Easy guitar songs to play....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baker6621

War Child
Hey I'm trying to learn guitar with a computer program. Anyways, it's my girlfriend's birthday soon and I'd like to play a song for her. All I need to know is an easy song (well-known if you can) and the chords and any other tips. Remember I'm a begginer...and thank you so much.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

First song my friend learned to play when she started guitar was "Smoke on the Water"...that's probably not what you had in mind though.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

you can play people get ready for her. 3 chords: C, Am, F. then you also be ready to play with u2 if you get the chance.
desire is pretty easy too, D, A, E, for the verse and D and A for the chorus "and the fever..." if i remember correctly.
good luck.

Anything from the Bloodhound Gang. Don't know if you want to play THAT, but they usually don't use more than 2 chords.....

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

I was born a free man, I will die a free man

As far as U2 goes, I'd recommend the ones that were already mentioned plus I think the live acoustic-style version of "Stay" wouldn't be too hard, also "Angel Of Harlem" is fairly easy.

If you like Pearl Jam then "Elderly Woman..." is pretty basic.

That's a cool thing you're doing for your woman - good luck.

If she's the one baker, you can strip All I Want Is You right down, I usually hover around C and F.
aww that's sweet of you, a serenade..it worked for me
biggrin.gif

I hope the stars are shining 4 U on her b'day. Have to go with the throbbing heart smiley eh?

Ahhhhh Cass, you used the All I Want Is You serenade too? I don't know think that one will ever fail.

Afterwards, she told me: "you had me at 'you say'"......
smile.gif

"All I Want Is You" would be perfect...that was mine and drgnwolf1969's engagement song, and it is most likely going to be our wedding song.
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

All I Want Is You is the obvious choice. You can play it with 3 very easy chords, although it will be in a different key than U2 plays it, but it should be easy on your voice as well.
The verses just alternate between G & C, and the chorus is Em & C.

```````G```````````C
You say...you want....
````````````Em````````````C
All the promises we make
````````````````Em````````````C
From the cradle to the grave
`````````G`````C```````````G`````C
When All I Want Is You

[This message has been edited by Spiral_Staircase (edited 11-14-2001).]

Ok I am very new at this and it's comign up!

I guess I will play ALL I WANT IS YOU, I just need a little more help with it. I know the 4 chords, but need a little more help thanks.

Also, In god's country is good, need some help w/ that
smile.gif

Okay now, just to totally confuse you baker6621, I always thought that "All I Want Is You" was easier to play starting off with the A chord and then the next one was D and so on. But I never compared it to the actual recording to see what key it was played in.

What's that they say about too many cooks in the kitchen? lol

[This message has been edited by KJ (edited 11-14-2001).]

baker, you can play AIWIY in a number of different keys. If you play it U2girl's way, the third chord would be Bm (I think, don't have my guitar with me) and if you play it KJ's way the third chord would be F#m. In my opinion these are both harder chords for a beginner to play than Em, so that's why I suggested you play it in G. Does this make any sense? What else do you need to know?

Originally posted by KJ:
Okay now, just to totally confuse you baker6621, I always thought that "All I Want Is You" was easier to play starting off with the A chord and then the next one was D and so on. But I never compared it to the actual recording to see what key it was played in.

What's that they say about too many cooks in the kitchen? lol

The actual recording is played in the key of A-flat. Edge's guitar is tuned down 1/2 a step, so the chords he is playing are actually A, D, F#m, Asus2, Dsus2.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 11-14-2001).]

Oh yeah, Angel of Harlem is easy too. It's just 2 chords, a C and F both barred at the 8th fret.

C: 8 10 10 9 8 8
F: 8 8 10 10 10 8

To play the C chord, stick your index finger across the neck at the 8th fret, so that you're fretting all the strings. Then stick your other fingers on the other frets.

To play the F chord, keep your index finger across the 8th fret, and stick your ring finger across the 10th fret on the 3rd, 4th and 5th strings. It'll take some practice to contort your ring finger this way so it doesn't touch the 6th string, but it's not too hard.

Thanks speedracer - I will try it out soon and get back to you.

And for SPIRAL:

Just 3 chords? Yours seem easier than the others, so I will try this out too. Thanks.

```````G```````````C
You say...you want....
````````````Em````````````C
All the promises we make
````````````````Em````````````C
From the cradle to the grave
`````````G`````C```````````G`````C
When All I Want Is You

Sorry, I'm not a guitar player, so pardon me for 'chiming in ' here, but, if a guy EVER played 'All I Want Is You' for me...

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
-because I can't even put it into words!

Good luck.

LOL, from U2 songs i only know how to play the intro to All i want is you. (actually this goes all the way to "all the promises we make" part)

D and
G

(personally, i play a "blank" chord between the two of them for the easier playing. You know, just hit the strings with one hand but only holding the neck of the guitar with the other - without making a chord with the fingers)

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

Hey Baker- I would definetly go with All I want is you as a song to play. For me when I was learning how to play guitar it was the first song that I was able to both sing and play at the same time (something that I struggled with for ages), anyway I am a person who plays it with the A chord, as the recorded version is in A, I think that playing it this way would be easier for you, as it sounds more like the original if you are a beginner and it is very easy to sing along with, I usually start by playing it very softly for the first verse, then sing the chorus and then for the other verses emphasise the bottom E string when playing the A chord to give it a bit more of a bass feel, anyway try it like this....

A D
You say, you want........

F D F D
All the promises we make, from the cradle to the grave
A D A
When alllllll I want is you

Listen to the Rattle and Hum version and you should pick it up quite easily if you play it like this I think, well I did.......enjoy
smile.gif

Originally posted by speedracer:
Oh yeah, Angel of Harlem is easy too. It's just 2 chords, a C and F both barred at the 8th fret.

C: 8 10 10 9 8 8
F: 8 8 10 10 10 8

To play the C chord, stick your index finger across the neck at the 8th fret, so that you're fretting all the strings. Then stick your other fingers on the other frets.

To play the F chord, keep your index finger across the 8th fret, and stick your ring finger across the 10th fret on the 3rd, 4th and 5th strings. It'll take some practice to contort your ring finger this way so it doesn't touch the 6th string, but it's not too hard.

Not too hard!!!!!!- I have been playing for 5 years and am only now just getting the hang of bar chords
smile.gif

Originally posted by OzAurora:
Not too hard!!!!!!- I have been playing for 5 years and am only now just getting the hang of bar chords
smile.gif

Bar chords are a lot on electrics than on acoustics.
smile.gif

Also, for a 2-chord song like "Angel of Harlem" one could just stick on a capo.

Originally posted by speedracer:
Bar chords are a lot on electrics than on acoustics.
smile.gif

That's not entirely true... I find most rhythm guitarists play with bar cords.

You could always cheat and use power cords.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom