Elbow!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be the only person who thinks Seldom Seen Kid is in the bottom half of their catalog quality wise. I like it, but think Leaders of the Free World and Asleep in the Back are far better.

Someone told me it was also available on iTunes today.

What's going on with these wacky release dates? Whatever, I ordered my Canadian copy, I'm not buying a second one on iTunes.

I must be the only person who thinks Seldom Seen Kid is in the bottom half of their catalog quality wise.

Must be.

I go back and forth between SSK and Leaders as my favorite. I lean towards SSK most of the time, as it feels more mature and cohesive, but then Leaders feels like it's reach is broader, from Leaders of the Free World to two of the best (if not the two best) intimate songs they've done, Everthere and Great Expectations.

Someone told me it was also available on iTunes today.

What's going on with these wacky release dates? Whatever, I ordered my Canadian copy, I'm not buying a second one on iTunes.

It's available on the various legal digital sites now, used my free credits at Napster.

Pitchfork has cleared some things up:

In the UK, Fiction will release the album on March 7. In the U.S., it'll get a digital release the next day, with a physical release coming April 12. Single "Neat Little Rows" is out February 27.

Pitchfork: Elbow Announce New Album, Tour

Unfortunately as I was expecting. Oh wellz. To import or not to import?

:wink:

Mirrorball is the sexy, decadent song of SSK. I want to hear that one now, it's good late night fare anyway.

Haven't heard anything from the album yet, and you guys aren't inspiring me. Dammit, elfa.

If my opinion means anything to you, ElMel (and it should :wink:), I think this is a fantastic album and you should pick it up. Maybe there isn't anything groundbreaking here, but there are some real gorgeous gems.

I totally forgot about the US delay and went to the store expecting to pick it up along with R.E.M. yesterday. Oh well, I'm not buying on iTunes, I'm listening to the leak until I can get myself a US CD.

It's a gorgeous album, and I would say for the most part it's a step up from SSK (so u2popmofo, no you aren't the only one who thinks that way), but there's no real new ground here musically, production-wise there's some new ground though. ATM my two favorite tracks segue into each other: Lippy Kids (reminds me of the sound that made me fall in love with them with Asleep in the Back), and With Love (love that vocal interplay. But I gotta give it more complete listens.

I just got my CD! I wasn't expecting it for another week!

Dear Canadian Amazon and DHL:

Thanks, eh?

:heart: :heart:

About halfway through the first listen. I really like it. I think the only one that passed me by so far was Jesus Is a Rochdale Girl.

By the time I thought, "Hey, I like this song" and looked to see that it was track #6, I realized I'd completely missed #5. Nothing caught my attention about it. Will have to go back later and give it a proper listen.

This album is reaaaaaaly growing on me right about now. It's so earnest and accessible while retaining the lush arrangements of their past, this would be a great entrance for any would-be fan.

My initial reaction (after one listen of course) is that the album is good, not great. I loved the first four or five songs, then it lulled untiil the closer, which I also adored.

Never, however, has an influence been so in my face, but wow did the Scratch My Back experience influence them. This has recent Peter Gabriel all over it.

Anyways, definitely worth a few more spins, and I plan to give it 'em. Glad I avoided this thread until I hear it. Bomac's a little more sweeee than normal :wink:

A track-by-track, first impression review:

The Birds - Towering and curiously constructed, but not a moment of it stuck in my head. It's so damn epic though, I was probably just overwhelmed on first listen. It was certainly awesome, but not exactly catchy. I'll like it more once I have time to parse it out.

Lippy Kids - Horribly, horribly repetitive, and I don't care for the lyrics. I hate that album title more than ever. The piano hook is strong, however, and the vocals are, as always, fucking good. Threatens to really take off, but it never quite does. Would be an inspirational 2 minute interlude, but instead it's 6 minutes and a bit bloated.

With Love - Awesome; this is one of those really refreshing mid-album tracks that reminds you of the importance of great hooks, except it's placed really early, which makes it feel a bit slight, especially after the epic opening duo. The production really kicks.

Neat Little Rows - Also reminds you of the importance of hooks: there isn't one here. Not exactly awful, but the din behind the track reminds you that not much is happening in the front to distract you from it. Decent chorus. Not sure why this was the lead single.

Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl - Something vaguely avant garde about the keyboard noodling. It doesn't add all that much, but it keeps me listening. This is a relaxing track that I could see slipping past someone, but the album is jumpy enough so far that the individual tracks are certainly being emphasized over the whole. I don't love this one, but it's pretty.

The Night Will Always Win - I dig their keyboard sound on this record. Reminds me of that sound your car makes when you leave the door open. If Elbow ever starts their own country, this could be the national anthem; it has a certain dignified pomp and circumstance about it.

High Ideals - Great percussion, great horns. This is the shock the album needed. Or at least it should certainly be. The problem is that the track is all buildup, never capitalizing with a terrific chorus, or even a bridge that deviates from the pattern. Decent background music, a passable jam, but not exactly a standout.

The River - Reminds me of Pyramid Song a bit. Beautifully layered vocals. Once again, it fails to break out or exceed sketch status as a song, but it's a worthy late-album track. It'll probably sound great under the right circumstances.

Open Arms - And this one reminds me of the more jubilant moments of another Interference favorite, Sigur Ros. It's brilliant; a head-swimming, choir-propelled trek to the heavens.

The Birds (Reprise) - Uh.

Dear Friends - Hopefully not about their fanbase. I love the guitar tone. Very pretty but, once again, it never really takes off. I love the vocals, I love the production, I love the horns at the end, but it sounds closer to credit sequence fare than epic closer.

In short: This album doesn't really sound finished to me. Most of the tracks seem to be enjoyable scribbles, but none of them feel circular or truly fleshed out, and the ones that do don't stick the way their past singles have. They could all be interlude tracks, as far as I'm concerned, outside of the first few. I agree with Peef that the bookends have the best stuff while the stretch in the middle is pretty flat. Hopefully, this album grows on me; I love these guys, but the songwriting just isn't there.

I've listened to the new album this morning. It will need more spins obviously but my initial feeling is that nothing really stuck in my mind after and including Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl, which at the moment feels like it might be the most boring song Elbow have ever done. Hopefully the record is a grower.

Sweeee is a good thing. Its a state of being that can only be achieved by an event such as a band you love releasing an album you love.

Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl, which at the moment feels like it might be the most boring song Elbow have ever done.

It's my least favorite as well. Feels like they chose the crazy title just to try make up for how boring the song is. :wink:

In short: This album doesn't really sound finished to me. Most of the tracks seem to be enjoyable scribbles, but none of them feel circular or truly fleshed out, and the ones that do don't stick the way their past singles have. They could all be interlude tracks, as far as I'm concerned, outside of the first few.

Agreed with most of your thoughts on the songs, and definitely the summary. To be fair though, I think Elbow have released a fair share of filler on all of their albums in the past. Even their best ones usually have two or three snooze worthy tracks on them, so I guess in the grand scheme of things, I guess we should have all expected it.

Even though the albums don't sound similar, I'm really reminded of when Cast of Thousands came out. At that time, even though everyone agreed the album wasn't as good as the previous one, and only had a few memorable songs, everyone still seemed to enjoy it. I'm sorta feeling that way with Build a Rocket. Not as good as I would have liked it to be (maybe not even close to being as good as I would have liked it to be), but still a nice listen if I'm in the right mood.

I like this album more than Seldom Seen Kid but I wasn't as crazy about that album as a lot of people were. The beginning and the end of the album have some great songs, most notably The Birds and Dear Friends. The middle part is pretty boring though and I hate the reprise of The Birds. What an awful voice that man has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom