). Talk about intensily beatiful. Who ever writes the lyrics is a GREAT *writer* -- his style evokes something scattered, yet somehow contained.

Get the album. Every song on it is great. And the US release has the bonus track, "Asleep in the Back," which is just breath-taking. The lead singer, Guy Garvey, writes the lyrics. I agree, he's incredible. Most of his songs are written from personal experiences.

My PLEBA moment:
ast5.jpg

I love that picture.

Michael, if you think the lyrics are good wait till you HEAR those songs. They are achingly heart-rendingly beautiful, imho. Do get the album...I don't think you will regret it.
smile.gif

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll add it to the list.

So Bethany, you have certainly got into some pretty deep music lately, by the sounds of it. Are there some other albums you might recommend that you've recently discovered?

------------------
The Tempest

it's one of the premier albums of the last year or so, and if your cd doesn't have "Asleep in the Back" on it, you must d/l it, it's a gorgeous song as someone here has mentioned

check out "Scattered Black and White" the last song on the cd, its ending is very reminiscent of the intro to "Where the Streets Have No Name"

Screaming Flower, good to hear that you're enjoying the disc.
smile.gif
I know I sure am.

Michael...well I dunno about deep, but I have been branching out a wee bit more lately. hehe. I was exposed to some good artists by friends I met in Switzerland for one. I'd also recommend you look into Damien Jurado. I have his album called "Ghost of David" and it's quite interesting. Very 'unplugged' and folk-like. He's quite a good song-writer. check him out if you get a chance.
smile.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:

I'd also recommend you look into Damien Jurado.

Have you heard Neil Halstead? On his album, he does a song to the tune of "Ohio" by Damien Jurado, and he sang "Ohio" when he played in DC last Friday.

------------------
"Look for oceans walls/ to gaze upon/ these distance stars/ yeah, these distance suns/ are all the reasons/ are all the reasons/ the only season in my life" -- Neil Halstead
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
...and if your cd doesn't have "Asleep in the Back" on it, you must d/l it, it's a gorgeous song as someone here has mentioned

check out "Scattered Black and White" the last song on the cd, its ending is very reminiscent of the intro to "Where the Streets Have No Name"

i'm lucky my version has asleep in the back. i listened to scattered black and white and you're right about streets-sounding ending. i wouldn't have noticed that. very cool. it's a beautiful way to end an album. i can't stop listening to it.

the music recommendations are one of the things i love most about this place. speaking of, wanderer, i asked this in your lemonade stand clinic thread earlier - which of their two cd's would you recommend since you've listened to them both now for a while? thanks.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Screaming Flower (edited 04-30-2002).]

Ok I was given a promo copy of this CD at least 6 or 8 mos ago by a record exec friend of mine, honestly I gave it all of one listen, with alot of skipping thru tracks, which isnt really fair I suppose...he also gave me Stereophonics which at the time was a little more upbeat and catchy so I played it more but now Im bored of it, kinda..

dont flame me but I think its somewhere in the bottom of the mess of cds and tapes in my Jeep...but with all these glowing reviews, I think I'd better dig it out and listen...

Gabriel! Find it and listen to it! Especially "Asleep In the Back" (if it's on your copy) and "Newborn." By the way, here's a clip about the album from an article that I loved:

"'It's more comforting than anything," says Pete. "It's like being wrapped in a blanket. For me that's really good. One of my favourite albums is 'Ladies And Gentlemen...' by Spiritualized, and if our album has anything like the effect on people as that album had on me then that's the best thing anyone can say about it"

'You know how they say that once you've written a song it's not yours anymore?" Guy adds. "Well, when we were at Leeds the other week some guy came up to me and he said Newborn was a really,really important song to him in his life, and I went, 'Oh really, why?' and he said his six-week-old kid died at the same time as we released that record and he said, 'To be honest, me and my wife clung to that song like a raft.' That was just fuckin' overwhelming. That's what I've always wanted to achieve, to write that piece of music that you can releate to in your dark time.'"

Also, what Stereophonics cd was it? I like JEEP ("Rooftop" is fantastic), but like their older stuff better.

------------------
A song is a beautiful lie

OK already I'm convinced!
wink.gif

I think the CD itself is entitled Asleep In The Back so I'd imagine this song is on it??

The Stereophonics CD is the most recnent, I think, Have A Nice Day is on it...

OK, gonna listen to it this weekend when I go camping...in my Jeep...
wink.gif

Gabriel

Originally posted by gabrielvox:

I think the CD itself is entitled Asleep In The Back so I'd imagine this song is on it??

The Stereophonics CD is the most recnent, I think, Have A Nice Day is on it...

The track "Asleep In the Back" is only on the North American version of the album. They just called the album that as well because they liked the name.
smile.gif

You should listen to Stereophonics first CD, Word Gets Around, if you like some of their rockier stuff. "A Thousand Trees" (one of the songs they played when they opened for U2) is a great song.

Anyway, I'm so glad you're listening to Elbow!!
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom