Dumb Hope, Northumberland, UK Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:
hmm cool new term. use it in a few more sentences so i don't make an arse of myself if i wanna use it. :flirt:

its an australian term, used by bogans like me ,

"she was a great root"

i probably wouldn't use it if i was you !

Varitek said:
hmm cool new term. use it in a few more sentences so i don't make an arse of myself if i wanna use it. :flirt:

You can basically use it as a synonym for 'fuck', e.g. "he rooted her last night".

you know what else i want on the new interference? a blinking window or changing thread title to tell me when someone has posted!

mysterious_jen said:

its an australian term, used by bogans like me ,

"she was a great root"

i probably wouldn't use it if i was you !

is it misogynist? (i had to spell that like 5 times before the red underline went away) or some other reason?

mysterious_jen said:
you could also use it as in "i am rooted" - i am tired.

Or as "ruined", e.g. "Had an accident driving home today. I'm OK but the car's rooted."

speaking of misunderstanding terms. i first encountered the british word "knackered in this manner:"

me: i wanna have sex again!
guy i was dating: not right now, sorry, i'm knackered
me: wtf is knackered
guy: tired from sex.
me: oh, interesting.
guy: but you might say "oh that car is totally knackered"

so i think it means tired from sex but can be applied to other words.

i tell someone this and they laugh and say it just means tired. i was embarrassed that i'd misinterpreted that conversation to that context of the word.

i believe that until just now when i decide to verify it with a google search.

http://english2american.com/dictionary/k.html
knackered adj very tired; beat. It has a slightly more dodgy meaning as it technically describes being exhausted after sex. You can get away with it in everyday conversation but bear in mind that everyone knows the true meaning too. The "knacker's yard" was once a place where old horses were converted into glue. Where the sexual connotations came from is anyone's guess.

so i guess i was right all along, and this turned out to be a lame story.

Varitek said:
speaking of misunderstanding terms. i first encountered the british word "knackered in this manner:"

me: i wanna have sex again!
guy i was dating: not right now, sorry, i'm knackered
me: wtf is knackered
guy: tired from sex.
me: oh, interesting.
guy: but you might say "oh that car is totally knackered"

If he'd stopped at tired, he'd have had it right.

coolian2 said:

If he'd stopped at tired, he'd have had it right.

that's what i was told and went on believing...then i just googled it

he was british, so i'm going back to his definition. also i like that i knackered someone out or whatever.

btw can i award the first portion of this thread the

1129542189_s.jpg

coolian2 said:

I've seen Rodney Hide once, but no really big stars. Pretty piss poor effort for someone in central Auckland almost daily.

Why the hell would any self-respecting star be in central Auckland anyway? They'd be off in their mansion rather than in a CBD that urgently needs some urban renewal.

Axver said:

I'd disagree with that. It's just tired. Not inherently sexual. In fact, I would go as far as saying it is starting to fall into disuse and become archaic.

well a brit told me that in 2005, maybe it has an additional connotation in the UK...i don't ever use it anyway.

Axver said:

Why the hell would any self-respecting star be in central Auckland anyway? They'd be off in their mansion rather than in a CBD that urgently needs some urban renewal.

Ponsonby and Newmarket and where you should be to be seen.

At least after damn near two years we now have nice new footpaths on Queen St.

I also see they're disrupting traffic to build a city-Newmarket bus route. Estimated completion: 2010. Estimated Ian gradution: End 2009.

Varitek said:

well a brit told me that in 2005, maybe it has an additional connotation in the UK...i don't ever use it anyway.

I think you're misinterpreting him. It means "tired", in that case from sex.

I mean, I've grown up around British people, I could get British citizenship (and will when I finally have the money to visit Europe), and know people who use the word. It doesn't have inherent sexual overtones. I most frequently hear it from older relatives when they get back from a run or other physically demanding activity, "I'm bloody knackered!"

coolian2 said:

Ponsonby and Newmarket and where you should be to be seen.

At least after damn near two years we now have nice new footpaths on Queen St.

I also see they're disrupting traffic to build a city-Newmarket bus route. Estimated completion: 2010. Estimated Ian gradution: End 2009.

Newmarket? Seemed like a bit of a hole to me when I was there in 2006.

Axver said:

I think you're misinterpreting him. It means "tired", in that case from sex.

I mean, I've grown up around British people, I could get British citizenship (and will when I finally have the money to visit Europe), and know people who use the word. It doesn't have inherent sexual overtones. I most frequently hear it from older relatives when they get back from a run or other physically demanding activity, "I'm bloody knackered!"

like i said, i thought it meant tired after i was corrected, and that i'd misinterpreted him...until 10 minutes ago when i saw that site. i'm betting that some people have that connotation, and others don't. anyway, i don't use it. but i can see how it would be awkward to think of it that way and then hear your relatives say that!

coolian2 said:

that's the awkward turtle. it is used to denote awkwardness, usually as it is happening, by placing your hands in that position, palms up for extra awkwardness, and rotating your thumbs as a turtle might his legs if struggling to swim.

it has spawned an array of other awkward animal gestures that i find to be simultaneously annoying and amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom