Edun Modestly Priced????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maggie1

Acrobat
I thought they said this line was going to be modestly priced. I checked the saks wed site. The lowest price I found was 80 bucks and that was for a tank top. A shirt was priced in the 200.00 dollar range. A blazer was over 300.00 bucks.
I don't your common working class folk can afford those prices.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
It is being sold at Saks. You can't expect it to be inexpensive if it is being sold there.

Yeah, but one of the gimmicks of the line was that it's priced so regular folks can buy it and support women and organic farming and all that jazz. But at those prices, it becomes just another way for the wealthy to buy something exclusive and pretend they're doing their part for the poor.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Maybe they are testing the market right now. If it does well hopefully they will move the line to Macy's, Nordstroms, Bloomingdales. :shrug:
I thought about that too but if it is a test, they seem to be targeting a higher end consumer. I really like the clothes but if the prices stay that high, they are way out my range.

martha said:

Yeah, but one of the gimmicks of the line was that it's priced so regular folks can buy it and support women and organic farming and all that jazz. But at those prices, it becomes just another way for the wealthy to buy something exclusive and pretend they're doing their part for the poor.

Good point. Isn't it possibly to develope a fair-trade, organic fashion line that is reasonably priced for us regular folks?:scratch:

Last edited:
They're charging $139 for a cotton, white tank top.

They are out of their bloody minds if they think this will take with the "regular" folk. martha is completely right: at these prices it will become a fashionable thing for the Hollywood crowd and essentially nobody else.

Golightly Grrl said:

Good point. Isn't it possibly to develope a fair-trade, organic fashion line that is reasonably priced for us regular folks?:scratch:

Yes, it is absolutely possible. While the fact that this is a new market does rise the production costs a little, there is no reason why the clothes should be so expensive. They are not expensive because they are fair-trade, but because they are designer clothes, and are targeting a Saks-like consumers. Like others have said, they are probably in the range of clothes sold there anyways.

Fair-trade products will never be super-cheap (ala Wal-Mart), because really cheap stuff usually involves exploiting someone at some point, but they can be reasonably-priced.

They clearly chose to go for that type of market, and IMO that doesn't make Edun a bad idea, I still think it's the business model of the future. They could have gone for something more affordable, it's true, but I guess it's not their world. These are people who dress in Prada, don't forget...

actually, edun was gonna be a 'designer' line from the beginning, so its not really surprising that its high priced :eyebrow:

Oxfam have been selling fair trade items, including clothing, for decades. The prices are more expensive than Kmart but still affordable.

Bono once spoke, ages ago, about how his wife was going to establish a fashion line that was ethically produced and still make a lot of money. I think there's two goals here.

beli said:

Bono once spoke, ages ago, about how his wife was going to establish a fashion line that was ethically produced and still make a lot of money. I think there's two goals here.

If it's "ethically" produced, yet still making a lot of money, to keep the ethical label, the profits should be pumped right back into production and women and organic farming and all that jazz. If the designer and Ali are lining their pockets, fuck them, their ethics, and their 60 dollar t-shirts.

martha said:

If it's "ethically" produced, yet still making a lot of money, to keep the ethical label, the profits should be pumped right back into production and women and organic farming and all that jazz. If the designer and Ali are lining their pockets, fuck them, their ethics, and their 60 dollar t-shirts.

i dont think they really need the money anymore :eyebrow:

seriously, why would someone who has enough money to last their whole family for a couple of generations bother to launch a clothing line? because they want MORE money?

thats plain BS

I think it's ridiculous!!! Even for those of us...who can "afford" these clothes prices... I can "afford" these prices, but I'm still NOT going to "dish out" the bucks on these AVERAGE "middle-class type" clothes... The money made is supposed to be paid to the fair trade workers, who are now employed with a job (they make a "fair" wage for making the clothes). Well, these fair trade workers MUST BE making a "fortune" themselves. I agree.....
the rich people, are the only ones who will "participate" in "purchasing" Ms Hewson's fashion line.... 'cuz the middle / lower-class people can't all "afford these prices". If Ms Hewson really wanted to do some good, why couldn't she DONATE some of these clothes to the "poorer" people who can't afford them??
She can afford to give some of these clothes away to "poor"
people and still pay the fair trade workers for making the clothes too. But that's IMPOSSIBLE to the rich......
" More power to them!!" These clothes are gonna sit on the store hangers... or be worn only by people who have money... which is the "wrong" image that Ms Hewson is portraying here....
And shame on her for dragging Bono in on her mistake too. :mad:

You can still purchase Fair Trade clothes, just perhaps not these ones. The Edun clothes are still reportedly made according to Fair Trade guidelines, so thats a good thing.

