Editors--An End Has A Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:
I love The Back Room. I just haven't had a chance to check out the new album yet.

:yes: Couldn't have said it better myself.

In fact, I saw them live about a year ago, at The Avalon in L.A. They were pretty good, not great. But they had the potential there.

I definitely want to check out the new album.

Appallingly bad. "Smokers" is a good way to start things off, but it's nothing but pure shit, from there.

Glad to see a thread about this...I haven't gotten the album yet but I listened to it on myspace. It was hard to judge on one listen. However, Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors and Bones are two of the best songs Editors have ever done. They definitely seem to be going for a more anthemic feel, and it really works for those two songs at least :up: (I got the Smokers EP)

FitzChivalry said:

In fact, I saw them live about a year ago, at The Avalon in L.A. They were pretty good, not great. But they had the potential there.

I saw them live last year too :yes: I only knew one song back then but when I got out of there I bought the album and loved it! They still have to grow a lot but they're in the good way ;)

Hopefully the new album continues their growth in a good way.

BTW annie_vox, a spot opened up in the Desert Island competition if you want it, although it's kind of last minute. Let Screwtape or Axver know...

While I still maintain that this is one of the most embarrassing albums of the year, it nevertheless earned my eternal respect by inspiring the following, totally inaccurate explosion of insanity from Playlouder. This is the best pull-quote I've seen since the Donkey Punch/formaldehyde line from the CMG review of Weezer's Make Believe:

"I know who I want on my billboards; this album is fucking brilliant – it made me want to cut my hair, paint the ceiling, fuck the postman and burn the disco down. So I did. Then I curled up in a corner, cried, and shat myself."

http://playlouder.com/review/+an-end-has-a-sta/

Oh, how I love it...

I heard them on Sirius. Not bad at all. I'm just swamped with good music to listen to. 2007 has been an incredible year.

phanan said:
Hopefully the new album continues their growth in a good way.

BTW annie_vox, a spot opened up in the Desert Island competition if you want it, although it's kind of last minute. Let Screwtape or Axver know...

I only saw this now... Anyway I don't have anything prepared, and I don't have much time either... So, maybe next time ;) Thanks for letting me know anyway:wink:

I first heard AN END HAS A START (song) yesterday, and that was my introduction to the Editors, and I like what I hear...

I've had some time to listen to this and it is an awesome album! Editors really grow on you!

It takes a little while to get used to the lead singer's unique vocals but it's the guitars that make this album great. Reminds me a lot of Edge of the Boy album. There are many good songs.

"If you Shout..." I think you're on crack with your assessment of this album. This is quickly becoming one of my favs of the year.

This album's greatness continues to grow like gravity.

Finding this inspired me to revisit the Back Room as well, which is also brilliant.

I only wish that the tour was coming somewhere I could see it.

It's funny how Interpol etc. are getting all the hype, but the Joy Division meets early U2 vibe of this record just digs in, and does its magic, and makes one want to listen over and over and over............

Anu said:
It's funny how Interpol etc. are getting all the hype, but the Joy Division meets early U2 vibe of this record just digs in, and does its magic, and makes one want to listen over and over and over............

I have to admit though, if I'd never heard of Interpol, I probably would have thought this to be an amazing album. But when I listen to it now, I can't help but think about Interpol and how they're doing this a lot better. :shrug:

I've got the album but haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. Funnily enough, my first exposure to Editors was through one of those complimentary CDs that come with the Q magazine sometimes - it was a compilation of whacky covers and Editors did a take on REM's "Orange Crush".

Forgive the failed simile, Diemen.

Late summer in Tennessee, 'it grows on you' is dangerous territory, and I should probably pursue another poetic path or ....... we end up with:

It grows like a summertime poison ivy rash, like the tall weeds filled with chiggers and ticks.

This album has its hooks in me much more than the new Interpol, which is why it's funny that the Editors suffer as second-tier Interpol ripoffs.

But then, I still love my old Alarm, Simple Minds, and Waterboys records, discs that were hurt by U2 comparisons over and again .. . . ..

I finally got around to listening to this today. I wasn't sure how it would hold up to The Back Room, but I must say it is excellent. There might be better songs on The Back Room, but I think as a whole this new album might actually be better.

I just went through the album again and am loving it. Seems to have more of an atmospheric feel to it, to my ears anyway. Not quite as loud as some of the songs on The Back Room.

Great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom