DVD player life expectancy- 6 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
My second DVD player in a year just passed away. My kids were watching a movie and it froze up and now it claims there is 'no disk' no matter what movie we put in. The same thing happened to our other one last fall. I am afraid to even buy another one and have it break too. Are these fuckers made with a built in time bomb that makes them self destruct so you'll have to keep up the economy by buying another one? Does anyone know what could be causing this? I am frustrated! :scream:

What brands have you been buying? If you're buying an "off-brand," then it will suck.

Buy a Sony. I would be surprised if one of those died on you.

Melon

I have 2 Toshibas - never had any trouble with them. My brother has one of the very first generation JVCs and it does tend to overheat on occasion.

I had one and my two year old stuck sugar cookies in it and that was the end of that. Now we have a Panosonic from Costco. So far so good. It plays videos and DVD's.

I have a Panasonic that also plays VCD's and CD/CD-R's...well it used to play CD's. I barely used it for either DVD's or CD's but now it only plays DVD's. It's about 3 years old but doesn't get much use because I have a DVD player in my computer. But I'm still really pissed that it won't play CD's anymore. It's hooked up to my stereo and I have a small portable CD player but nothing else I can hook up to the stereo so it sucks now that I dont' have anything to use when I want to listen to stuff other than my little portable thing. :mad:

My parents bought a cheap combo VCR/DVD player that gets used a lot more than mine does and they haven't had any problems at all.

arw9797 said:

My parents bought a cheap combo VCR/DVD player that gets used a lot more than mine does and they haven't had any problems at all.

Since both my VCRs are also broke :scream: I am going to get one of those. There's an Emerson on sale for $79, I can't really afford it now but we can't do without any around here people will go nuts. The Sony was $147 I can't afford it sorry Melon. I can't afford either of them but gotta go with the cheaper one. I'm afraid no matter what I buy it will break. :sigh:

I would get a read error in my PS2 when viewing (trying to) DVD's after 2 years of owning it.. So I did some research on the net and found out you can just take it apart and adjust the lens and it will read DVDS again.

I wonder if the same do it yourself fix it method applies to regular DVD plays that give people read errors?

U2Kitten said:
Since both my VCRs are also broke :scream: I am going to get one of those. There's an Emerson on sale for $79, I can't really afford it now but we can't do without any around here people will go nuts. The Sony was $147 I can't afford it sorry Melon. I can't afford either of them but gotta go with the cheaper one. I'm afraid no matter what I buy it will break. :sigh:

If you're willing to buy from Amazon.com, you can get a Sony here for $75.00.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...87873-9615018?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I'll be honest: I don't have a good opinion of Emerson products. My parents bought them, and I'll say this: you get what you pay for.

Melon

I hate buying by mail, the postage and handling run up the bill. I also don't trust them not to have been knocked around. This latest one I had came by UPS, it was a free gift for buying a cell phone!

Fu, I think you're right, I do have incredibly bad luck and no matter what I buy is going to break :| and I'm serious :sigh:

Ooh dear my post multiplied here like u2girl1978's did on PLEBA! :yikes: there was something wrong with the site this morning, real slow, then it wouldn't let you post or register your post if you did see it! They don't show in the post count on the thread and they didn't bump it! We didn't know it so we just kept trying to post! Now we have ghost posts in some threads (see also the 'help' thread in PLEBA)

Just wanted to let everyone know what happened!

melon said:
Buy a Sony. I would be surprised if one of those died on you.

Melon

No, buy anything but a Sony. They die quickly. Although I don't know with DVD players, I had a Sony CD player twice and both broke down quite soon. That was the last time I ever bought something by Sony. It's not worth it. :down:

*has a Philips now and no problems whatsoever*

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

No, buy anything but a Sony. They die quickly. Although I don't know with DVD players, I had a Sony CD player twice and both broke down quite soon. That was the last time I ever bought something by Sony. It's not worth it. :down:

C ya!

Marty

I like Philips too. They just tend to be harder to find in the U.S.

I do love my Philips computer monitor, though.

Melon

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I used Sony discmans (discmen?) in the past and went through them like toilet paper.

Philips :up:

I bought a Philips discman in 1998. Now, my sister uses that one without any complaints.
:)

Popmartijn said:

C ya!

Marty

wondering if some of us are "branded for life"

sony has gone down hill

my sony cd players cost more
and performed poorly, too.

my combo govideo dvd/vcr is holding up well

a little off subject but i found this really funny..

back in 1992 my grandma got me a discman for 110 dollars..

now you can buy discman's for 12 dollars at target.

Tell them they're not getting more than one every 3 years so they need to take better care of their things. :shrug: That's how my mom was. Our only TV was broken (the power button stuck so sometimes it wouldn't turn on, and it only got 3 channels anyway) for probably 3 years and my mom just said, too bad you kids were too rough with it so you guys can buy a new one since you broke it. Our VCR used to break a lot b/c my sis watched so many movies and my parents couldn't have cared less. Luckily, I could usually take it apart, figure out what was wrong, and fix it or rig up some workable solution. My sis broke the VCR again and keeps bugging me to fix it for her.

I can't say this about the game system, but the 2 DVD players that sat on the TV were not abused. They just sat there, never fell, never moved, no cookies in the hole. They just plain died :sigh:

David, what do you mean 'read error?' That's what mine is doing, claiming there is no disk!

david said:
I would get a read error in my PS2 when viewing (trying to) DVD's after 2 years of owning it.. So I did some research on the net and found out you can just take it apart and adjust the lens and it will read DVDS again.

I wonder if the same do it yourself fix it method applies to regular DVD plays that give people read errors?

I used to have a beta vcr you had to open up and adjust the bands on and it would work again. The first thing I did to the DVD player was move it around and blow in it, thinking it would change the laser thingy or whatever. But I can't get it open :(

I've never had a DVD player so I don't know, but can you manually open it (poke a straight paper clip in the hole and pry it open) like you can w/ computer drives?

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I've never had a DVD player so I don't know, but can you manually open it (poke a straight paper clip in the hole and pry it open) like you can w/ computer drives?

I can get the drawer to open but I can't get inside to where the 'guts' are, I don't even see any screws :huh: it must have been welded or sealed or something.

Back
Top Bottom