Dumb Hope, Northumberland, UK Superthread - Page 53 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #781
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:21 PM
YLB, that was a huge list, I really hope that was copy and paste. If not, that's too much work.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #782
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:21 AM
I just looked at my ratings from Flixster and copied and pasted them over.

Flixster's a great place to find movie recs, review, and organize movies you've seen.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #783
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I didn't understand his criticism about not buying music. We're all guilty of that here.
But not everyone asks for uploads of albums daily.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #784
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Done.

Have Viva la Vida, Violet Hill, Rebel Yell, and the acoustic Lost! been the only ones to leak, Phanan?
It seems that a rough cut of Life In Technicolor is out there as well, although I haven't heard it yet. And when it says "rough cut" it's obvious it's not the final version.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #785
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist

But not everyone asks for uploads of albums daily.
You'd be surprised.

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

It seems that a rough cut of Life In Technicolor is out there as well, although I haven't heard it yet. And when it says "rough cut" it's obvious it's not the final version.
Sounds cool. I think I'll just wait for the leak to see if I'm interested in buying it or not. I regret not listening to the leak of X&Y before purchasing.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #786
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

Yeah. My view is that I'll spend the money on a tour and music DVD's. That is where a lot of an artist's income come from. Plus royalities when others are inspired by their music and do covers. Why not spread the music and allow others to buy concert tickets and what have you?
At some point it just gets ridiculous, though. Of course, I'm guilty of it, to a certain degree. But between me, my brothers, and the singer of my band, 90% of the music on my computer is something which has been purchased. First or secondhand. I mean, maybe I'm a purist, or an elitist, but I feel a lot of people who download music don't pay for music dvd's either.

And yes, some bands make money on tours--most bands make money by selling their merchandise while on tour (i.e. their music). I've had some friends crippled due to the fact that people shared their album so much that it didn't meet the record company's quota and therefore they were dropped from the label. No one bought the album at the show (when the band makes 100% profit off it), t-shirt sales pay for more t-shirts to be made (and not much else unless it's over $20, but most smaller bands sell them for $10, which is little above cost), and small clubs don't pay very much at all. About enough for gas and food to get to the next city. With CD sales down, the small bands are getting squeezed out and disillusioned.

Anyway, this isn't so much of a rant. It's just me saying that bands, unless they're U2 sized (or even maybe Raconteurs-sized) don't make much money on tours, and that I really think that people should buy a little bit more music than they currently do. That's directed at everyone, by the way, not just you (Screwtape) or even Varitek. It's my artist's duty to say all of this. See, I don't mind if anyone downloads my stuff for free right now, because none of it's for sale.

But if I had an album out for sale I'd be a little perturbed to come on here and find out it's being shared like mad by people who would probably never see a show I'd play at.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #787
The Male

Quote:
but I feel a lot of people who download music don't pay for music dvd's either.
You would be wrong. I can't imagine there are that many who do both.

Now.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #788
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

At some point it just gets ridiculous, though. Of course, I'm guilty of it, to a certain degree. But between me, my brothers, and the singer of my band, 90% of the music on my computer is something which has been purchased. First or secondhand. I mean, maybe I'm a purist, or an elitist, but I feel a lot of people who download music don't pay for music dvd's either.

And yes, some bands make money on tours--most bands make money by selling their merchandise while on tour (i.e. their music). I've had some friends crippled due to the fact that people shared their album so much that it didn't meet the record company's quota and therefore they were dropped from the label. No one bought the album at the show (when the band makes 100% profit off it), t-shirt sales pay for more t-shirts to be made (and not much else unless it's over $20, but most smaller bands sell them for $10, which is little above cost), and small clubs don't pay very much at all. About enough for gas and food to get to the next city. With CD sales down, the small bands are getting squeezed out and disillusioned.

Anyway, this isn't so much of a rant. It's just me saying that bands, unless they're U2 sized (or even maybe Raconteurs-sized) don't make much money on tours, and that I really think that people should buy a little bit more music than they currently do. That's directed at everyone, by the way, not just you (Screwtape) or even Varitek. It's my artist's duty to say all of this. See, I don't mind if anyone downloads my stuff for free right now, because none of it's for sale.

But if I had an album out for sale I'd be a little perturbed to come on here and find out it's being shared like mad by people who would probably never see a show I'd play at.
In 95% of these cases, I'm willing to bet the music they are hearing through downloads is music they wouldn't bother listening to if they had to buy it.

The bands I like, I spend money on.

And I've been asking for a lot of music lately, much more than Vazza. I've barely noticed her asking for much, to be honest. Certainly not more than anyone else.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #789
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

In 95% of these cases, I'm willing to bet the music they are hearing through downloads is music they wouldn't bother listening to if they had to buy it.

And I've been asking for a lot of music lately, much more than Vazza. I've barely noticed her asking for much, to be honest. Certainly not more than anyone else.
Over the last two months, she's been the one I've noticed asking the most. Maybe it's just because she's online more than you.

Quote:
The bands I like, I spend money on.
Isn't this kinda what desert island's for?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #790
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Open yo eyes, son.

I've gotta echo the sentiments of my colleagues here. There's too much music out there I'd like to hear but cannot afford, so I'll download and listen to it. If I dig it enough or if it's a highly anticipated release (In Rainbows, Magic, Icky Thump, Neon Bible...), I'll buy it the first day.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #791
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

You would be wrong. I can't imagine there are that many who do both.
You might be surprised.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #792
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I was really surprised by that, too. It is unfortunate that they can't make up. I can never stay mad at any of you.
Some people just can't get along. Simple fact of nature.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #793
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

And a fact of life, like Tootie.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #794
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:21 PM
I'm personally one of those people who buys a lot more music than I download

In general I only download new releases and if I like them I buy them, but if I'm checking out back catalogue I never download the albums, I always prefer to pick up the cd.

I'd much rather have a collection of cds than a bunch of files any day.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #795
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

You're a greater man than I, I of I&L.

Tags
superthread