ebay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pub crawler

New Yorker
So I just made my first ever purchase on ebay. I bought a CD.

At this point I don't really know much about the "tricks" of working ebay but one question that comes to mind is, can sellers bid up the price of their own items?

I've wondered the same thing actually. My friend mentioned how if two people teamed up, they could sting buyers into higher prices. Made me wonder what stopped the seller from creating an alternate eBay ID and jilting the buyer.

I don't think you can bid on your own item, so basically you can't bid up something you're selling. For more expensive items, however, bidders can set a Reserve Price, which is a minimum selling price. If no one bids that price, the seller reserves the right to deny the highest bid, and start the bidding all over again, or alternatively lower the Reserve.

For example, say I'm selling a computer monitor, and I set the Reserve to $200. If the highest bid is only $150, then I don't have to sell to the person who made that bid. I can start the auction again, and lower the Reserve price, if I want.

I definitely think eBay benefits the buyer in smaller purchases, like posters and CD's.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I've had very good experiences on ebay. I buy CDs, toys, and even U2 concert tickets, all at reasonable prices. The trick is to set a price limit for yourself and then don't go over that. Just make sure to leave appropriate feedback for the other party in the transaction.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"She's hyperventilating." --my podiatrist (about me) 10-24-01

eBay is awesome - you can find anything for cheaper. I love it, it's very cool filled with U2 stuff. It's so easy to use and Paypal is very good too. eBay rocks for the most part!
smile.gif

and you can find lots of nice obscure stuf. i obtained a star trek sounds cd for $ 0.99.

is it worthwhile trying to sell a cell phone on ebay?
I mean it's a canadian phone and must be connected to Bell Mobility in Canada, very high quality Samsung and brand new-though it doesn't have a warranty, and no it's not stolen it was replaced under a replacement warranty after i lost the original.
oh well, i guess i don't really have anything to lose.

------------------
always wear your safety belt

Back
Top Bottom