Earplugs for concerts? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

really???

i had no idea that people outside of canada had even HEARD of our lady peace.

interesting.
it's true. definitely not a huge following or anything but they are moderately known here in the states. i like them but gravity was only so-so.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

in some cases you can actually hear the music better
I too have experienced this.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:46 PM
You'd possibly be surprised of how much of the music you can feel, either through your feet or just around you as well. I dont think ear plugs are supposed to diminish the sound in any great capapcity, but they mute or dull the excess and reverberation which is what you want.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:02 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 12:46 AM
I use these:
http://www.hearos.com/products-00309.htm
Old 07-12-2005, 02:50 AM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 08:46 AM
After working in the music industry for a couple of years my hearing has suffered from it. I now use earplugs (the professional, custom made ones) all the time, because I still want to be able to hear something when I'm 50. I don't care about the coolness or non-coolness of them. My hearing is more important than that.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:57 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 01:46 AM
For my u2 show i got earplugs at walgreens for a couple bucks, and since my hair was just long enough to cover my ears, i didn't have to worry about the dorkiness!
Old 07-13-2005, 03:24 AM   #22

Local Time: 07:46 AM
What are the loudest shows you guys have ever been to?

I was really taken aback by my first show because first of all, it was a singer songwriter type and I hadnt expected it to be very loud. Now that show still wasnt very loud, but it alerted me to the difference in how a live rock show works, and why live mp3s often sound shit. The live experience is about the reverberation-- and often in a bad live recording that is about all you hear. But hearing it isnt the point. The way music is produced now, you just dont feel a rhythm, but you FEEL it live, literally. All music, if it has a bass, becomes primal and pulses through you. Thats why even mediocre music can be a powerful experience. That was the first time I really realized what rock n roll was about and why it had caught on in the first place. It wasnt about hooks or tunes, not at all. I can't take it too often. I'm more of a subtle person when it comes to appreciating music, I guess I like the sort of pretend classical music that rock n' roll has evolved into, an album art, a production art, something to listen to many times and absorb the finest details even from the loudest songs. You get banged over the head live. It's fucking awesome, but it could never been an every day or every week thing for me. So I dont go to many concerts, but I should probably start with the earplugs.

Anyway, the most recent earsplitting band I saw was the 22-20s, with Graham Coxon. He was fucking loud too. This is probably nothing in the grand scheme of things cause there have to be punk and metal and noise bands that intentionally go so loud they literally make the ears bleed, but I was pretty stunned/dazed/temporarily deaf when I walked out of there.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:04 AM   #23
War Child

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Motorhead. By far!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:45 AM   #24

Local Time: 07:46 AM
You guys should see the 22-20s if you get a chance. It's kinda standard blues rocky derivative stuff so I'm not sure how well it would work on disc-- havent even heard the albums. But they are incredible live.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:10 AM   #25
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 03:46 AM
I swear, every time I go to a concert, I forget to bring them. Always. And being an extremely light sleeper, I have them around at home. I just always forget to bring them and since I've been to soooo many shows, I'll probably be deaf by them time I'm 40. I need to remember these damned things.