Dumb Hope, Northumberland, UK Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YLB, that was a huge list, I really hope that was copy and paste. If not, that's too much work.

I just looked at my ratings from Flixster and copied and pasted them over.

Flixster's a great place to find movie recs, review, and organize movies you've seen.

phillyfan26 said:
I didn't understand his criticism about not buying music. We're all guilty of that here.

But not everyone asks for uploads of albums daily.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Done.

Have Viva la Vida, Violet Hill, Rebel Yell, and the acoustic Lost! been the only ones to leak, Phanan?

It seems that a rough cut of Life In Technicolor is out there as well, although I haven't heard it yet. And when it says "rough cut" it's obvious it's not the final version.

the tourist said:

But not everyone asks for uploads of albums daily.

You'd be surprised.

phanan said:

It seems that a rough cut of Life In Technicolor is out there as well, although I haven't heard it yet. And when it says "rough cut" it's obvious it's not the final version.

Sounds cool. I think I'll just wait for the leak to see if I'm interested in buying it or not. I regret not listening to the leak of X&Y before purchasing.

Screwtape2 said:

Yeah. My view is that I'll spend the money on a tour and music DVD's. That is where a lot of an artist's income come from. Plus royalities when others are inspired by their music and do covers. Why not spread the music and allow others to buy concert tickets and what have you?

At some point it just gets ridiculous, though. Of course, I'm guilty of it, to a certain degree. But between me, my brothers, and the singer of my band, 90% of the music on my computer is something which has been purchased. First or secondhand. I mean, maybe I'm a purist, or an elitist, but I feel a lot of people who download music don't pay for music dvd's either.

And yes, some bands make money on tours--most bands make money by selling their merchandise while on tour (i.e. their music). I've had some friends crippled due to the fact that people shared their album so much that it didn't meet the record company's quota and therefore they were dropped from the label. No one bought the album at the show (when the band makes 100% profit off it), t-shirt sales pay for more t-shirts to be made (and not much else unless it's over $20, but most smaller bands sell them for $10, which is little above cost), and small clubs don't pay very much at all. About enough for gas and food to get to the next city. With CD sales down, the small bands are getting squeezed out and disillusioned.

Anyway, this isn't so much of a rant. It's just me saying that bands, unless they're U2 sized (or even maybe Raconteurs-sized) don't make much money on tours, and that I really think that people should buy a little bit more music than they currently do. That's directed at everyone, by the way, not just you (Screwtape) or even Varitek. It's my artist's duty to say all of this. See, I don't mind if anyone downloads my stuff for free right now, because none of it's for sale.

But if I had an album out for sale I'd be a little perturbed to come on here and find out it's being shared like mad by people who would probably never see a show I'd play at.

the tourist said:
but I feel a lot of people who download music don't pay for music dvd's either.

You would be wrong. I can't imagine there are that many who do both.

the tourist said:

At some point it just gets ridiculous, though. Of course, I'm guilty of it, to a certain degree. But between me, my brothers, and the singer of my band, 90% of the music on my computer is something which has been purchased. First or secondhand. I mean, maybe I'm a purist, or an elitist, but I feel a lot of people who download music don't pay for music dvd's either.

And yes, some bands make money on tours--most bands make money by selling their merchandise while on tour (i.e. their music). I've had some friends crippled due to the fact that people shared their album so much that it didn't meet the record company's quota and therefore they were dropped from the label. No one bought the album at the show (when the band makes 100% profit off it), t-shirt sales pay for more t-shirts to be made (and not much else unless it's over $20, but most smaller bands sell them for $10, which is little above cost), and small clubs don't pay very much at all. About enough for gas and food to get to the next city. With CD sales down, the small bands are getting squeezed out and disillusioned.

Anyway, this isn't so much of a rant. It's just me saying that bands, unless they're U2 sized (or even maybe Raconteurs-sized) don't make much money on tours, and that I really think that people should buy a little bit more music than they currently do. That's directed at everyone, by the way, not just you (Screwtape) or even Varitek. It's my artist's duty to say all of this. See, I don't mind if anyone downloads my stuff for free right now, because none of it's for sale.

But if I had an album out for sale I'd be a little perturbed to come on here and find out it's being shared like mad by people who would probably never see a show I'd play at.

In 95% of these cases, I'm willing to bet the music they are hearing through downloads is music they wouldn't bother listening to if they had to buy it.

The bands I like, I spend money on.

And I've been asking for a lot of music lately, much more than Vazza. I've barely noticed her asking for much, to be honest. Certainly not more than anyone else.

phillyfan26 said:

In 95% of these cases, I'm willing to bet the music they are hearing through downloads is music they wouldn't bother listening to if they had to buy it.

