Duran Duran's Red Carpet Massacre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oktobergirl

Refugee
So, it's gotten some very interesting reviews. This is the album that was produced by Timbaland, and Justin Timberlake collaborated on. It's definitely not "Vintage Duran", but more of an venture into electro.

I don't hate it but it's not what i was expecting or really wanting from them either. Roger's drums are barely audible (it's all electronic drums I think) and John is not present on many of the tracks. Bummer. In Simon's defense, his voice is in top shape. Even if a few of the lyrics are really lame (namely Box Full o Honey and Skin Divers-EW)...

I bought it Tuesday, and upon only one listen so far, I think it's interesting. There were a couple of tracks that struck me, and I think the whole album might grow on me.

I think overall, I liked it. It just needs a few more listens so I can pin down which tracks I really like.

Last night out of the blue I amazoned Duran Duran and only then found out about this new album. It's getting very mixed reviews (but what doesn't these days!) I think because of the association with Timberlake & Timbaland. I don't know. I never bothered with any of their albums anyway, just have a handful of songs from the 90s plus their Decade hits cd. I've been meaning to look into Medazzaland and Pop Trash though. Aren't those like their misunderstood arty albums, kinda like U2's Pop? :drool:

Zootlesque said:
I've been meaning to look into Medazzaland and Pop Trash though. Aren't those like their misunderstood arty albums, kinda like U2's Pop? :drool:
YES.

i tend to refer to pop trash as arcadia part 2, but i definitely think medazzaland is a lot like pop in terms of fans of each album saying it's something you either "get" or you don't. plus both albums came out in the same year. :lol:

i love both albums though and would put one of them in my top five. which one though depends on my mood.

EDIT: if you really want a treat, i recommend big thing. that is seriously one of my favourite duran duran albums. :drool:

KhanadaRhodes said:
EDIT: if you really want a treat, i recommend big thing. that is seriously one of my favourite duran duran albums. :drool:

Are you serious? allmusic.com gave it only 1.5 stars out of 5. :lol:

I'm very tempted to get Medazzaland. If nothing else, just for that name. :love: :shifty:

Zootlesque said:
Are you serious? allmusic.com gave it only 1.5 stars out of 5. :lol:

I'm very tempted to get Medazzaland. If nothing else, just for that name. :love: :shifty:
i never trust music reviews. it could be the person who reviewed it doesn't like that particular genre or something. at least with movie reviews you can go to rotten tomatoes and see a collection of them all and see the average. if something has great or terrible reviews, then you know it wasn't just that one person.

plus i look at it like, listen or watch for yourself and judge and see if you like it. :shrug:

i think the one duran duran album everyone's in agreement with is liberty. it got terrible reviews, sold poorly, and most fans rate it pretty low too. some fans rate it high, but i swear it's just because it's so unpopular. they either do it to seem indie and cool ("ooh look at me, i like something unpopular!") or they just gravititate towards the unpopular opinion.

Yeah, that one's pretty awful. I only have it because I'm a completist. :wink:

I don't love Medazzaland or Pop Trash, but I think they're interesting.

I love Notorious, there's some good stuff on there. And I just listened to Arcadia the other day - I forgot how good some of those songs are. "The Promise" is really great. :love:

yeah, i like about two songs on liberty and that's it. :yuck:

yeah, notorious is great. so is arcadia. i think i'm in the minority in liking arcadia more than power station, although i can't deny that's a good album too.

I've never heard Power Station, other than the two singles. I should get around to picking up a copy.

there's a remaster of it, but it's not worth getting unless it's not that much more than the regular version. all it's got is an extra song and then a ton of crappy remixes.

plus, soundwise, it's one of those "let's turn up the volume and call it remastered" kind of albums.

I love Medazzaland, just got Pop Trash this year, and there are some good songs on there as well.

As for Massacre, I quite like it, with the Timbaland tracks being my least favorite, but they're not horrible. Its a change from Astronaut, but when has DD put out two similar sounding albums right in row?
The Valley, title track, and Zoom In are probably my top three right now.

Speaking of Medezzaland being similar to U2's Pop, 1997/98 were quite interesting for me as a music fan as my three favorite bands U2, REM, and Duran Duran, put out Pop, Up, and Medazzaland. All three were such vast departures from their previous work, but I've since grown to love all three albums.

U2inUtah said:
Speaking of Medezzaland being similar to U2's Pop, 1997/98 were quite interesting for me as a music fan as my three favorite bands U2, REM, and Duran Duran, put out Pop, Up, and Medazzaland. All three were such vast departures from their previous work, but I've since grown to love all three albums.

Plus DM had Ultra. :drool:

U2inUtah said:
exactly. 1997 was quite a year for music i think. i don't own up, but as for medazzaland, pop, and ultra, like you said those were all dramatic departures for each band musically. when i listen to them, i get nostalgic because it reminds me how different the music scene was 10 years ago. a lot of bands are putting out great records today, but i don't know. sure the 80s were fantastic, but something about the mid-90s sort of forced all these bands that had been popular then to change their sound in order to remain relevant. imo they all produced masterpieces.

it makes me wonder when the next big year in music will be :hmm:

KhanadaRhodes said:

YES.

i tend to refer to pop trash as arcadia part 2, but i definitely think medazzaland is a lot like pop in terms of fans of each album saying it's something you either "get" or you don't. plus both albums came out in the same year. :lol:

i love both albums though and would put one of them in my top five. which one though depends on my mood.

ALL

SHE

WANTS

IS

:drool:

Very underrated, for sure! :up: It was such a departure for them. I remember the video also being pretty progressive...words flying out of Simon's mouth or something. Medazzaland and Pop Trash are similarly great...a lot of people forget about those. I still have mine on cassette...they were regulars in my walkman. :D

I knew it was on the horizon, but I had no idea the new album was already out. :der:

I'm an old schooler, I love the 1st duran duran album and 7 and the Ragged Tiger. I also liked Astronaut. I really didn't care for Pop Trash or Liberty or Meddazashit. :p

I'll be watching the AMA's tonight. let's see if Simon can lip sync well
:|

angelordevil said:
Very underrated, for sure! :up: It was such a departure for them. I remember the video also being pretty progressive...words flying out of Simon's mouth or something.
aaaaaaaaactually, arcadia had made a pretty similar video four years prior, for their song "missing" :wink:

i rescind my comments about their new album btw. the more i listen to it, it's not THAT bad. some of the tracks aren't good, but some are good. it doesn't sound like duran duran at all; i wonder if it'll sell well.

A classic mostly!

Every song is a hit except for the intstrumental "Tricked Out."

"A Box Full O' Honey" is my favorite. My only problem is, where's

the rythem section? To quote what Yasmin Le Bon once asked

her husband when he played her a non John Taylor

album,"where's the fucking bass?" That and where is poor Roger?

I listened to it in it's entirety on sat. It was ok. Not good enough to buy. I liked Falling Down the most. But I don't own any of their albums so maybe i'm not the best source

Back
Top Bottom