Duran Duran: Astronaut vs. Red Carpet Masscare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon95

The Fly
Which is better, in your opinion, and why?

I know there are a lot of Duran fans who have strong preference for one over the other, and I was wondering what fellow U2 fans thought about the albums side by side.

(And also to hear how much everyone else misses Andy Taylor, too!)

I dont know about the whole albums but i quite like Falling Down.

I'm more of an Astronaut fan (Loved Sunrise)...While I do enjoy RCM and literally anything that Duran does, I'm not so much into the "rap" Timbaland aspect of what they have done..

and yes I miss Andy but I was fortunate enough to see the reunion tour 3x!

astronaut for sure. i too saw the reunion tour three times, and currently i'm set to see them once for their rcm tour. (although this can change if/when they come back for a second leg through the u.s. which is how i was able to see them so much last tour)

i'm not too wild about rcm but i'm interested to see if the songs sound any better live.

RCM has really grown on me. The 1st few listens I really noticed the Timbaland sound...but the more and more I listen to it the "Duran-ness" really shows through.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nite Runner, The Valley and Tempted.

I think Nite Runner will sound great as a live song...but the won't be here in Cleve-burg for now......:(

They are both meh:| compared to their back catalogue...

In fact I would almost go as far to say that only "the Wedding Album" is the only album post 80's worth it's salt, and I think it may even be better than any of their 80's albums. :shrug:

I think Astronaut is very good, and I rather like RCM, although I'm not as familiar with it yet as I should be. I like what I've heard off it and am really looking forward to seeing them live at the end of the month.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
In fact I would almost go as far to say that only "the Wedding Album" is the only album post 80's worth it's salt, and I think it may even be better than any of their 80's albums. :shrug:
it's funny, in my case, i don't really like the wedding album that much at all. i liked it at the time. but now? not so much. if i had to pick my favourite 90s album of theirs, i'd probably pick medazzaland.

Well lets rank Duran Duran's 90's and 00's albums then.

this is how i see it

1. Astronaut
2. The Wedding Album
3. Medezzaland
4. Red Carpet Massacre
5. Pop Trash
6. Liberty
7. Thank You

The top four are all favorites, the others not so much.

Okay I got Medazzaland! :yippie:

I love this style of pop culture collage album cover, just like Achtung Baby. :drool: The songs sound pretty good too!

Btw, one4u2 if you are reading this I'm gonna be at the show you're going to in Central Park. We should meet up! :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm not an expert on 90s/00s DD, but I do know that I was never a big fan of "The Wedding Album". Aside from a couple good songs, and one awesome, kick-ass song (Come Undone), it's pretty crap. There are just a lot of lame songs on that album. "Astronaut" is a far far far superior album to "The Wedding Album". Most of the songs are really good and I don't think there's one truly bad or awful song on "Astronaut".

I haven't heard "Red Carpet Massacre" yet, but I want to. I have a feeling I'll probably like it.

While "Liberty" isn't really a great album, the songs "Serious" and "My Antarctica" are just gorgeous! It's practically worth the whole album just for those 2 songs. I've never heard "Pop Trash" or "Medazzleland". :reject:

My all time favorite DD song is either "New Moon On Monday" or "Lonely In Your Nightmare", with "Wild Boys" probably being my favorite song live in concert. :drool:

Zootlesque said:
Okay I got Medazzaland! :yippie:

I love this style of pop culture collage album cover, just like Achtung Baby. :drool: The songs sound pretty good too!

Btw, one4u2 if you are reading this I'm gonna be at the show you're going to in Central Park. We should meet up! :wink:

Which night are you going? I am so hesitant to do GA I dont even do it for U2 so I won't be pushing up to the front..

FitzChivalry said:

While "Liberty" isn't really a great album, the songs "Serious" and "My Antarctica" are just gorgeous! It's practically worth the whole album just for those 2 songs.
Serious is great I actually :heart: that song.

