Edun Modestly Priced???? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Edun Modestly Priced????

I thought they said this line was going to be modestly priced. I checked the saks wed site. The lowest price I found was 80 bucks and that was for a tank top. A shirt was priced in the 200.00 dollar range. A blazer was over 300.00 bucks.
I don't your common working class folk can afford those prices.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
She's the One

Local Time: 09:54 AM
And at least one of the pieces was made in the US.

Yeah, 58 clams for a t-shirt is a little precious.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 12:54 PM
It is being sold at Saks. You can't expect it to be inexpensive if it is being sold there.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

if i ever buy a t-shirt for 80 bucks, i would expect it to come with a large breasted woman.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #5
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
It is being sold at Saks. You can't expect it to be inexpensive if it is being sold there.
Yeah, but one of the gimmicks of the line was that it's priced so regular folks can buy it and support women and organic farming and all that jazz. But at those prices, it becomes just another way for the wealthy to buy something exclusive and pretend they're doing their part for the poor.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
The Fly

Old 03-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Refugee

That stinks. Its too bad too. Those are great jeans!
Old 03-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Maybe they are testing the market right now. If it does well hopefully they will move the line to Macy's, Nordstroms, Bloomingdales.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:15 AM   #9
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
Maybe they are testing the market right now. If it does well hopefully they will move the line to Macy's, Nordstroms, Bloomingdales.
I thought about that too but if it is a test, they seem to be targeting a higher end consumer. I really like the clothes but if the prices stay that high, they are way out my range.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Yeah, but one of the gimmicks of the line was that it's priced so regular folks can buy it and support women and organic farming and all that jazz. But at those prices, it becomes just another way for the wealthy to buy something exclusive and pretend they're doing their part for the poor.
Good point. Isn't it possibly to develope a fair-trade, organic fashion line that is reasonably priced for us regular folks?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

They're charging $139 for a cotton, white tank top.

They are out of their bloody minds if they think this will take with the "regular" folk. martha is completely right: at these prices it will become a fashionable thing for the Hollywood crowd and essentially nobody else.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl

Good point. Isn't it possibly to develope a fair-trade, organic fashion line that is reasonably priced for us regular folks?

Yes, it is absolutely possible. While the fact that this is a new market does rise the production costs a little, there is no reason why the clothes should be so expensive. They are not expensive because they are fair-trade, but because they are designer clothes, and are targeting a Saks-like consumers. Like others have said, they are probably in the range of clothes sold there anyways.

Fair-trade products will never be super-cheap (ala Wal-Mart), because really cheap stuff usually involves exploiting someone at some point, but they can be reasonably-priced.

They clearly chose to go for that type of market, and IMO that doesn't make Edun a bad idea, I still think it's the business model of the future. They could have gone for something more affordable, it's true, but I guess it's not their world. These are people who dress in Prada, don't forget...
Old 03-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 08:54 PM
actually, edun was gonna be a 'designer' line from the beginning, so its not really surprising that its high priced
Old 03-13-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Oxfam have been selling fair trade items, including clothing, for decades. The prices are more expensive than Kmart but still affordable.

Bono once spoke, ages ago, about how his wife was going to establish a fashion line that was ethically produced and still make a lot of money. I think there's two goals here.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #15
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

Bono once spoke, ages ago, about how his wife was going to establish a fashion line that was ethically produced and still make a lot of money. I think there's two goals here.
If it's "ethically" produced, yet still making a lot of money, to keep the ethical label, the profits should be pumped right back into production and women and organic farming and all that jazz. If the designer and Ali are lining their pockets, fuck them, their ethics, and their 60 dollar t-shirts.