Duran Duran's Red Carpet Massacre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love "My Antarctica" off Liberty. I think it's gorgeous. And that's the last CD I've bought of theirs.

I didn't like Big Thing at all.

I AM extremely disappointed that I missed them on Broadway...I found out about the shows after they'd sold out! I would have liked to be there, in a relatively small theater, reliving my memory years.

KhanadaRhodes said:

aaaaaaaaactually, arcadia had made a pretty similar video four years prior, for their song "missing" :wink:

i rescind my comments about their new album btw. the more i listen to it, it's not THAT bad. some of the tracks aren't good, but some are good. it doesn't sound like duran duran at all; i wonder if it'll sell well.

You're right! You're always right. :angry: (he said after watching it for the very first time on youtube). Great video. I loved Arcadia...my babysitter bought So Red the Rose for me when I was a kid. I'm surprised she stayed on after that, with all the lip syncing I did to Election Day.

Still don't have the album, but maybe I'll get it this weekend. From the tracks I listened to last night, my immediate impression is that they're trying too hard to be relevant. The thing that's always made their best stuff great is how it's out of step with current trends, or even ahead of them.

They're still great live, however... here in Canada they aired a concert from the last tour on TV last week that really impressed me...I had it cranked through the stereo. :drool:

angelordevil said:
You're right! You're always right. :angry: (he said after watching it for the very first time on youtube). Great video. I loved Arcadia...my babysitter bought So Red the Rose for me when I was a kid. I'm surprised she stayed on after that, with all the lip syncing I did to Election Day.

Still don't have the album, but maybe I'll get it this weekend. From the tracks I listened to last night, my immediate impression is that they're trying too hard to be relevant. The thing that's always made their best stuff great is how it's out of step with current trends, or even ahead of them.

They're still great live, however... here in Canada they aired a concert from the last tour on TV last week that really impressed me...I had it cranked through the stereo. :drool:
sorry, i've been a fan of theirs for over 12 years now so i know a pretty good deal about them :wink: iirc, those two videos (missing and aswi) were directed by the same guy. (wikipedia tells me i'm right - dean chamberlain. i was thinking that name too!) which would explain the similarities.

the creepy thing about the video for all she wants is though is that's not the band for most of the video, but wax figurines. obviously the stop motion technique used in the video took too much time to film.

anyway, rcm does definitely sound like they're trying too hard to be relevant. some of the tracks remind me of other tracks timbaland has worked on with other people, like nelly furtado. whereas theirs worked, some of dd's tracks fall flat just because they're trying too hard. some of the songs are good though.

oh yeah, the band is KILLER live. i've been lucky to see them essentially with each incarnation - i saw them in 01 when it was just simon, nick, and warren; in 03, 05, and 06 with all five members; and also in 3/05 with the four of them and dom brown (their current guitarist who isn't an official member) for one show because andy was in england since his father died. none of the incarnations disappointed, although i will admit my favourite ones were with all five of them, just because they all click so well. probably the two times i saw them in the summer of 2005 were the best, they were really on during that tour. i only wish i'd been able to see them for the next two shows too :mad:

I hate to admit it but RCM is totally growing on me. It's defintely not vintage Duran and it may not be for everyone but I am really liking it.

And how funny, someone mentioned "Tricked Out" not being a hit but that's the one i keep going back to.

Wow, cool thread.

DD was my very first concert in 1984.

You should have heard the screaming girls in that show :crazy:

"Arcadia"?...I thought I was the only one that liked that album.

Sorry to be late to this party......

I Love Love Love the song 'She's Too Much'. After many listens, I find the whole CD pretty solid.

Oh and Arcadia WAS better than PowerStation :)

I saw Duran Duran support (!!!) Robbie Williams here in Australia a few years ago. Fan-fucking-tastic.

RCM is a grower - the first time I heard it I was a bit baffled why they wanted to sound like block standard Timbaland crud - but a few listens later I can really hear how they have kept their own sound in there.

Can I be really populist and throw a vote towards 'The Wedding Album'?? 'Ordinary World'... :drool:

Back
Top Bottom