educate me please, this thing called hockey is really foreign to me - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2003, 12:05 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 04:49 PM
a big goon line?!

that is what i thought scoring is better than a fight

alright, so is it better to score on fresh ice or ice that has been played on for awhile?

Old 05-22-2003, 12:06 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:49 PM
Chizip, which zones respond better to an aggressive forecheck, and which ones require more finesse -- would you say?

Old 05-22-2003, 12:07 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
is the crease the goalie box? can anyone of his team mates enter that or does the goalie have to protect the crease on their own?
Old 05-22-2003, 12:09 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

any teammate can go in his own goalies crease, he just can not "freeze the puck", that means putting his hand down on it, or any body part really so no one else can get it.

if you go into the other goalie's crease, that is usually goalie interference, and a penalty.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:11 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
alright, so is it better to score on fresh ice or ice that has been played on for awhile?
Well, it depends what your aim is. if you want to go for a long pass, you need the right lubrication, hence a fresh sheet. We know a fresh sheet would come in handy between line changes, but unfortuanately, the zamboni will only cover the sheet once. We all know an explosive line can't be overused. This is why the best players use their time cautiously to get into the groove.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:12 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

a big goon line is necessary in hockey

why you ask?

because hockey refereeing is usually very bad, and so players must police themself

if an opposing player does something bad to one of your star players, than the goon line will than go out and take care of business, usually by beating the crap out of the other team
Old 05-22-2003, 12:13 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
any teammate can go in his own goalies crease, he just can not "freeze the puck", that means putting his hand down on it, or any body part really so no one else can get it.

if you go into the other goalie's crease, that is usually goalie interference, and a penalty.
can his teammates hit it with his blades?
Old 05-22-2003, 12:16 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
is the crease the goalie box? can anyone of his team mates enter that or does the goalie have to protect the crease on their own?
Chizip did a good job, but just to add...the crease is very much the goalie's private area. He does require protection, otherwise he'll end up giving rise to precarious situations. Sometimes, after someone crashes his crease, he ends up swimming around looking for the puck. The puck is always hard to find in such sticky situations. It's a dangerous place to be. Thank God he has a shield to protect himself with!
Old 05-22-2003, 12:16 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

it is easier to score on fresh ice, because you can skate faster on it, the puck doesnt bounce up and down, and its easier to make passes

so the skill players can show off their skills a lot more, with great puck control, skating faster, and making nicer passes on clean ice
Old 05-22-2003, 12:18 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

oh ok. i see. sorry for the random questions.

now about the hockey stick. are they made of wood? and is there a size limit on how big they can be?
Old 05-22-2003, 12:18 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

a teammate can hit the puck with anything in their own crease, even their hand. they just cant stop the puck and hold it, by sitting on it, or using their hand, or anything like that, they have to keep it moving. stopping the puck is known as freezing it, and usually onl the goalie can do that. if a player does it in his own crease thats a penalty shot for the other team.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:21 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

they were made of wood, but more and more players are using graphite sticks these days. its just the new technology that makes your shots harder.

im sure there is a rule on how long they can be. i know there is a rule on how much curve the blade of your stick can have. that is because the more curve there is the easier it is to shoot the puck high.

also, goalie sticks are different, the blades are much thicker, and i know there is a rule on how thick they can be. they are shorter as well.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:22 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

so they (not the goalie) can use their hands to touch the puck?
Old 05-22-2003, 12:24 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

yes, players can catch the puck, but they have to drop it right away and than use the stick.

also, if the player is lying on the ice, he can use his hand to push it away somewhere.

but, you can not intentional use your hand to pass it to a teamate, that is a "hand pass" and that is a no no.

but using your hand can be helpful if the puck is in a dangerous spot and you just want to clear it out.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:24 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
oh ok. i see. sorry for the random questions.

now about the hockey stick. are they made of wood? and is there a size limit on how big they can be?
Don't worry about the random questions. It's much like hockey, often requiring a full load of blanks before hitting the mark.

Hockey sticks come in many different sizes, the shaft is often the area in which the player can feel the vibrations of the game. It's an extension of his body. It is here that, with the right grip and right momentum, he can use his force and aim to find the corners of the meshing. Some sticks explode on contact, however, and this has been a growing problem for some time now. This spring we have seen many stick explode with, if not over zealousnes, a definite frustration.