East Coast Blues & Roots Festival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
It just keeps getting better. I LOVE getting their newsletters:hyper:
They have just added Fun Lovin' Criminals and Gary Jules to an already very satisfactory list. I am pleased about the guy from Savoy Brown being there. I listened to their "Street Corner Talking" album a lot when I was a teenager.

If you want to check out who's who and what's what...
http://www.bluesfest.com.au/
:heart: :cool:

So are you going to Byron Cass??? I will be going down there for the Saturday and Sunday, I'm going to miss James Brown as I have relatives coming up for Easter to do what all other Melbounians seem to like to do- hang out in Noosa with other Victorians, so I have to stick around and have lunch with them. Anyway I plan on staying down in Byron for a couple of days extra and having a bit of a holiday, although I bet it rains heaps and as I have heard of previous years, the blues fest is usually a mud-fest. Good thing I just bought a new pair of Blundstones:)

don't be jealous fah....I don't get to go to that many things e.g. I didn't see Bowie and U2 didn't bring Elevation to Australia. I know what you mean though:hug:
Yes, being old "Mrs. Home Economist" I bought the 5 day pass...it was cheaper. i'm there for the duration, from go to woe , as my mum would say. Rain , hail or shine.
5 days of peace, love and music , sweet music.
I am sssssssssssssssssoooooooooo looking forward to it. I am in training( the new pup takes me on long walks) it will be a bit of an endurance test.
I am really looking forward to Luka Bloom and Michael Franti, but there are lots of other great artists too.
Cool Aurora, you are seeing the best of it anyway on those two nights. I am trying to think positive about the weather. Blundstones? I am packing sandals, blundstones AND gumboots, sunscreen, jumpers and raincoats. I have driven past the :mac: Park in previous years and seen people with mud nearly up to their waists. I so hope it doesn't rain.
lol@ your description of your "Mexican" relatives.( south of the border)This is the one occassion I am not thinking of how my absence effects other people. I'm off!! I will miss them though...and my dogs.
I saw a friend in town the other day and told her how excited I was about going. She launched into a rave about Uranus moving into Pisces and women branching out and being creative etc.:eyebrow: I'm just going to groove to the music.
It should be a whole buncha fun:dance:
5 days of peace, love and music:)

**grabs fah's hand and twirls her 'round the dance floor**
:)

Anyone you mention the Bluesfest too says "I hope it doesn't rain". It is famous for being rained upon and turning in to a mud bath. We have just had a weekend of incredibly heavy rain. I am hoping it is raining itself out now... that's my theory, I'm sticking to it.

Aurora, have you noticed there are still a couple of TBA spots left in the program? Shall we pray together ?**ben harper, ben harper**
I saw him yesterday on the video "In The Shadow of Motown"
:heart:
**ben harper, ben harper**

I am going to take along the Christy Moore book my son gave me and ask Luka Bloom to sign it. I still haven't been able to fully read that book. It makes me cry so. I love his references to Bono and U2.

I thought about checking Ben Harper's dates to see if he was available then...but I'll just keep on fantasising:D
U2 would be OK too:D:D
my son suggested Jack Johnson might turn up. I notice Christy Moore is performing again. I really regret not going to see him last time he played in Australia. He played at Lismore Workers too. I still kick myself over missing that one.So that would be a dream come true also, to see Christy play in Dublin.

still and all
James Brown, Jackson Brown,LUKA BLOOM,Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams,John Butler Trio, The Waifs,Bob Geldof,Taj Mahal, Solomon Burke,The Black Keys, Renee Geyer,Robben Ford, Cody Chestnutt,The Cat Empire, Harry Manx, Gary Jules + loads and loads of great bluesbands and artists
:hyper:
and good coffee
and interesting people
and breakfast for 5 mornings with my parents, I love sunrises at Lennox
bring it on:)
:hyper:

**grabs Aurora's hand and twirls her 'round the dance floor**

woops, sorry...you awake yet? It is Sunday morning after all.
Check your email. They have just listed the final set of performers...you got your wish!!!
I saw "the Others " mentioned in a thread here recently. Can't recall which one. I think people were saying they are BIG U2 fans?
The U Blues Band are from Singapore..cool.
I'm glad the "Fatherhood Project" will be there. I wanted toi buy their CD to support the organisation. There may be some surprises as to who gets up and performs for them....oh great gosh almightly:hyper: :hyper: I feel like I'm going home
:):):):)

Crikey Mikey...this is gonna be bona fide fun:hyper:

More good news"AIDS is not a disease it is a human rights issue" Nelson Mandela

DID YOU KNOW THAT EVERY 12 SECONDS, SOMEONE DIES FROM AN AIDS RELATED ILLNESS?

GIVE 1 MINUTE OF YOUR LIFE TO AIDS

The East Coast Blues & Roots Music Festival (Bluesfest), the AIDS Trust of Australia & Warner Music Australia are launching the Australian 46664 campaign at the Bluesfest over the Easter weekend in Byron Bay from Thursday April 8 ? Monday April 12, 2004.

What is 46664?

46664 was the prison number of Nelson Mandela on Robben Island, Cape Town where he was held in captivity for 18 years. Inspired by the vision and leadership of Nelson Mandela, the 46664 campaign was born to raise awareness of the global HIV/AIDS pandemic, as well as funds for South Africa with proceeds going to the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The aim is for this initiative to be the largest call to action for HIV/AIDS in history.

46664 is NOW a Global Music-led campaign which has brought together many of the most important artists of our time to support the global fight against AIDS under the banner "Give 1 minute of your life to Stop AIDS"

The East Coast Blues & Roots Music Festival operates over 5 days and nights at Red Devil Park, Byron Bay, in Northern New South Wales. It is regarded as Australia's No. 1 music festival of it's type in the Southern Hemisphere and is basically a mix of music from the heart and the soul, played by the finest musicians from every corner of the planet. It has won the readers poll by Australia's prestigious music magazine - Rhythms for 'Australia's Best Music Festival' every year but two since 1994.

Some of the International Artists performing this year include; James Brown, Jackson Browne, Femi Kuti, Solomon Burke, Burning Spear, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Michael Franti, Toots & the Maytals, Dr John, Taj Mahal, Pharoah Sanders, Richard Thompson and Mavis Staples with Australian artists including; John Butler Trio, The Cat Empire, The Waifs and Pete Murray to name but a few.

Nelson Mandela has called upon the world?s music community to come together and raise money and awareness for what he rightly calls the greatest catastrophe to ever take place in Africa, and The East Coast Blues & Roots Music Festival is proud to heed his call.

Warner Music Australia will launch the 46664 3 x CDs & DVD of the recent 46664 concert in Cape Town, South Africa exclusively at the Bluesfest, before releasing the CDs and DVD on April 23. Two dollars ($2.00) from each CD and DVD will be donated to the AIDS Trust of Australia, who have set up a special 46664 account.

Warner Music International is the official CD/DVD worldwide partner of 46664. (See separate press release for more information).

Upon checking the 46664 website and realizing that up to 25% of the population in South Africa are HIV positive and hearing of Nelson Mandela?s call for the music community of the world to become involved in fundraising and spreading awareness of this issue, Bluesfest recognized that an event such as ours, was more than capable of adding to such a worthy undertaking as Mr. Mandela?s in a way that can only benefit all involved.

Throughout the 5 days of The East Coast Blues & Roots Music Festival, all attendees will be asked every day to ?give a gold coin? to the many volunteers on-site overseen by the AIDS Trust of Australia. Footage will be shown on either side of the main stages in between band performances from the Cape Town event including messages from the likes of Nelson Mandela, Bill Clinton, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Robert De Niro, Oprah Winfrey, David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Bob Geldof, Bono and others, as well as educational footage as a way of raising awareness of what is happening in Africa today.

Byron Bay is a very special community and we are also asking all businesses, residents and visitors to become involved in the events occurring around the town prior and post Bluesfest. In conjunction with the Byron Bay Chamber of Commerce, The East Coast Blues & Roots Music Festival will be hosting a ?Byron Style? event (as opposed to a ?Black Tie?) on Wednesday April 7 at the Great Northern Hotel. An international Bluesfest artist will be performing and goods donated by the Byron Bay business community will be auctioned on the night. Entrance fees and all monies raised will go towards the cause.

Likewise, in conjunction with the Beach Hotel, the East Coast Blues & Roots Music Festival will be hosting the Bluesfest after show party on Tuesday April 13 at the Beach Hotel. Once again, an international artist will be performing and monies will be raised from donations given on the night.

By attending these events around Byron, through your entry fee or by giving a gold coin, you can contribute money? because MONEY is what is needed. Look out for other possible fundraising events around our community.

The AIDS Trust of Australia has accepted Bluesfest?s invitation to manage the fundraising aspect and guarantee that the major portion of all monies collected will be sent directly to those in Africa in need. A smaller portion of monies collected will also be used for HIV/AIDS-related projects for Central Australia?s Indigenous community, Women living with HIV/Aids and the Food Distribution project.

We need a global anti-AIDS movement. Just as the world united to beat apartheid in South Africa, the world must unite to beat AIDS. Individuals around the world must be morally engaged in a collective campaign to raise awareness, action and cash. The East Coast Blues & Roots Music Festival has accepted Mr. Mandela?s call and will show the world that a small community like Byron Bay can take on this issue, spread his message and help raise much needed funds. LET?S DO IT FOR NELSON

:yes:

I've won something!!! not sure what though.

I was out yesterday evening and my son took the call.He can't recall exactly what they said.I have to wait until business hors till I can phone and ask for details:hyper:
I've either won
#1. a free pass to the Thursday opening event( Michael Franti and Spearhead) in which case I'll invite my sister to come
along:dance:
or
#2. a festival season pass, in which case I'll try to sell it for the same amount I paid for my season ticket. That means I can go along For Free!! wooo:dance:hooooooo AND buy some CD's AND good coffee AND donate a decent amount to the 46664 project.

I have a feeling it will be option #1
either way, :cool: eh?

Luka Bloom :heart: Bob Geldof:heart: John Butler:heart:
so many good :heart:

win some , lose some, the lord giveth and the lord taketh away, so be it, **it happens, expect nothing and you won't be disappointed etc and so on and so forth :)
it WAS option #1...I'm grateful( although the season ticket was a double and worth over $500, that would have been handy)
I have to wait until tonight to find out if my sister wants to come along with me. I'll find someone to give it to.
BUT , the bad news
I was just studying the program and beginning to plan my whereabouts for each day. Taj Mahal, Michael Franti, Cat Empire, Solomon Burke, Steve Earle, JBT, The Black Keys, Cody Chestnutt etc. etc....it was all fitting together nicely
I looked and I looked
and I looked:eek:
no Luka Bloom :(
I just rang the ticket office. He has cancelled, they because think he is having surgery or some such :(
Get Well Soon Luka ( I hope it's not tendons in his hand/arm) He was the main reason I had the mad idea to go to the Bluesfest in the first place. It is disappointing news
but
the show must go on
It will be cool to see Bono/46664 on the big screen
:heart: :bono: :heart:
**continues to pray for good weather**

something cool also happened yesterday.
Byron Shire, the local government area where the Bluesfest is held, had their council elections on the weekend.
The locals voted in their first female mayor EVER
and she is the first member of the GREEN PARTY to be voted in EVER in Australia
GO Girl:up:
If any place needs a bit of environmental commonsense brought to bear on development, it is Byron.
And a bit of female nous
:D

:cool: Tyler, it's a good line-up eh?

She wants to come:applaud: my sister rarely goes out,but when she does.....LOOK OUT!!! :dance:
She actually bought the Savoy Brown record that we used to groove to all those years ago. ( and I ended up with it...shhhhhh) so it seems appropriate we will be seeing Kim Simmonds together.
"....tell butcher knife toting Annie
tell fast talking Fannie
tell everybody you meet
we're gonna whip dang wang dang doodle
all night long..." :lmao:
^ Savoy Brown song

what the..??!!!
were Luka Bloom and Bob Geldof paddling out in the same canoe?
I obviously didn't "study" hard enough yesterday. Bob Geldof isn't on the program either:(

ahhwell, it's all still groovy

by jimimies
I think I had better take my guitar along.
I just got the email about Lucinda Williams. Her mother died and she's cancelled her tour. RIP Lucille

PS: I promise I won't take my guitar along, there are still plenty of good musicians going to be there
but not
Luka Bloom:sad: :sad: :sad:

Back
Top Bottom