duran duran appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:tongue:

this could be my best thread yet!! watch me as i recite obscure duran duran lyrics at the drop of a hat. watch me as i manage to find some more duran duran artwork to get tattooed on me. watch me as i drool over the bass god! :drool:

Zootlesque said:
BTW, when did you get into their stuff?
summer of 96. vh1 was doing this thing they used to do where they'd play all their videos (by everyone) from a-z for 4th of july weekend. i was out of town so i set my vcr to tape something else on there. i guessed the time so i just had it tape all evening.

i was watching the tape to see what else they played. when they got to duran duran i was like "hey, i remember this song!" for every single one. later that month i went on vacation (again, i was a jetsetter, lol) and ended up buying decade, as well as the first two albums. i think it was a matter of two months before i'd bought everything.

then the waiting...their new album was supposed to have been out within months. it got delayed for a year. :der:

and only because it's bugging me now...
if you count arena:
eighth album: thank you
fifth track: lay lady lay
magic word: lay :laugh:

if you don't:
eighth album: medazzaland
fifth track: who do you think you are
magic word: on :lmao:

Wow, you discovered them after I did. Ordinary World was my introduction to Duran Duran, as funny as that sounds cos The Wedding Album was so much different from anything upto that point. Of course, you say you knew many of the songs before. I got Decade (for $1.99 in fact and it still plays great) and that's how I heard many of those old songs except of course the obvious ones like HLTW or Rio which I'd known before. But yeah, the videos for Ordinary World and Come Undone :)drool: ) were what caught my attention. Also, I :love: that word, Medazzaland.

KhanadaRhodes said:

and only because it's bugging me now...
if you count arena:
eighth album: thank you
fifth track: lay lady lay
magic word: lay :laugh:

if you don't:
eighth album: medazzaland
fifth track: who do you think you are
magic word: on :lmao:

you're too much! :hug:

Zootlesque said:
Wow, you discovered them after I did. Ordinary World was my introduction to Duran Duran, as funny as that sounds cos The Wedding Album was so much different from anything upto that point. Of course, you say you knew many of the songs before. I got Decade (for $1.99 in fact and it still plays great) and that's how I heard many of those old songs except of course the obvious ones like HLTW or Rio which I'd known before. But yeah, the videos for Ordinary World and Come Undone :)drool: ) were what caught my attention. Also, I :love: that word, Medazzaland.
well i mean yeah i knew their stuff before that because of the radio and such, but yeah i didn't start buying their stuff until 96. i've been a lifelong fan really. one of my earliest memories was watching the reflex video on friday night videos.

they have not released a proper greatest hits album imo. decade is flawed because they released stuff afterwards which is okay. but they left out new moon on monday! (the story is simon got sick of the song by then so he cheated fans by not putting it on there.) then greatest, which by then there were so many hits to choose from, they had to use edits of songs. save a prayer's missing a verse and a half!

ahh yes, medazzaland. i remember waiting for that album. this was before the internet was commonplace and even then news didn't always spread quickly. i could use my dad's computer at work on the weekends (my mom worked there as well and she'd go in on saturdays for the overtime, there was nothing to do at home so i went too) and he had the internet!! i remember reading about how it kept getting pushed back. the album title kept changing (i remember reading the story about how it got called medazzaland before it was even called medazzaland).

then john left the band. :rant: i forgave him though. but then i had his solo shit to buy, which ironically still came out before medazzaland. :laugh: so anyway, i couldn't always check the internet so my mom and i would be calling record stores to see if they knew when it would be coming out. i wish i'd recorded those phone calls, most people didn't know what i was talking about! :lmao:

Zootlesque said:
Yeah, I can imagine.... Huh? Medazza...what?
yes!! :giggle:

i remember one guy in particular. he had a bit of a jamaican accent and he called it "medassaland" and it was just the way he said it...i just pictured his eyes bugging out as he said it :lmao:

KhanadaRhodes said:
:tongue:

watch me as i drool over the bass god! :drool:

Why on earth are you drooling over Steve Kilbey in a Duran Duran thread? :huh: :D

And did you know The Church opened for Duran Duran for something like six shows? They dropped out after that -- apparently a really bad fit for The Church crowd-wise.

i just saw them at the joint (hardrock las vegas) a few weeks ago

it was seriously one of the most enjoyable shows i've ever been to.

Earliest memory of Duran Duran that comes to mind for me is hearing their song "Is There Something I Should Know?" on a tape of 80s songs when I was little. At that time, though, I remember not really caring for that song, so I'd always skip over it. I like it now, though. And every time I hear "Electric Barbarella", I automatically think of this friend of mine, 'cause she loved that song (it is a cool song).

I've only really heard their big hits, but I like those ("Ordinary World"-great song :yes: :up: :)). And I like their newer songs I've heard, too. I remember a few months back their song "The Reflex" was really clicking with me, I was really liking that song for a time there.

Also, when VH1 Classic was showing all those "MTV Unplugged" shows last month-the Duran Duran one was really good, one of the best ones they showed that day.

So yeah, in short: Duran Duran=:up:.

Angela

I guess I'll always be a bit of a Duranie at heart. I was fortunate enough to meet the band a few times in the 80s and have a lot of happy memories of those days.

And I must say, Roger Taylor is looking really, really hot these days!!! I think he's aged the best of the guys, looks-wise.

bonosgirl84 said:
i just saw them at the joint (hardrock las vegas) a few weeks ago

it was seriously one of the most enjoyable shows i've ever been to.
:applaud: they kick ass live. every time i've seen them they've put on such a great show.

Diane L said:
And I must say, Roger Taylor is looking really, really hot these days!!! I think he's aged the best of the guys, looks-wise.
well yeah, but i always have a soft spot for john who i think is aging very well too. (as long as he doesn't spike his hair up like he's been doing at times. who told him that looked good??)

My first Duran song was Planet Earth. I have tonnes of vinyl including many Japanese import 12 inch remixes. I have lots of videos too, not that I have a VCR lol

Then theres the books. I have quite a few from the old scrapbook series, Sing Blue Silver, as well as my tour programme from 1983.

etc, etc, etc :uhoh:

KhanadaRhodes said:

hmm, really? do you know when they did? :hmm:

I was listening to an old (from 1986) Kilbey interview the other day and he was asked about it then, but I don't remember him saying when exactly it was. Comparing concert dates and venues for both bands it has to have been in early October 1982 in Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, and France.

Last edited:
Duran :hyper: I've been listening to them since 1984!!! I Just saw them Wednesday night at the Garden they were unbelievable....

Simon :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom