Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Bitter Disappointment" may be a tad over the top if you ask me, it was certianly not in the same league as TSSK or LOTFW but I will say all the songs I heard live sounded much better. I also think The Birds may now be my favourite Elbow song overall, so there's that...

Nice! Compensate for the bitter disappointment that was Build a Rocket Boys.

I'm sorta worried it would add to it, honestly. The few of these b-sides I'm already familiar with aren't exactly songs I go out of my way to listen to.

Yeah, there are a couple of completely unremarkable songs on Build a Rocket Boys, but the good songs are really good. And a few are very good.

The Birds
Open Arms
Neat Little Rows

Those are the great ones for me.

I hope they have a new album and a tour in ... say, 2014. And then I hope they still don't come to the US (or at least my part of it), because I'm going to Ireland next year again and couldn't make Belfast fit into my itinerary, and I'd like to spend more time in Dublin. SO. I figured, why not plan another trip over there to see some band in Dublin? Some band who never comes here and I'd never get to see otherwise? Like, say, Elbow!

So yeah, I'm hoping that all pans out. So I can a) see Elbow; and b) have another excuse to go back to Ireland. :wink:

/crazy fan logic

I haven't heard Cast of Thousands, so I can't say conclusively that Build A Rocket Boys is Elbow's worst album, but it probably is.

I haven't heard Cast of Thousands, so I can't say conclusively that Build A Rocket Boys is Elbow's worst album, but it probably is.

I usually rank Cast of Thousands way below their others, but I listened to it the other day and it was better than I had remembered. So yay, that's nice.

Aww, all this Build A Rocket Boys disdain - I think it was a good album, it just had the unfortunate station of coming after the epic greatness of Seldom Seen Kid.

Aww, all this Build A Rocket Boys disdain - I think it was a good album, it just had the unfortunate station of coming after the epic greatness of Seldom Seen Kid.

I would say it is an ok album. I don't dislike it as much as some, but even aside from falling in the shadow of the great TSSK, I still think it's a sub-par album for them. There is stuff I like a lot on it though.

Has anyone else heard the b-sides release? It's okay. Nothing earth-shattering. Didn't really catch me on one listen. Will have to spend more time with it.

Am watching today's iTunes Festival performance. It's bliss. I don't think I've ever seen one of their full concerts - I've seen the BBC Seldom Seen Kid DVD a zillion times, and a few YouTube clips, stuff like that.

But this is great. Next time they tour, I'm traveling to see them. If they come to the US, I'm sure they'll skip Seattle, so I'll go where I have to go. If they don't come to the States, I will gladly pop over to Dublin.

I MUST SEE THEM.

Dang, forgot that was going to be on. I was too busy watching the footballz.

Has anyone else heard the b-sides release? It's okay. Nothing earth-shattering. Didn't really catch me on one listen. Will have to spend more time with it.

I listened to it on Spotify earlier this week. And my initial reaction was about the same. It is OK, but there are no highlights like One Day Like This, The Birds, Station Approach, etc. on it. But that's probably why the songs on it were initially released as B-sides. Nevertheless, as a whole it struck me as a pretty good album. Elbow B-sides are still quite nice.

I fire up the new Call of Duty, and Elbow's The Night Will Always Win is the song playing through the opening video. Nothing says "dudebro" like Elbow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom