Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally saw Elbow headline, and what a show it was. I attended the first of two Melbourne sideshows (they're here for Splendour), and it was a great night.

The setlist, expectedly, featured no songs from their first two albums, but that didn't really irk me, being more familiar with their latter three albums.

Guy Garvey is quite the frontman, so engaging. I love how he singles out members of the crowd to sing to, and engages in conversation with people who might yell at a song request, or something. He's bloody hilarious as well. At one stage he managed to get the crowd to sing "I had a good cheese toastie this morning", with the emphasis on "cheese".. And he just banters so eloquently between songs as well.

I was super satisfied with the setlist, although I would have really enjoyed Some Riot, Newborn or Friend of Ours.

Open Arms is an absolute monster live, arguably more so than One Day Like This. The River was a gorgeous with just piano and vocals. Lippy Kids isn't the greatest of songs, but the call and response whistling works a treat. Neat Little Rows has a thumping extended opening before the vocals kick in, which was novel.

My fave track from Leaders of the Free World, Great Expectations, was a surprise and was appropriately dedicated to a couple in the crowd, in which the girl seemed truly overwhelmed that Garvey had dedicated that particular song to her. She knew all the words, and it was quite a touching moment.

Here's the set, a tad short at only 14 songs, but it was worth every cent. A brilliant live act:

The Birds
Bones Of You
Mirrorball
Neat Little Rows
Grounds For Divorce
Tower Crane Driver
The River
Great Expectations
Lippy Kids
Weather To Fly
Open Arms

Starlings
Station Approach
One Day Like This

Palace Theatre, my fav venue. The "Mirrorball" came in handy, even though they brought along one of their own, so there were two.

Reckon National will play a sideshow when they reach Melbourne, Cobbs?

Ah cool. I saw Ice Cube there and I'm seeing Big Boi there in Sept. Can't wait.

The official line from the festival themselves is no sideshows in Melb, Bris or Syd. Get down to Werribee. We have the shit farm and ...

I may just do that, head out to the Wild West.. I'll try and get me into some Bright Eyes and Walkmen like I've always been intending to.

Guy Garvey was on triple j the other day, talking about the Stone Roses, and how they were hiding in their home town, and everyone wanted to know where they were, and only the locals knew.

I'm working on a feature article about Elbow actually. It's a piece on live songs bands haven't played in a while that I'd like to hear again.

Any suggestions from fellow Elbow fans? I've got Ribcage, Fugitive Motel, Forget Myself, and LEaders of the Free World so far. What are your picks?

I don't know if they've been playing it, I would LOVE for them to play it when I see them in a month and I would kill (something, perhaps only an insect) for them to play 'Weather To Fly'. That is my favorite song by them. :heart:

(It's also #7 on my iTunes Top 25 Most Played list.)

Luckily they were playing essentially all of those songs (maybe not Ribcage) when I saw them tour for Seldom Seen Kid. Does one tour make something "not played live in a long time"?

Luckily they were playing essentially all of those songs (maybe not Ribcage) when I saw them tour for Seldom Seen Kid. Does one tour make something "not played live in a long time"?

Hmm, probably not. I was going based on my concert and some other setlists I saw. I thought that was a standard show. I didn't know they really played much before Leaders anymore.

I don't know if they've been playing it, I would LOVE for them to play it when I see them in a month and I would kill (something, perhaps only an insect) for them to play 'Weather To Fly'. That is my favorite song by them. :heart:

They played it at the Lowlands festival when I saw them. :drool:
It's also one of my favourite Elbow songs. :heart:
So if they play it at a festival date, then I'd say that there's a pretty big chance they also play it at a 'regular' concert. Let's hope it stays in the set!

Elbow made their U.S. television debut last night on Fallon.

Video: Elbow makes U.S. television debut on Fallon � Consequence of Sound

Really wish they would have picked some more energetic tunes for their debut. "Lippy Kids" is great, but not really the song I'd pick for an unfamiliar audience.

Thanks. I just happened to check the cable guide before I went to bed last night, and saw that they were the musical guest. I didn't see it posted on Twitter or their FB page :sad:

I agree about Lippy Kids. Gorgeous song, however something a little more upbeat would have been nice to hear. I can't wait to see them on Monday.

Lippy Kids is one of the few tracks that's stuck with me from this album, so I think it was a good choice for the performance. Sounded nice too. Honestly, there's not much better to chose from for a TV performance if they're going to play "new" songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom