Earplugs at concerts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
I went to a concert yesterday and tried earplugs for the first time. I was amazed at how much better my ears actually felt afterwards, and the sound quality during the concert wasn't diminished that much. My ears weren't ringing afterwards at all.

I had never tried earplugs before. The only reason I tried them at the concert was because my friend brought her 8 year old son who had never been to a concert before. They had brought along a box of the disposable earplugs for him to use, and the three of us ended up using them.

I was just wondering how many of you wear earplugs at concerts and what you thought of them.

Most likely I will wear them again.

:up:

I cant use earplugs at all because im deaf in one my ears and it really diminshes the sound of the concert for me, but i dont get any ringing after concert tho.:wink:

I use them all the time. I have some custom made earplugs I've had since I was in my late teens/early twenties. They're like the old-style hearing aid earpieces, but without the holes for the sound to get through. When I stopped going to several dozen concets a year, I kind of slacked off wearing them, but I've started to use them again, and they work great. I like the little disposable ones, too. When I was at SLC last November, the arena gave them out if you wanted them. Cool! :up:

When I first started going to concerts, I brought them because I thought they were necessary -- I am one of those freaks who is startled/irritated/scared /all of the above by really loud sounds. But I gave up using them because I got so used to the noise after about the first 10 minutes of the concert.

Oh yeah, and I lost my pair after the 5th concert. :rolleyes: That was a factor in it, too. :p

elevatedmole said:
I am one of those freaks who is startled/irritated/scared /all of the above by really loud sounds.

I'm the same way with loud noises. I never wear earplugs at concerts, though. Which means I'll probably be deaf in a few years!

I wear them at almost every show I attend. I wore them to the U2 show in St. Louis, probably the loudest show I've been to. I took them out during a break between songs for a few seconds, and the crowd noise alone hurt my ears. I've especially been converted since I found that driving home from shows is a lot more pleasant when your head isn't throbbing, esp. since I usually have to drive 2-3 hrs to shows.

hmm...i should buy a pair. although, i average about one concert a year, though. i'd decorate mine, though. i've seen famous people have theirs all decorated with rhinestones, and i found out they did it themselves.

I sleep with earplugs in, and I spent a LOT of time looking for ones that a.) felt comfortable enough for me to sleep in! and b.) actually worked. The ones that seem to work out best are called "Quiet! Please." They're white and squishy, and you roll them up into a tupelike shape and stick them in your ears, and once they're inside, they expand to fit in there perfectly. They're real nice.

I'll probably wear earplugs next time I go to a concert, especially if I am up close. A lot of artists wear them now, because they're finally becoming aware of the damage they could be causing to their hearing.

Nice topic, Abel!

Dot.

PaleBlueDot said:
The ones that seem to work out best are called "Quiet! Please." They're white and squishy, and you roll them up into a tupelike shape and stick them in your ears, and once they're inside, they expand to fit in there perfectly. They're real nice.

That's the brand of earplugs that my friend brought to the concert. Once they were in, they were quite comfortable.

I used them once before..I think it was in Columbus? The columbus U2 concert I went to yup. I put them in when PJ came on I remember. But I didn't wear them when I went to baltimore..which in my opinion was soo loud..it messed with the guitar sound! it was almost to the point of being bad it was so loud. I kinda like the ringing in my ears after I concert! It's like a souviner of how much fun I had! :)

KhanadaRhodes said:
i'd decorate mine, though. i've seen famous people have theirs all decorated with rhinestones, and i found out they did it themselves.

:idea: perhaps you should go into the earplug decorating business! :eeklaugh:

Sell to all the celebrities...who knows! you could make millions!

Hmmm....maybe I should keep this idea for myself! :lol:

? ABEL hehe ;) :D

I bring them to every show...and determine at the show if I need them (Almost always I use them now.) In my younger days I never used them, and on a few occasions deeply regretted it the next day (And a couple of times longer than a day).
I bought a box of 200 pair of disposable plugs at a construction supply store for about 28 bucks, which is much cheaper than 2 bucks a pair at the venue.
I'm going to OZZfest tomorrow...that's a no-brainer...earplugs for sure.

I usually don't but I need to start now that my dad has been diagnosed with tenitis in his ears. blech. I don't really like the foam ones but I found some near my apartment that are those hunting/water ones I guess. They look like mini plastic christmas trees. hmm....that's not a really good explanation but that's what they look like.

AdamsMango said:
I used them once before..I think it was in Columbus? The columbus U2 concert I went to yup. I put them in when PJ came on I remember. But I didn't wear them when I went to baltimore..which in my opinion was soo loud..it messed with the guitar sound! it was almost to the point of being bad it was so loud. I kinda like the ringing in my ears after I concert! It's like a souviner of how much fun I had! :)

COLUMBUS!!! Whoohoo! I was there too! :) I was WAY up high on the suite level. I was in one of the most expensive seats in the house and wanted soooo badly to be in the cheapest seats -- inside the heart. :sad: :( :sad: :( :sad:

Amen about PJ. Man, I wish I would have had earplugs, too. That was awful!

And hey -- Wouldn't it have been awesome to be the person on the other end of that cell phone?!

Dot.

Last edited:
I've never worn them. Probably should have. At Boston 4 I was SCREAMING my drink order to the vendor and he was like :eyebrow: then I couldn't hear the price so I just threw some money at him.

PaleBlueDot said:

COLUMBUS!!! Whoohoo! I was there too! :) I was WAY up high on the suite level. I was in one of the most expensive seats in the house and wanted soooo badly to be in the cheapest seats -- inside the heart. :sad: :( :sad: :( :sad:

Amen about PJ. Man, I wish I would have had earplugs, too. That was awful!

And hey -- Wouldn't it have been awesome to be the person on the other end of that cell phone?!

Dot.

cool! I was on the floor. I was in the first row out side the heart just the the right of the tip. want me to PM you the link to some pics I took at that concert?

I don't normally wear earplugs, and my friend actually asked me if I wanted to wear them during the recent Doves/Elbow concert. I was so proud to tell her I didn't need them :tsk:, but recently, I've felt this ringing (literally!) in my left ear. I've tried to avoid using my discman/earphones which I usually have on when in the metro or bus...basically everywhere.

I generally always wear earplugs at concerts. But at two of the three elevation shows I was so excited that I forgot to put them in until halfway through the show. I was clinging to them in my sweaty palm and didn't even notice. Is that pathetic or what?! Maybe for a newbie concert goer, but I'm an old-timer--I didn't know I could still get that excited!

Back
Top Bottom