Echo and the Bunnymen recording new album soon - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Echo and the Bunnymen recording new album soon

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...name_page.html

Looks like recording starts in September! I know there are a few Bunnymen fans around here, or at least it seems like there are from recent posts, so I thought I'd give a heads up. I'm expecting that it will probably something similar to Siberia. Which goes for everything else released over the past ten years, ugh. I'd love to see them try something different, but I honestly doubt it will happen. They're not half the band they used to be (in more ways than one...sorry, that was in bad taste.)

Still, Siberia was a pretty good album. It has grown on me a bit since I got it. Yeah, it's terribly poppy and there's quite a bit of cheese here and there, but the high points - namely the last four songs and Parthenon Drive - are quite good. If there's anything like that on the new album, it should be a solid piece. I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I'm still excited. My only worry is the state of Ian's voice. True, in most of the videos I've seen from recent live performances, he has been drunk or at the very least tipsy. Still, he has been sounding fairly croaky...

If you guys just want to turn this into a general Bunnymen droolfest rather than talk about the new album, please go ahead. I'm on a Bunnymen kick lately.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:57 AM

The Cutter started playing on my iTunes.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

How's that for a coincidence?

[random] Heaven Up Here could quite possibly be one of the greatest post-punk / 80s alternative albums ever recorded [/random]
Old 08-20-2006, 12:55 AM   #4
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I liked the songs from Siberia that you sent me, so that's good.

Radiohead, R.E.M., U2, and Echo albums in '07?

all a good possibility
Old 08-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. These guys are one of my favorites and Siberia was pretty excellent.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

My pleasure! I'm really interested to see how this one turns out. There really were some great melodies in Siberia. How infectious is the main riff for Make Us Blind? Or the chorus to Parthenon Drive? Definitely a solid album. Anyone else wonder if the title "All Because Of You Days" was intentional?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Anyone else wonder if the title "All Because Of You Days" was intentional?
Not until now! (He said, as he followed GG's Bunnymen love around the board.) I was just trying to recall where I heard that song, because I don't own the album...then I remembered: it's the first song that always came on my Echo & The Bunnymen station on Pandora (a sometimes fun, but mostly frustrating playlist site).

That is a great song, however. I'll be very interested in hearing the new stuff.

I've actually never bought a Bunnymen album , and up until today, the only two I had were the amazing Heaven Up Here and Ocean Rain. Both of which also have great cover art that I'd never seen before. It reminds me so much of Newfoundland!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:27 AM
Secret links

Evergreen

GG, if you're out there, I'd love to have number 4. Maybe it's a secret link in progress

I've been doing some Bunnymen research, and I think I will be buying this in the very near future: http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/musi...iverpool.shtml

I also found this. It may not be anything new for the lifelong fans, but I grabbed it right away.
http://earfarm.blogspot.com/2006/04/...ive-music.html

The band really pull the songs off live in a big way...this impresses me greatly
Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 PM   #9
Blue Meth Addict

Dearest Echo fans, I only own their best of 'Ballyhoo'. I have enjoyed it quite a bit, what album or albums should I keep my eyes out for? Which are generallly considered their best/fan favorites? I appreciate your help in advance (unless your help is going to be crap, then I don't appreciate it at all).
Old 08-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I appreciate your help in advance (unless your help is going to be crap, then I don't appreciate it at all).

I need some help too. I don't have anything of theirs, no greatest hits cd.. not even one song on itunes.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 01:57 AM
I have Ocean Rain. What album should I get next?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #12
Blue Meth Addict

Ballyhoo is a pretty good best of, Zootlesque. It's a little old and doesn't have any of their recent stuff, but it's a very solid best of for having 18 tracks on it. Lots of stuff to win you over on there.

If you're just asking for some track recommendations, these are a few of their biggest/most popular (yet still good):

The Cutter
Bring on the Dancing Horses
The Killing Moon
Old 08-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

GG, if you're out there, I'd love to have number 4. Maybe it's a secret link in progress
It was indeed a secret link in progress. It should be up now!

Quote:
The band really pull the songs off live in a big way...this impresses me greatly
Their early live stuff is incredible. I have this one version of Crocodiles that is simply out of this world. Ian McCulloch sounds like he's either out of his mind, drunk, or on something. Maybe a combination of all three. Either way, it's incredible. Almost four minutes longer than the album version!

To those curious, here is all you need to know. Heaven Up Here and Ocean Rain are spectacular. Both very different styles, though. Heaven Up Here is strictly post-punk. With Ocean Rain, they introduced a lot of strings and more upbeat arrangements. The title song is so beautiful. Perfect build up at the end. Crocodiles (the debut album) and Porcupine are also very good. Similar to Heaven Up Here in terms of sound. Porcupine is probably the strangest out of all of them.

And that covers the first four albums, which are their best (I think.) The self-titled album came out in 1987. And while the melodies are very good, I think it suffers a bit from the 80s production. There are some sounds on that album that make me want to pull my hair out.

Don't bother with the album they released without Ian McCulloch, it's shit.

When they reformed in 1997, it was to recapture a bit of their 80s sound. It's all a bit middle of the road from that point onwards, but still worth a listen every now and then.

So anyway, final verdict: start with either Heaven Up Here or Ocean Rain then move on to Porcupine and Crocodiles.

EDIT: And if you're interested in their recent stuff, either get Siberia or Evergreen.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by clifedge
I have Ocean Rain. What album should I get next?
Heaven Up Here!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

I need some help too. I don't have anything of theirs, no greatest hits cd.. not even one song on itunes.
Zoots, we could rectify this fairly easily.

I just posted three times in a row. Wow.