duran duran appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beli said:
Im not fond of Seven and the Ragged Tiger. They recorded a chunk of that album in Australia so the publicity was immense. I was so disappointed when it came out, I cried. Seriously. :mad:
omigor are you serious? that was my favourite album for a while. now i'm more fond of their first album. what would you say is your favourite of theirs? seven and the ragged tiger was a bit of a dramatic shift in sound for them...a lot harder. you couldn't listen to last chance on the stairway and of crime and passion and think they were A. the same band; B. recorded just a year apart.

KhanadaRhodes said:

:yes:

you'd be amazed all the useless crap i know. i think i can remember every single person each member has dated (well for andy and roger it's really easy) and as i proved yesterday at lunch, i can name every single released in chronological order. :reject:

I've been a fan for 21 years don't even get me started!!

I was near tears when they played the chauffer!

Last edited:
Fisrt album is my favourite, followed by Rio. I was a serious Duranie back then. When my baby wakes up Ill take a photo of my early Duran stuff. Seven was when they wobbled for me.

beli said:
Fisrt album is my favourite, followed by Rio. I was a serious Duranie back then. When my baby wakes up Ill take a photo of my early Duran stuff. Seven was when they wobbled for me.
yeah those are my favourites too :up:

the one thing that pissed me off was as much as i love itsisk, it had no place on their first album. it wasn't until they did the remaster last year that i was able to get a proper copy of the cd with to the shore on instead.

KhanadaRhodes said:

yeah those are my favourites too :up:

the one thing that pissed me off was as much as i love itsisk, it had no place on their first album. it wasn't until they did the remaster last year that i was able to get a proper copy of the cd with to the shore on instead.

pardon? To The Shore was on the first album. Im confused. Did the USA get a different version of the album?

beli said:
pardon? To The Shore was on the first album. Im confused. Did the USA get a different version of the album?
yeah, but here in the states, the only version available on cd went like this:

1. girls on film
  2. planet earth
  3. anyone out there
  4. careless memories
  5. is there something i should know
  6. night boat
  7. sound of thunder
  8. friends of mine
  9. tel aviv
    [/list=1]

one4u2 said:
friends of mine :hyper:
i just put that song on :hyper: :love:

beli said:
Yucky. I hate it when record companies change albums. It stuff up the flow. Especially if youve heard the album a thousand times before.
:yes: :mad:

i mean picture it, careless memories...is there something i should know? it doesn't fit. they're different sounds. to the shore fits though, i don't know why they removed it. i think they said it wasn't commercial-sounding enough or something.

These are quick photos, quick before the baby crawls on them. lol. Apologies for glare etc, but you can get the gist.

Duran1web.jpg

Duran2web.jpg

Duran3web.jpg

This thread is so great!!!

I didn't realize Renee Simonsen had been in an ad recently. Isn't John now married to one of the women behind Juicy Couture?

I had always wondered what had happened to Clare Stansfield. Apparently she was a movie actress for a while and now designs T-shirts with a business partner.

Oh, all these (careless?) memories...

Diane L said:

I didn't realize Renee Simonsen had been in an ad recently.

Nor did I. Thats why it freaked me out at the chemist. Yasmin Le Bon did some full window ads for a local store her about 2 years ago. That was odd. Huge, bigger than life size photos in the window of a clothing store.

Diane L said:

I had always wondered what had happened to Clare Stansfield. Apparently she was a movie actress for a while and now designs T-shirts with a business partner.

Clare Stansfield was in one episode of crappy cop tv show. I can't recall which. I even watched it to see her but she was over and gone in the blink of an eye. Dunno what else.

Diane L said:

I didn't realize Renee Simonsen had been in an ad recently. Isn't John now married to one of the women behind Juicy Couture?

Yes, John is married to that Gela chick from Juicy :D

i have quite a bit of what you have. ahh the wonders of ebay :reject:

at least i have a record collection though so i can listen to it :wink:

this makes me think mayhaps tomorrow or something i should take a picture of everything i've got on vinyl? :hmm:

my prized duran duran possession: my moon and stars version of planet earth. it's super-rare, their first american release back in 81, and something like 5000 copies were pressed. it's referred to as the moon and stars version as it had a different cover:
3436%3B98323232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2327%3D883%3D636%3DXROQDF%3E23238366682%3B7ot1lsi

i could not believe when i finally won that on ebay. plus i've got all three versions of carnival: each with a different cover and track listing.

Oh, I've never seen that before. I just have the normal purple one. I didnt know about different covers back then. I knew about different countries having different remixes, hence my Japanese remixes. I have some more though. Dunno where they arel :mad:

My Wild Boys cover is the Roger one. I knew there were different covers for that single but I just grabbed Roger, cause that was all that was in the shop .

Ebay? Ive never bought an Duran stuff second hand. Hmmm. Maybe I should. lol.

Actually what I need to buy is a record player, and a computer monitor. :mad:

beli said:
Oh, I've never seen that before. I just have the normal purple one. I didnt know about different covers back then. I knew about different countries having different remixes, hence my Japanese remixes. I have some more though. Dunno where they arel :mad:

My Wild Boys cover is the Roger one. I knew there were different covers for that single but I just grabbed Roger, cause that was all that was in the shop .

Ebay? Ive never bought an Duran stuff second hand. Hmmm. Maybe I should. lol.

Actually what I need to buy is a record player, and a computer monitor. :mad:
yeah that one was a promo release only in america; i've got the proper purple cover as well. the moon and stars one just has the night version and album version of planet earth, no late bar. :love: late bar.

i think the wild boys version i have is of the entire band. i would love to get my hands on a copy with john on the cover. :drool:

ebay is the only way i've ever been able to find any duran duran stuff. the second hand shops here always have loads of U2 stuff which i pick up from time to time, but never any duran duran.

i dunno about in australia, but record players are pretty cheap over here, between $50-100 (us).

KhanadaRhodes said:
btw beli i just realized the last lp you bought was big thing. no liberty, huh? :giggle:

Thats just my vinyl. lol. I eventually switched to CDs even though they sound crap and the artwork is too small. :mad:

We dont have any 2nd hand cd shops here. We used to have a pawn shop but its moved away. I would have to go into town to find 2nd hand cds. I live up the coast quite a way from the actual inner city of Perth. I suppose I could go down there. lol.

Okay, I was tempted. I walked passed the discount bins at Sanity (CD & DVD chain store over here). You know the sort of sale - huge signs, big discounts but all the CDs are best of Doris Day # 6 etc. I tend to keep walking but I could see a Roxy Music CD (one that I already have) in there so I thought, maybe just maybe there might be something decent in there.

And....

Yep....

You guessed.

Astronaut!!!1!

Not the one with the DVD, just the normal one but the price was right. Not only that but Marianne Faithfuls "Broken English" and "The Essential Philip Glass" :drool:

And in the really supercheap bin was the best of Don McLean. Ive always wanted American Pie and the price was right. So now I have it.

:woohoo:

:hyper:

how did I miss a Duran Duran appreciation thread? :reject:

I got into DD about two or three years ago... but I've always liked their music since I was a kid

I'm not a hardcore fan in terms of my purchases... I only have Rio and the Wedding Album on CD, and I received both Singles box sets last Christmas. The rest of my Duran collection is on mp3.

My little sister's only seven and she's already a Duranie :lol:

Last edited:
easytiger said:
how did I miss a Duran Duran appreciation thread? :reject:

I got into DD about two or three years ago... but I've always liked their music since I was a kid

I'm not a hardcore fan in terms of my purchases... I only have Rio and the Wedding Album on CD, and I received both Singles box sets last Christmas. The rest of my Duran collection is on mp3.

My little sister's only seven and she's already a Duranie :lol:
:applause: what do you think of the singles box sets? the first one (81-85) is loads better. like U2, once the 90s hit, duran duran started using more remixes than traditional b-sides (meaning covers and songs that didn't make it onto the album).

you should really pick up the remastered duran duran (first album) and seven and the ragged tiger. :up:

Back
Top Bottom