FitzChivalry said:
I'm not an expert on 90s/00s DD, but I do know that I was never a big fan of "The Wedding Album". Aside from a couple good songs, and one awesome, kick-ass song (Come Undone), it's pretty crap. There are just a lot of lame songs on that album. "Astronaut" is a far far far superior album to "The Wedding Album". Most of the songs are really good and I don't think there's one truly bad or awful song on "Astronaut".
:lol: for me, i think the wedding album just sounds extremely dated. you listen to it, and you think "wow, hello 92/93" and imo, not in a good way. sure, some stuff (especially early duran duran, like the first album) is dated, but in a timeless sort of way where it takes you back and you're like "awww, remember when this song came out" or whatever you may think. i dunno. i like ordinary world, breath after breath, and for me, i've just gotten so sick of come undone because the fans in concert go nuts over simon when he sings it, and i'm like eww. there's a lot of songs on that album that fall into the "okay" category for me. but i don't think i'd say i hate any of the songs.

the only song on astronaut i don't like is bedroom toys, because i just think it tries too hard.

While "Liberty" isn't really a great album, the songs "Serious" and "My Antarctica" are just gorgeous! It's practically worth the whole album just for those 2 songs. I've never heard "Pop Trash" or "Medazzleland". :reject:
that i do agree with. liberty is a clunker, but the good songs on that are great. serious and my antarctica are the only ones i'd say are fantastic; violence of summer is...okay. the rest i hate. two of my least favourite songs are on that album, hothead and read my lips.

My all time favorite DD song is either "New Moon On Monday" or "Lonely In Your Nightmare", with "Wild Boys" probably being my favorite song live in concert. :drool:
oooh, those are great songs. mine is new religion :drool: and i'd say new moon on monday is probably a close second. and the wild boys is your favourite live? i'm surprised, only because i don't think it's stood the test of time as well as other songs of theirs, only because simon can't seem to hit the high notes in the song as well anymore. and try as he might, he still attempts to every time i see them :| but i do like the song live...just not the chorus.

one4u2 said:
Which night are you going? I am so hesitant to do GA I dont even do it for U2 so I won't be pushing up to the front..
ha. i haven't done ga for duran duran in about three years, but it's nothing like U2, as i'm sure you know. i have no idea how much bigger the places are now as compared to then (i hope they're at least a LITTLE bigger than the ga places i've seen them before) but i've lined up like two hours before the concert. then i get to stand next to psychos who act like it's a badge of honour that they've seen them ten times as much as me. hey, if you can afford to see your favourite band 10 or whatever times per tour, awesome. but some of us can't afford it or just don't want to. when did concertgoing become a pissing match?

lol so yeah...i don't really like doing ga either for dd.

KhanadaRhodes said:

:lol: for me, i think the wedding album just sounds extremely dated. you listen to it, and you think "wow, hello 92/93" and imo, not in a good way. sure, some stuff (especially early duran duran, like the first album) is dated, but in a timeless sort of way where it takes you back and you're like "awww, remember when this song came out" or whatever you may think. i dunno. i like ordinary world, breath after breath, and for me, i've just gotten so sick of come undone because the fans in concert go nuts over simon when he sings it, and i'm like eww. there's a lot of songs on that album that fall into the "okay" category for me. but i don't think i'd say i hate any of the songs.

I completely agree with you about "dated" nostalgia/classics vs. "dated" certain songs should just stay in certain years and never leave.

I find a LOT of songs off "The Wedding Album" just so dull and sub-par and COMPLETELY forgettable. Over half the album is just boring, blah, formless filler. I couldn't even hum these songs for you, to me they're tuneless:

"Drowning Man"
"Shotgun"
"Femme Fatale"
"None of the Above"
"Shelter"
"To Whom It May Concern"
"Sin of the City"

So that's why I have such a big gripe against "The Wedding Album". :lol:

KhanadaRhodes said:

and the wild boys is your favourite live? i'm surprised, only because i don't think it's stood the test of time as well as other songs of theirs, only because simon can't seem to hit the high notes in the song as well anymore. and try as he might, he still attempts to every time i see them :| but i do like the song live...just not the chorus.