What we need is for every brand of clothing, from Kmart to Dior, to be produced ethically. :up:

Last edited:
"Right now she's working on a new way to do business in apparel," Bono proudly said last week. "It involves fair trade practices in which people in Third World countries are paid properly and get proper health insurance, and you still make a fortune.

Nice quote from Bono there.
I appreciate that they want a profit, but the idea that 'you still make a fortune' seems a bit out of taste, given the nature of the Edun range in the first place and give that the Hewson household is already loaded.
I'd seriously question how the pricetags are jusitifed for some of the clothing (not all of it) and in which direction the profits are going. I've paid high prices for ethically made clothing before, but not on that scale.

The whole point of this line is to prove to the 'big' companies that you can hire people at ethical wages plus benefits and still make a fortune. I'd be very surprized if Edun didn't later come out with a line of affordable clothes for us commoners. I think that it's smart to start a small line out with an educated, knowledgable consumer group, rather that mass marketing (high risk) to the 'ignorant masses'. Once it catches on with the elites, the masses may indicate a demand.

beli said:
You can still purchase Fair Trade clothes, just perhaps not these ones.

Are you kidding???.... If people DON'T purchase these clothes.....

Then what business does Ms Hewson have in "launching" her own
fashion line, EDUN????? I'd say none at all!!!

Yep.... These clothes are gonna "sit" on the shelves or just
"decorate" store hangers.... since most average people can't afford them....
(Well, Let's all rely on the rich, to help out the rich, in making
a statement regarding helping Fair Trade workers...)
That's the only way her clothes are gonna SELL big-time!!!!

Im not too sure I understand what you are saying.

I'm sure some people will purchase Edun clothes. I'm not from the USA so I'm unaware of the target market of Saks but Saks obviously believe their customers will purchase Edun clothes or they wouldn't stock them.

They aren't a huge corporation yet are they? I honestly don't know how big they are, but only by mass producing could you make these clothes available to people like me at an affordable price. I don't know about you, but Saks isn't a place I go to for clothes. To me, this isn't about what I want right now but about employing people in developing coutries and at an honest I wage. I'm crossing my fingers that this little company makes it big and proves their point. :wink:

That's true !!!

But Saks is a highly OVER PRICED dept store... that most average
middle and lower class people would NOT shop inside. They would go to "cheaper" dept stores instead because they
"can't afford" to shop at Saks 5th Avenue..
A perfect example is this..... I can "afford" to shop at Saks or even Bloomingdale's, but why bother spending money on over-priced clothing???? That's ridiculous... I can spend more money wisely by getting alot more for my money at a "cheaper" and
more "reasonable" dept store ( like Sears, JC Penney's or Kohls..)

That's how I (and everyone I know) shops as well. But we're supporting the practices that are leading to lost jobs here and criminal pay rates 'over there'. As soon as Edun gets large enough to supply the demand they already have from people like me (at a price I can consider:wink: ) then they surely will. In the meantime, I'm going to try to start shopping at places that treat their employees right, don't downsize, and just expect to pay a little more. It seems worthwhile to me.

Last edited:
martha said:

I don't their goal is to personally make a lot of money. When he said "make a fortune", he didn't mean himself personally. I think he meant that their goal is to show that it is possible to make ethically produced clothes and for a company to still be successful doing so. Other companies are not going to want to follow suit if the line is not successful. The bbc report had an interview with a fashion industry person (I don't remember her name) that said the Hewsons have personally put a lot of their own money into this without expecting a return. They aren't going to be seeing a profit from this for years, if ever.

Last edited:
MsMofoGone said:
That's true !!!

But Saks is a highly OVER PRICED dept store... that most average
middle and lower class people would NOT shop inside. They would go to "cheaper" dept stores instead because they
"can't afford" to shop at Saks 5th Avenue..
A perfect example is this..... I can "afford" to shop at Saks or even Bloomingdale's, but why bother spending money on over-priced clothing???? That's ridiculous... I can spend more money wisely by getting alot more for my money at a "cheaper" and
more "reasonable" dept store ( like Sears, JC Penney's or Kohls..)

Using quotation marks so much makes your posts hard to read.

Back
Top Bottom