And I've been asking for a lot of music lately, much more than Vazza. I've barely noticed her asking for much, to be honest. Certainly not more than anyone else.

Over the last two months, she's been the one I've noticed asking the most. Maybe it's just because she's online more than you.

The bands I like, I spend money on.

Isn't this kinda what desert island's for?

Last edited:
Open yo eyes, son.

I've gotta echo the sentiments of my colleagues here. There's too much music out there I'd like to hear but cannot afford, so I'll download and listen to it. If I dig it enough or if it's a highly anticipated release (In Rainbows, Magic, Icky Thump, Neon Bible...), I'll buy it the first day.

Screwtape2 said:

I was really surprised by that, too. It is unfortunate that they can't make up. I can never stay mad at any of you.

Some people just can't get along. :shrug: Simple fact of nature.

I'm personally one of those people who buys a lot more music than I download

In general I only download new releases and if I like them I buy them, but if I'm checking out back catalogue I never download the albums, I always prefer to pick up the cd.

I'd much rather have a collection of cds than a bunch of files any day.

Irishteen said:
I'm personally one of those people who buys a lot more music than I download

In general I only download new releases and if I like them I buy them, but if I'm checking out back catalogue I never download the albums, I always prefer to pick up the cd.

I'd much rather have a collection of cds than a bunch of files any day.

:up:

LemonMacPhisto said:
You're a greater man than I, I of I&L.

Probably heard a lot less music than you though

One of the reasons I do it is because a bunch of bands I'm in to never get their albums released outside of Ireland, and there isn't much money in that. So I feel good about making a small contribution, which might convince their label to give them another album (and Advance) so they can continue making music.

phillyfan26 said:
YLB, the WinRAR thing you sent me expires in like three days. Any ideas on what to do then for RAR conversions?

pisslova, i'm pretty sure winrar just tells you it is expired for the sake of making you click an extra box or paying them to not have to do it. but you can click "register later" or whatever it is for years with no problem and the program will still work. at least the version i had on my old pc did, if yours doesn't, i could probably dl and email you the version i was using.

i'm sure there's some way to open the program in a .txt file and delete the portion that makes it think it's expired, you might be able to find this if you poke around online, if you care.

Screwtape2 said:

I think I might tell her I think she is sweet and cool. Then ask her if she would like to be friends.

Again, I would stick with the word "cool" and not use any additives like sweet, because you don't know her very well so she may very well wonder how/why you think that. Cool is enough of a generic term that here I'd say means "you seem interesting/talented and i like being around you." And I might try more of an approach that involves asking her if she wants to hang out to get to know each other better as friends some time - you can't immediately decide if you want to be friends with someone without getting to know them, so that question may come across as a little weighty. Your goal if you want to hang out is to make it as casual as possible. And not to set off that boyfriend alarm.

Last edited:
Varitek said:

Again, I would stick with the word "cool" and not use any additives like sweet, because you don't know her very well so she may very well wonder how/why you think that. Cool is enough of a generic term that here I'd say means "you seem interesting/talented and i like being around you." And I might try more of an approach that involves asking her if she wants to hang out to get to know each other better as friends some time - you can't immediately decide if you want to be friends with someone without getting to know them, so that question may come across as a little weighty. Your goal if you want to hang out is to make it as casual as possible. And not to set off that boyfriend alarm.

How about this:

"I think you're cool and an interesting person to get to know. I'd like to be your friend."

Screwtape2 said:

How about this:

"I think you're cool and an interesting person to get to know. I'd like to be your friend."

much better, but may I suggest one more modification:

"I think you're cool and you would be an interesting person to get to know as friends." (perhaps this should be preceded by an acknowledgement that you realize she has a boyfriend, you respect that, and in a nonromantic way, you think she's cool and want to get to know her as friends)

I know it's subtle, or nitpicky, but again, "getting to know as friends" is much more casual and nonintimidating than "being friends" right off the bat. And much more accurate, as you'll have to get to know each other before you can be friends anyway!

Varitek said:

much better, but may I suggest one more modification:

"I think you're cool and you would be an interesting person to get to know as friends." (perhaps this should be preceded by an acknowledgement that you realize she has a boyfriend, you respect that, and in a nonromantic way, you think she's cool and want to get to know her as friends)

I know it's subtle, or nitpicky, but again, "getting to know as friends" is much more casual and nonintimidating than "being friends" right off the bat. And much more accurate, as you'll have to get to know each other before you can be friends anyway!

Yeah that does sound better. Thanks.

good luck. again don't give her a note - you have to say this, but it might help to rehearse or to write it down so you can peak at it beforehand (don't let her see you peak of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom