Earplugs for concerts? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Earplugs for concerts?

I'm going to a punk rock kind of concert in a few days and I know that it will be ridiculously loud, probably much more so than a U2 concert. My ears rang until the Wednesday after the Philly 1 concert and I do not want the same thing to happen this time. The bands I'm seeing are good, but not worth losing my hearing. Is there anything that I can put in my ears for the concert that won't look too dorky but will protect them and are cheap and easy to get? I need to know like now lol. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Earplugs for concerts?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl91289
I'm going to a punk rock kind of concert in a few days and I know that it will be ridiculously loud, probably much more so than a U2 concert. My ears rang until the Wednesday after the Philly 1 concert and I do not want the same thing to happen this time. The bands I'm seeing are good, but not worth losing my hearing. Is there anything that I can put in my ears for the concert that won't look too dorky but will protect them and are cheap and easy to get? I need to know like now lol. Thanks!
You can get simple, cheap earplugs at most drugstores. Not sure about the dorky part though....

And a cute (or scary, depending on how you look at it) earplug story.... A girl I know from Mexico came to Atlanta to see a concert and while waiting for the show to begin struck up a conversation with a couple of guys. One of them gave her earplugs when she mentioned she didn't have any. That girl and the guy who gave her the earplugs are now getting married.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Never go to a concert without ear plugs, hearing is cool.

Like Indra said, just go to a drug store, or grocery store. Should be in the aisle with ear cleaning stuff. I suggest the cylinder foamy kind, not the wax ones. If you start to sweat the wax ones can be problematic, the foam ones stay put.
They should only be a few bucks for a pack, or buy the big box with like 20 pairs for a few more dollars to keep on hand in the future.

I become a bit parental about peoples hearing.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 11:03 AM
i play the drums so i always use earplugs

i reccomend going to a walgreens and buying the foam kind(reusable) they are not that noticable and you can hear great with them on
Old 07-11-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 09:03 AM
WHAT?
Old 07-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready

i reccomend going to a walgreens and buying the foam kind(reusable) they are not that noticable and you can hear great with them on
I agree with using the simple foam kind. They're generally extremely cheap (you can buy them bulk at most any sporting good store in the guns section if you cant find them any of the other places people have mentioned), and they usually work quite well. I have just recently started using them, and I've really been happy with them. Saves your ears, and also allows you to hear a lot of the stuff that would have been overpowered before. I think they're worth the money and time.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:03 AM
I carry earplugs in my purse just for the purpose of going to concerts. On the occasions where I haven't had them with me, I stuff a bunch of toilet paper into my ears. It hurts my ears to go to concerts without them. And all the ideas in this thread of where to get them are spot on. Mine are also the foam kind. I have long hair, so I doubt most people can even tell I use them. And who cares if they could? I'm looking forward to being able to hear concerts for a long time to come.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

earplugs

whether or not they are dorky, they are a must have to go to a show with. i bought a pair of rubber ones at guitar center back when i played in a band in college and they've served me well. anything will due and your ears will thank you for it.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

You thought Philly 1 was loud??
Old 07-11-2005, 03:01 PM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
You thought Philly 1 was loud??
I had never been to a concert before, and I have really good, sensitive hearing anyway. It's ridiculous. I listen to my ancient walkman on volume 1 and I think it's too loud. But thanks for the help everyone. Now I feel stupid for not wearing earplugs.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl91289

Now I feel stupid for not wearing earplugs.
Don't. Feel smart for figuring out you need them before you start losing your hearing.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:03 AM
But can you still hear the music okay?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:59 PM   #13
Val
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Too funny!
Quote:
Originally posted by Eliv8
WHAT?
When I saw u2 at MSG in 2001, I couldn't hear anything for almost ten minutes. I mean nothing. It was kind of scary. I swear I have hearing damage from that concert. I do believe it where you sit has something to do with it
Now, I can't hear a lot of what people say.
Use protection!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:34 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
But can you still hear the music okay?
if you mean in general while wearing plugs, yes you can hear the music fine. it might take a little bit getting used to but in some cases you can actually hear the music better. i recall i once saw our lady peace in a bar in rochester and i took my earplugs out to adjust them halfway through the show - there were so many dbs pumping out of that sound system that i practically couldn't discern between anything i was hearing without my earplugs. i don't know how those people made it out without bloody ear drums.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
i recall i once saw our lady peace in a bar in rochester
really???

i had no idea that people outside of canada had even HEARD of our lady peace.

interesting.