Earthquake in Los Angeles!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
I hope all our friends around the area are safe and sound!!!

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A magnitude-5.4 earthquake has struck just east of Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Los Angeles was hit by a 5.8 magnitude earthquake Tuesday.

1 of 2 Officials say there are no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The epicenter was 3 miles west-southwest of Chino Hills and 28 miles east-southeast of the Los Angeles Civic Center, which is in downtown Los Angeles, the USGS reports.

The epicenter was about 8.5 miles deep. In general, earthquakes closer to the surface produce stronger shaking and can cause more damage than those farther underground.

It was felt from Los Angeles to San Diego and across the border in Tijuana, Mexico.

The quake struck at 11:42 a.m. (2:42 p.m. ET), according to the USGS. Kate Hutton, a staff seismologist at Caltech, said 11 aftershocks followed, with 3.8 being the largest and the only one felt, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The quake's magnitude classification fluctuated as seismologists reviewed the data. Initially classified as a magnitude 5.8, the quake's intensity was reduced to a 5.6 and then to a 5.4.

Because the earthquake magnitude scale is exponential, a 5.8 magnitude quake is four to five times more intense than a 5.4.

A 5.4 magnitude quake is considered by the USGS to be "moderate," which can cause slight damage to buildings and others structures. About 500 can happen globally each year, the survey says.

There were no immediate reports of injury or damage in Los Angeles, Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey told The Associated Press. San Bernardino County fire dispatch did not have reports of damage, AP said.

According to the USGS archives, it's the biggest California earthquake since September 28, 2004, when a 6.0 quake was recorded south of Parkfield, which is about 70 miles northwest of Bakersfield.

Don't Miss
iReport.com: Did you feel the quake?
Honore: Task of Americans to be ready for disaster
LA Times: Wide swath shaken
KABC: Road, runway damage reported
"It's too early to tell if there's any major damage but all units are checking overpasses, bridges and tall buildings," Anaheim Police Sgt. Ken Seymour told The Los Angeles Times.

Chino Hills college instructor Jesse Diaz said classes have been canceled at Mount San Antonio Community College, about a mile from the epicenter.

"We're right on top of it [the quake]," he said. "It was the worst earthquake I've felt since '86. You could just feel the ground shaking back and forth. I looked outside and the patio was just twisting."

Tiles fell from the ceiling at a United Airlines gate as water flowed from a burst pipe seconds after the quake, said Michael Cary, a CNN senior producer who was at Los Angeles International Airport.

CNN's Ed Lavandera was at Disneyland in Anaheim, southeast of Los Angeles, with his family and felt the tremor. He said the shaking lasted about 5 seconds. Watch a reporter describe the shaking at Disneyland »

CNN affiliate KABC is reporting that Disneyland's rides have been evacuated.

Lavandera was standing in line for a ride when he saw the ride's top "shaking back and forth."

You could hear the metal kind of clanging around, and the ride was just ending, so for a moment ... I thought maybe something was wrong with the ride. Then I realized the ride had already stopped moving and the ground was still moving," he said. Did you feel the quake?

iReporter Danny Casler, 28, of Huntington Beach, California, was awakened by the earthquake. "My house was like a fun house," he said. "Everything in the house was shifting back and forth."

A more serious quake is expected within the next 30 years, according a study sponsored by the USGS and published in April in Science Daily. The USGS said there was a 99 percent chance of California having a magnitude 6.7 or larger within the next 30 years.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has offered state help to Los Angeles, Los Angeles County and Chino Hills.

"Our state Office of Emergency Services has reached out to local governments in the affected area to ensure that levees, bridges and other critical infrastructure are inspected and declared safe," he said in a statement. "We are activating our regional and state emergency operations centers and will continue monitoring the situation closely."

Well I guess it felt kind of awful when you are in a building and you have VERY large windows all around you, but our building is built for eaarthquakes so after the quake we were still rolling for about 10 more seconds :) *our building is on rollers*

I was laying on my bed watching TV here in San Diego and felt it! Felt like someone was moving my bed. No wonder my dog has been acting so strange, almost spooked.

We're about 5 miles from the epicenter and this was probably the scariest quake I've ever felt. We had no major damage but tons of stuff fell off of shelves and broke, the pictures that didn't fall off the walls are crooked and a bunch of stuff fell and broke in the backyard.

Rick's office took the worst hit. Almost everything fell, a lot of it broke but the funniest thing was the lamp hanging upside down from the bookshelf!

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

My computer fell off my desk but luckily landed on my shredder or it would have taken my monitor and speakers down with it :yikes:

IMG_3938.jpg

I was standing next to my dresser when the shaking started and drawers started flying open and perfume bottles came at me :(

IMG_3940.jpg

Some pictures fell from my bookshelf, the magazines and my Bose docking station moved a few inches but I'm happy to report that BONO IS OKAY!!! Everyone can breath a sigh of relief now...I know I am :wink:

IMG_3951.jpg

That's a great report, BAW. I was cracking up at how serious and fast talking the TV reporters were, fighting to broadcast the biggest news! :lol:

ETA: I am sooo glad to hear that Bono is alright!

Some pictures fell from my bookshelf, the magazines and my Bose docking station moved a few inches but I'm happy to report that BONO IS OKAY!!! Everyone can breath a sigh of relief now...I know I am :wink:

IMG_3951.jpg
[/QUOTE]

lol!

wow... i'd be scared shitless. glad y'all are okay :)

It was different from other earthquakes because it lasted for so long. The building just rolled along for a good while. We have some out-of-state people visiting at work so this was their first earthquake.

I don't know how my house or dog is yet because I'm at work. My brother said it wasn't too bad out home way so I'm sure everything is fine. My dog probably slept through the whole thing.

Just rolled along here. No damage. Was listening to Jim Rome on the radio doing an interview when he had to interrupt the guy saying that we're having an earthquake. He was apparently on the 16th floor. Lasted a good bit - 15+ seconds.

Nice pics BAW :flirt: Perhaps that will be used in the next I Spy! thread :giggle:

I was on the phone with a client from Texas and the shaking started, I interrupted the client and told her "I think we are having an earthquake" she said WHAT? I said "we ARE having an earthquake, oh, no hold on! and I meant to put her on hold but clicked the hang up button instead!...
LOL!! she must have thought the worst since the ended immediately :lol:

*Oh wait "The Governator" is addressing the Californians :rolleyes:

cool pics BAW... sorry u gotz urself a mess there.. that's funny about the lamp..and the most important thing is THAT BONO IS OK THANK GOD.. PHEW! (used and abused joke i know.. but hey wat the hell it was fun..:D )

cool pics BAW... sorry u gotz urself a mess there.. that's funny about the lamp..and the most important thing is THAT BONO IS OK THANK GOD.. PHEW! (used and abused joke i know.. but hey wat the hell it was fun..:D )

You are right, it is used and abused but you can't really help it when you see that BAW's Bono didnt fall off the wall.
So I guess the joke will work from time to time ;)

Back
Top Bottom