educate me please, this thing called hockey is really foreign to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there are 2 referees on the ice and 2 linesman

referees call the penalties, like hooking, spearing, boarding...

for these penalties a player must leave the ice for 2 minutes. his team will then play "shorthanded," as in 5 against 4. he can return when the other team scores, or his 2 minutes are up, which ever is first.

sometimes there is a more serious penalty, called a major penalty, for which he will have to leave for 5 minutes. and he can not return until the 5 minutes are over, even if the other team scores.

the linesman call the line infractions, like offsides, icing, 2-line passes

for this, the play is just whistled dead and there is a faceoff

the referee's crease is usually where the refs go when they want to talk to each other or a player, and it is where he tells the off ice official what the penalty being called is. he can also go there to ask an off ice official for an instant review, usually on if the puck crossed the goal line or not

Last edited:
spearing is what it sounds like. taking your stick and jabbing it into someone. it is a 2 minute penalty.

no, icing is not a penalty, it just results in a faceoff in your own zone. (meaning near your net)

Spearing can happen at the most inconvenient times, often when you're about to regain the momentum that you had just lost. It's not always a bad thing, as things do get out of hand when no one is looking. Sometimes, we need to spear one another to get a feel for each other. It's really part of the fun of such a physical venture. The whistle usually blows anyway. Often a sign that things are getting too intense.

Last edited:
naw, hockey is a tough sport, there is also slashing, (taking your stick and whacking someone), high sticking (hitting someone in the face with your stick (if you draw blood then it is a 4 minute penatly)), cross checking (taking your stick and making it parallel to the groud and and knocking someone over from behind with it), roughing (punching someone), elbowing, holding....

these are all 2 minute penalties.

but, if there is somethkg really bad that results in a bad injury, you can get kicked out of the game

if you pull someone down when he has a clean break to the net, meaning there is no one between him and the goalie, than that is a penalty shot, the most exciting play in sports

the player gets the puck at center ice and he can take it on the goalie one on one, he gets one shot, if he scores its a goal, if not, there is a faceoff and the game continues

other basic rules

there are 3 20 minute periods with 15 minute intermissions between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd periods

in the regular season, if it is tied there is then a 5 minute sudden death overtime period if it is tied, which is played 4 on 4

if you win the game you get 2 points

if you lose in regulation you get 0

if you lose in overtime you get 1

clean as a whistle

goalies have their big leg pads

shoulder pads that also come down and protect the chest

the helmet

a cup of course

gloves, thats about it

well the helmet is really a mask that covers the face

its the best hockey equiptment there is, because goalies have them painted in cool designs

something like this

mask5_1.gif

or

Franklin_SX_Pro_Extreme_Serpent_In_Line_Hockey_Goalie_Mask_Hockey_In_line_Skating-resized200.jpg

Last edited:
ah, well these days more and more players are wearing visors, but the majority dont wear anything to protect their face, which is kind of dumb if you ask me

even their helmets really dont go on too tightly, as the straps go like 3 or 4 inches below their chin, gretzky was famous for this

trivia time mikey, who was the last player to play without any helmet at all?

ok how about the skates. now mind you i own a pair of hockey skates instead of figure skates. lol i have no fucking clue how to stop but hey that is what the boards are for, right? ;)

anyway, when the blades on the skates wear out, how do they sharpen them? and are there restrictions to how sharp the blades can be?

umm, no restrictions that i know of

there is a machine that they use that sharpens the blades for them

to stop you actually turn your skate to its side, and use the side of your skate to dig into the ice, that is why when you see hockey players stop some ice will come flying up

this is actuall known as a "hockey stop"

this guy is performing a hockey stop

hockey_stop.jpg

notice he turned sideways and leans back so the sides of his skates stop his momentum

Back
Top Bottom