Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. The Birds
2. The Bones of You
3. Powder Blue
4. I don't know
5. Too hard to pick other top songs
6. Don't make me choose.

My Rushmore:

The Bones of You

Grounds for Divorce

The Birds

New York Morning

Honorable Mentions:

Great Expectations, Station Approach, Roll Call, Little Fictions, The Take Off and Landing of Everything

It's kind of cool to see the variety in top songs here. I think Scattered Black and Whites is usually my number one, but Great Expectations sometimes beats it out. And sometimes Grounds for Divorce (esp the BBC live album). And sometimes Mirrorball. Or...

So much love for The Bones of You. Good song but not that special imo. Grounds for Divorce is much better.

Newborn would be in my top 5 for that ending alone. Weather To Fly and The Birds as well. Not sure what else

I of course love Grounds for Divorce, but compared to their other stuff, there's nothing really special about it. It's a pretty standard rock track for them.

One Day Like This is my favorite by a mile. Would have forgotten the band ever existed if not for that song.

Elbow is on Fallon tonight.

Anyone seeing them on their US leg? Seattle is next Friday, and then I'm taking the train down to Portland for the Saturday show. Wheeeeeee!

I need to give the latest album a few listens; I like it a lot but haven't spent a lot of time with it. :reject:

Elbow is on Fallon tonight.

Anyone seeing them on their US leg? Seattle is next Friday, and then I'm taking the train down to Portland for the Saturday show. Wheeeeeee!

I need to give the latest album a few listens; I like it a lot but haven't spent a lot of time with it. :reject:

As a matter of fact, I am seeing their show tonight! Looking forward to it even though I hate the venue this show got moved to. I have been a bad fan though as I haven't heard the latest album yet!

I see them next Wednesday in Chicago. It’ll be my first Elbow show, and I’m just a little excited. Today marked the beginning of Elbow-heavy music listening mode. :)

I see them next Wednesday in Chicago. It’ll be my first Elbow show, and I’m just a little excited. Today marked the beginning of Elbow-heavy music listening mode. :)

:up:

Enjoy it! Ya lucky sod. NZ is so fucking FARRRRRRRRR from everywhere/thing/one.

And fwiw, Lunette is, I think, the most perfect lyric ever written.
Though Scattered Black and Whites is close.

IMG_2191.JPG

Have no idea if the mobile app shares pics well or not, but doors just opened for the show, and I walked up to second row from the front.

Sweet.

That was fucking amazing. Guy Garvey is charming AF. He even got the audience to sing like Bono, and was just super engaging and funny the whole show.

The opening trio was absolutely perfect.

Any Day Now
The Bones of You
Fly Boy Blue/Lunette

I’m still on a post concert high. If there’s one word I would use to sum it up, it would be joyful. Guy and the band seemed genuinely enthused to be there, commenting throughout about how wonderful it is to spend an evening together singing and sharing music. His little quips between songs about singing along even if you don’t know the words were (“its not compulsory, but let loose a little. why else are we here?”) were totally endearing. By the end of the show, it was basically one massive joyful sing-along (though I was singing the entire time, of course).

I saw the opening song mentioned on Twitter and I was all :drool:

Super excited. SUPER. I normally get anxious before shows these days and that tends to kill some of my excitement leading up to it, especially when travel is involved, but GOD DAMN IT I AM EXCITED.

Elbow have a Best Of in the pipeline. Not an arrangement of tracks that I'm fully on board with, but still makes for a stellar snapshot of what they are all about.

Store - Elbow

This may be asking a lot, but could you make a Best Of list? Trying to get started on some Elbow...or should I just start with their first album?

I don't know how consistent their albums are yet.

Last edited:
I’m still on a post concert high. If there’s one word I would use to sum it up, it would be joyful. Guy and the band seemed genuinely enthused to be there, commenting throughout about how wonderful it is to spend an evening together singing and sharing music. His little quips between songs about singing along even if you don’t know the words were (“its not compulsory, but let loose a little. why else are we here?”) were totally endearing. By the end of the show, it was basically one massive joyful sing-along (though I was singing the entire time, of course).

:applaud:

This may be asking a lot, but could you make a Best Of list? Trying to get started on some Elbow...or should I just start with their first album?

I don't know how consistent their albums are yet.
I'd suggest starting from the beginning. The only real departure from their norm is the most recent album.
While the first two albums might not be as comsistently accessible as 3 and 4, they introduce one of the greatest lyrisists of our time and some great songs.
You won't regret it.

The only one that doesn't excite me is Cast of Thousands, and it's not bad by any stretch. It's got a few gems.

Listening in order isn't a bad way to go.

That was fucking amazing. Guy Garvey is charming AF. He even got the audience to sing like Bono, and was just super engaging and funny the whole show.

The opening trio was absolutely perfect.

Any Day Now
The Bones of You
Fly Boy Blue/Lunette

Nice! When I saw them in NYC, they opened with New York Morning for us. It was awesome. I'm pretty sure they played something from every one of their studio albums at that show. Plus, their sound was immense on the heavier tracks. Plus, the main set ended really spectacularly, with a few of their long epics.

The Birds
Little Fictions
Kindling
One Day Like This

I missed Elbow last time around and haven't seen them in six years. Really glad I got a chance to go to this concert. Diemen is right, joyful is the best way to describe their set.

I was a big fan of the set list. Could’ve used another song from Leaders, but any set list that includes

Any Day Now
Bones of You
Fly Boy Blue/Lunette
Mirrorball
Station Approach
The Birds
My Sad Captains
One Day Like This
Lippy Kids
Grounds for Divorce

Is gonna make me a happy concertgoer.

Status