Duran Duran: Astronaut vs. Red Carpet Masscare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
It's probably a similar argument to the one the diehard U2 fans have here.

"Can't they drop With or Without You or Pride????"

I would guess a big part of their audience these days are people who loved them in their heyday and haven't followed their career very much after the 80s ended. They might enjoy whatever they're playing off the new release they're touring behind, but they're really there for nostalgic reasons and want to hear those hits.

But I'd go nuts to hear Hold Back the Rain!

You are completely correct, and I understand that.

I just remember when they first reunited as the original 5-piece and that first reunion tour they opened with "Friend of Mine" :drool: :drool:

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! :yes: :up: :D

corianderstem said:
It's probably a similar argument to the one the diehard U2 fans have here.

"Can't they drop With or Without You or Pride????"

I would guess a big part of their audience these days are people who loved them in their heyday and haven't followed their career very much after the 80s ended. They might enjoy whatever they're playing off the new release they're touring behind, but they're really there for nostalgic reasons and want to hear those hits.

But I'd go nuts to hear Hold Back the Rain!

:up:

I haven't followed them very closely in ages - I was a fan in the late 80's. I was there to see the hits, but like you said, I definitely enjoyed hearing the newer stuff. I'd never had the chance to see them on tour back then, so I was definitely there for nostalgic reasons.

can i just say this in regards to their setlists...i looked on their site and they had all the setlists posted. i'm not exaggerating when i say EVERY show is the exact same thus far. (except for chicago where they played the chauffeur, but that was in addition to all the usual shit. makes me wish all that much more i'd gone to chicago...oh well.)

that being said though, i had a blast seeing them. and i did loooove hearing last chance on the stairway, especially hearing it all dancy like that :drool:

Astronaut is MUCH better for me because Red Carpet Massacre was released during a very bad period in my life. Instead of elevating my spirits, RCM was just a soundtrack to it. Astronaut was one of the two best albums of 2004. The other being HTDAAB obviously.

*Friends of Mine* opening the 2003 tour. Yeah. That was AWESOME.
Their static setlist is lame. That is my only real complaint from this tour. Oh and the fact that Chicago got "The Chauffeur" and I didn't here in LA!!!

Astronaut is definitely a better album IMO. I enjoy some songs on RCM to a degree ( and some are good to work out too) but Astronaut was really great.

Just came from the NY show and all I can say is :drool::drool:

:yes: What a fantastic show! Despite not knowing a couple of songs and getting rained on (didn't bring my umbrella), it was great! They played pretty much all the hits including an extended version of Girls On Film with Papa Was A Rolling Stone tacked on and Simon introduced the whole band including the saxophone player and female singer. I was so happy they played both Ordinary World AND Come Undone! If they'd played Electric Barbarella, I would have been dancing with joy! Ended the show with an energetic version of Rio. Man, Simon sure does have fun on stage! He was making jokes, dancing and just having a great time! Oh and somebody threw a bra at him during Skin Trade. :laugh: The whole band was awesome and lots of fun! :rockon:

I was front row right by that bra but it wasn't mine :shifty: They were great as usual, that man is sex on a stick...Can't wait for them to get back here!

Here are some pics taken from my cellphone. They're not great but they'll have to do...

dd4.jpg

dd3.jpg

dd2.jpg

dd1.jpg

I was front row right by that bra but it wasn't mine :shifty: They were great as usual, that man is sex on a stick...Can't wait for them to get back here!

I thought you said you weren't gonna be up front for fear of being trampled or something. :eyebrow: :wink:

ok here are my pics.. not so good but these are the ones that are not as blurry. I don't get it but maybe it was the distance..anywho here they are.. (The vid is still uploading, will post soon.)

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

I thought you said you weren't gonna be up front for fear of being trampled or something. :eyebrow: :wink:

That was my intention until Lebondom sucked me in and my friend agreed. I have 31 mini video shots from my cellphone I will go through them and post the decent ones later :happy:

Does anyone know why they don't play anything from Medazzaland? Is it the case of U2 not playing much from Pop kinda thing? Cos like I said, Electric Barbarella would have been the highlight of the freaking show for me! :love:

:ohmy: Why yuck? They were good! esp. the sax guy!
he scares me.

I was listening to Medazzaland before and after the show. Fucking good album! The first half especially is ridiculously good!
oh yeah, i love it :drool: you should've seen them back in 01, they played stuff of the album back then. i would've seen them before then, but when they toured around here they only played 21+ places :grumpy:

let me look for the cream of the crop :drool:

for now, here's my flickr set: duran duran atlanta 5/17/08 - a set on Flickr

well...i'd posted about ten pics on here...but the post got deleted cuz of a database error, and i don't feel like going through my thing again :lol:

now no one will go through it, lol

I saw the pics you posted late last night. Amazing ones! So clear and up close! You should post em again when you get a chance. :yes:

I saw the pics you posted late last night. Amazing ones! So clear and up close! You should post em again when you get a chance. :yes:
for once i wish someone had quoted a long ass post! :lol: oh well. i'll probably go through them tonight or something.

i had pretty good seats, i was at an amphitheater. i wasn't directly on the floor but just a teensy bit off to the right, in the third row. i definitely was glad i had the great camera i did, cuz i had to use my big ass zoom.

:eek: :D

You know, I don't know why, but POP TRASH is probably my favorite Duran Duran album... I just find it really funky and different than a lot of their other stuff. Pretty good stuff...

Playing with Uranium
MARS MEETS VENUS
Last Day on Earth
Starting to Remember (makes me plaintive)

...So yeah, some strong material that I feel no DD fan ever acknowledges.
Also, I feel Red Carpet Massacre is pretty dang impressive, too. "Tempted," "Skin Divers," "Falling Down" = :drool:

You know, I don't know why, but POP TRASH is probably my favorite Duran Duran album... I just find it really funky and different than a lot of their other stuff. Pretty good stuff...

Playing with Uranium
MARS MEETS VENUS
Last Day on Earth
Starting to Remember (makes me plaintive)

...So yeah, some strong material that I feel no DD fan ever acknowledges.
Also, I feel Red Carpet Massacre is pretty dang impressive, too. "Tempted," "Skin Divers," "Falling Down" = :drool:
i looooooooove pop trash! i've loved it since it came out. like you said, it's an unappreciated gem :sigh:

and rcm has totally grown on me after having seen them live. i love skin divers! :giggle: and nite runner, well i've always loved that one. tempted is great. falling down i still think is them trying a bit too hard, but it is a great song. i pretty much love every song up to tempted. then i think it kinda craps out.

Back
Top Bottom