Well, Simon's never been the best singer live; I mean, that's just a given. He cracks. He goes off key. He goes off tune. I just kind of expect it, and am pleasantly surprised when he actually gets it all right on key.

So my love for "Wild Boys" live is just, pure and simple, that it RAWKS!!! :rockon: It has so much energy and is just pedal-to-the-metal awesome from start to finish. Live it is just a rockin' rockin' tune, and I love it! :heart:

:wink:

I did GA for Duran once on the reunion tour but it was in a small place not in Central Park!Oh yeah and I did GA for the Brooklyn Bridge show.. I am short and cannot/will not battle crowds..

FitzChivalry said:
I completely agree with you about "dated" nostalgia/classics vs. "dated" certain songs should just stay in certain years and never leave.

I find a LOT of songs off "The Wedding Album" just so dull and sub-par and COMPLETELY forgettable. Over half the album is just boring, blah, formless filler. I couldn't even hum these songs for you, to me they're tuneless:

"Drowning Man"
"Shotgun"
"Femme Fatale"
"None of the Above"
"Shelter"
"To Whom It May Concern"
"Sin of the City"

So that's why I have such a big gripe against "The Wedding Album". :lol:
exactly! all the songs you listed...if i never heard them again, i wouldn't be bummed. i don't skip them if i listen to the album (which i never do) but i'm NEVER like "wow, i could SO be in the mood to listen to drowning man!" i actually listen to (parts of) thank you more than the wedding album. that's saaaaaaad.

Well, Simon's never been the best singer live; I mean, that's just a given. He cracks. He goes off key. He goes off tune. I just kind of expect it, and am pleasantly surprised when he actually gets it all right on key.

So my love for "Wild Boys" live is just, pure and simple, that it RAWKS!!! :rockon: It has so much energy and is just pedal-to-the-metal awesome from start to finish. Live it is just a rockin' rockin' tune, and I love it! :heart:

:wink:
:giggle: live aid's version of a view to a kill is a prime example of that. good going, simon!

this is true, it definitely is a rocking song. it's their most un-durany for sure. and i'll agree with you there, live it's even better. except for simon's vocals :wink:

You guys have talked me into it, I guess Medazzaland is a better overall album than The Wedding Album, I just love Ordinary World and Come Undone better than any song on Medazzaland though.

Astronaut is still the best of the last 20 years.

KhanadaRhodes said:

mine is new religion :drool:

When I was around 10 -- 12, Richard Blade on KROQ used to do these "mixes" of like The Cure, Depeche Mode, etc. And he did this really cool Duran Duran one, that I think I still have on tape somewhere, and then afterward he played some B-sides and Extended Versions. I taped that whole show. And one of those Extended Versions was "New Religion".

So my family and my Aunt's family went on a camping trip that year, and I took that tape along (I think it was the same year Madonna's "True Blue" came out b/c I remember listening to that a lot on that camping trip) and for 2 weeks straight, while we were driving to different forests in different states, my oldest cousin Kiyomi and I would be in the back on my Dad's truck, seeing who could sing the "get along fine with the friends of mine, but you have to make a choice . . ." part of the extended version the fastest.

We played that version over and over and over and over.

Good times. Good memories. GREAT song. :yes:

Oh! P.S. Kananda, have you heard of the Regeneration Tour? I don't know where they're touring other than San Diego County and I think a date in Los Angeles in August, but its supposed to be: Human League, ABC, Belinda Carlisle, Dead or Alive and Naked Eyes. Depending on how my job search goes, I might try to go. It sounds like fun.

Ahhh, I found a link: http://www.regenerationtour.com/index.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom