Eddy Curry/Chicago Bulls Situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Has anyone been following this? It's getting ugly and fascinating at the same time. For those who don't know, here's the deal:

1.Eddy Curry was drafted in 2001 and is now a Restricted Free Agent. This basically means the Bulls have to make to conciously decide that they don't want Curry in order for Curry to leave.

2.In April 2005, Eddy Curry developed an irregular heartbeat, and subsequently missed the remainder of the season which ended in June. The irregular heartbeat has since gone away, but in examinations regarding the irregular heartbeat, it was found that Eddy has an enlarged heart. So what?

3.Here's where the problem is: The irregular heartbeat combined with the enlarged heart is symptomatic of cardiomyopathy. Remember Reggie Lewis and Hank Gathers? Both dropped dead in the middle of basketball games. The culprit was the same disease.

4.So, Eddy isn't on contract and now there's a chance he could have this potentially fatal disease, which in turn makes the Bulls much more cautious about giving him the big guaranteed money and years that he wants. A doctor in LA cleared him to play, but this doctor did it over the phone, didn't even see Eddy, which has led to a LOT of speculation about there being a 'favor' therein. There is a Qualifying Offer on the table, which is simply the first offer made by the team with the bird rights to a Restricted Free Agent. It's a one-year deal worth relatively little money. Basically, no one else is making Eddy any offers because of his possible ailment, and the Bulls want Curry to sumbit to a DNA test in order to agree to a larger contract, so that they can have a better idea of the likleyhood of Curry having this thing. Curry doesn't want to take the DNA test because of 'privacy' issues. What this really means is that he doesn't want to take the risk of the test saying that it's likely he does have the disease. FYI, the Bulls actually offered Curry a bigger, 3-year contract, but it required Eddy to shoulder a good portion of the risk involved and apparently, even though the money(which is the neighborhood of $20 million) was guaranteed to an extent, it wasn't enough for Curry or his agents. I re-iterate my positon that Eddy Curry is a dumbass.

5.The NBA's new Collecitve Bargaining Agreement clearly says that a team can require a player to submit to any tests it deems neccessary before declaring his physical 'passed' and letting him play. Curry's agents and lawyer are saying he won't take the test because the Bulls have no right to ask for it and that there are privacy issues(as if the whole results of the test are going to be published in the paper or something, yeah right) yada yada. Meanwhile, Bulls Chief John Paxson doesn't want to let Curry play without the test because he is ademant about not wanting to let Curry risk his health/life(literally) with the Bulls.

6.So now it's getting ugly and both sides appear to be unwavering. There are several options now...

A.Curry signs Qualifying Offer, the Bulls don't let him play without test, Curry gets paid to sit for a year, and then becomes Unrestricted Free Agent next year. I hate this idea.

B.Curry submits to DNA test, gets bigger contract. Very unlikley.

C.Bulls cave and give Curry bigger contract anyway. Won't happen.

D.Bulls do a sign-and-trade with Curry now before the season starts, with a team that doesn't care about the DNA test. Probable. I am in favor of this.

E.Curry signs Qualifying Offer, plays the year out, and depending on how his health holds up, might get a bigger deal from the Bulls next offseason. As a Bulls fan, I don't want to go through this soap opera again next year.

There could be legal happenings before or during several of these options.

That's the lowdown. Thoughts?

If I was Curry I'd want to get the test to know for sure I wouldn't die while playing basketball. Some things are more important than money.

I guess here's my thoughts.
1. Good thing we drafted him...
2. He's all about the money..."He looks at a menu and says, "Ok!"
3. He's not worth the money (5 rpg, hahaha!)
4. The Knicks will take him

Seriously, what is this guy thinking. He has not proven he's a money player so how does he think he'll get money. He had a good situation. The Hawks wanted him. But he screwed that up. They didn't care about the heart ailment. He showed up, and left early before meetings were over. He claimed it was a "mix-up". That isn't even why Atlanta isn't now making an offer. He's again, out of shape and not game ready in the off season. If he wants big money, he needs to figure out where the weight room is.

Signed,
Eddy Curry skeptic
Phil

All in all, Eddy Curry is an undisciplined, out of shape bust. It's hard to believe he thinks he is worth so much when he has no numbers to show for it. What he did with Atlanta is laughable. I think his excuse was that he had a shower of some sort to attend to. :rolleyes:

I, too, would want to know if playing basketball could kill me.

On the other hand, when John Paxon was interviewed on the Score a few weeks ago he said he would not have his children take the test. (to see if they had a genetic heart defect) :hmm:

As an organization, the Bulls should be worried though. I have no clue as to how this will play out.

the knicks also give the bulls a draft pick, tito, michael, marlon, jackie, a hank gathers highlight film, and one of burger king's new meatnormous breakfast sandwiches.

:rolleyes:

not to be an insensitive prick, and i wish no ill will on anybody, but only the knicks would be so eager to get a 6'11": guy who had 5 rebounds a game and has a serious heart condition.

That sandwich is friggin' meatnormous though.
Though if I saw the "king" during my lumberjack job, I'd probably be freaked out and take the chainsaw to his oversized plastic head. (And get many thanks from Drew Bledsoe)

Back
Top Bottom