Dungeons and Dragons????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
OK...home many of you out there were D & D Geeks?

Fess up!!!!!:wink:

Do you think D&D is a healthy activity for your adolescent minds to occupy their time with?

Or is D&D another way for the devil to work his way into your mind?

This Paladin wants to know.

By the way D&D turned 30 this month.

good point. But there's something about dressing up like a wizard and running around in the woods that a computer cannot replicate ;).

I'll be honest. I think that the computer games are cool, but the reality RPG is scary to me.

Melon

There are lots of people who still play pen and paper RPG's today. I played Star Wars RPG for a while in Grade 8 and 9.

I have always laughed at the prospect that it was dangerous. There have been people who had killed because of it, or killed themselves because their character died. But there have also been people who killed themselves or others because of a movie, a song, or because they thought God told them to do it. So what I'm saying is, if somebody is that kind of person, you can't blame D&D, or the song, the movie, and especially not God. They're just messed up people, and there were some like that since way before TV, radio or D&D.

I used to think it was a joke when you'd see those little religious pamphlets condemning D&D as a bad influence showing badasses in leather jackets kicking people's asses, cutting them with knives, and conjuring the devil and playing D&D. No, it was the GEEKS and nerds and guys who got beat up by those types who played it. The mean ones never played it, it was for geeks!

My brother and all his friends were teen D&D geeks in the 80's. They played it until they were in their mid 20's and still do occasionally for fun. They were all computer geeks and they grew up to be computer geeks making lots of money. I thought it was funny because on the I Love the 80's special, somebody said what happened to all the D&D geeks, did they turn weird, get in trouble? No, the guy said, they're all computer experts making big bucks. For the most part that's true.

One of my brother's friends is still addicted to an online version of it and he can't hold a job or a relationship because of it. He won't go to work or sleep more than an hour at a time because he's afraid his character will die if he leaves it too long. He literally sleeps in a chair at the computer. He now is living with his parents again and is out of work at this time.

Last edited:
I have played Star Wars, Car Wars, D&D...but nothing recently.

I do belong to a monthly game club where we play great games like Settlers of Kattan, Ra, Lord of the Rings, Tigris and Euphrates, TiKal, Carcassonne, San Juan, Puerto Rico......

And many more. It is a great night out for a married with children type like myself who are looking to have fin without blowing a lot of money.

I know nothing about D&D, but my stepmom thought I was worshipping Satan when I was 12-14 because I read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and other fantasy books. :|

My brother and I would play that when we were little...he even used to make up his own maps and he had all the dice and everything. It was fun.

:reject:

I've never played, wouldn't mind trying.

I played RPG video games when I was younger, and I still love fantasy novels.

Unfortunately I find RPG games take up way to much time now...:(

melon said:
I'll be honest. I think that the computer games are cool, but the reality RPG is scary to me.

Melon

Agreed. Paper and dice RPGs are great mental exercises. Running around dressed as an elf warrior is a bit much.

Or is D&D another way for the devil to work his way into your mind?

It's the devil's tool, just like rock music and the Smurfs.

This message brought to you by :mac:

Now go listen to your records backwards!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom