Dumb Hope, Northumberland, UK Superthread - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #391
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:06 PM
This is inside one of the MTH carriages hauled by A 70. Bloody comfortable. Most comfortable suburban train I've ever been on.

And by "hauled", I damn well mean past tense. Late last month, the carriage train was replaced by Sprinter railcars. Never ridden them but I hear they aren't as comfy as the MTH carriages.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #392
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I was barely around myself, though that was mostly due to taking an essay to uni then being visited by a Vision Australia person so that I could get a cane.

I really don't like the fighting and the tension. Hopefully it has all just blown over.

And I'm sure you can dig up plenty of cool Greek stuff.
Ah, righto. Yeah I was around when you talked about the cane. That was around when the hostilities began to cease.

When are you going down to your little Motherland?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #393
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:06 AM
I'll fish up a few more photos from my Wellington to Christchurch flight.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #394
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This is inside one of the MTH carriages hauled by A 70. Bloody comfortable. Most comfortable suburban train I've ever been on.

And by "hauled", I damn well mean past tense. Late last month, the carriage train was replaced by Sprinter railcars. Never ridden them but I hear they aren't as comfy as the MTH carriages.

A suburban train?

Holy shit.

Compare to

Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #395
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2

It was a Sunday, but the town was dead.

If it wasn't for the trainload of us nothing would have been happening. The only things that were open were The Warehouse, a Foodtown (i believe) and a Robert Harris coffee shop.
Greymouth is bloody dependent on the influx of tourists from that train. The scary part is, it is the largest town on the West Coast BY MILES. Westport and Hokitika are about 4,000 each, I believe. Greymouth's in the vicinity of 12,000-13,000.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #396
Blue Crack Supplier

Let's continue the role reversal.

Here is a who-knows-what tram in Christchurch.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #397
Vocal parasite

Quote:

A suburban train?

Holy shit.

Compare to

Wow, is that the inside of the TranzAlpine nowadays?

Those carriages are - or were - leased from V/Line, the regional operator. They're now back with V/Line, though I'm not sure if they've put them into use on any of the regional trains yet.

All the other commuter trains are much less comfortable. The train between Flinders Street and Frankston fucking well made my back sore.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #398
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Let's continue the role reversal.

Here is a who-knows-what tram in Christchurch.

That would be Brill #178.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #399
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Wow, is that the inside of the TranzAlpine nowadays?

Those carriages are - or were - leased from V/Line, the regional operator. They're now back with V/Line, though I'm not sure if they've put them into use on any of the regional trains yet.

All the other commuter trains are much less comfortable. The train between Flinders Street and Frankston fucking well made my back sore.
Yeah. That's actually the worst of the interior photos i took, i picked the crap one to upload for some reason. It's actually very nice, for carriages that are as old as the hills.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #400
Blue Crack Addict

Alright, I'm getting in on the act.

This is a Greek vase painting of a Sagartian (Iranian tribe) cavalry soldier. They used lassoes as weapons, and as part of the Achaimenid Persian Empire, invaded Greece in the early 5th century BC.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #401
Vocal parasite

Here's a yard of V/Line carriages, as seen from the LaTrobe Street bridge, with the Dudley Street sidings in the distance.

The amount of carriages in this picture is probably close to the total amount of carriages in the Tranz Scenic fleet in New Zealand. Good God they need new rolling stock and more routes.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #402
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Yeah. That's actually the worst of the interior photos i took, i picked the crap one to upload for some reason. It's actually very nice, for carriages that are as old as the hills.

I've heard very positive comments about the recently renovated Overlander carriages. Though I bloody hate how they look externally. I swear the "Overlander" logo on the sides looks like graffiti.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #403
Vocal parasite

Here's a Comeng EMU rocking into Spencer Street Station, with the "Melbourne Eye" ferris wheel doodad in the background.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #404
Blue Crack Addict

This is believed to be the first ever comic, or the first example of panelled images telling a story. In this case, the story is just a gazelle jumping up in the air, but it's still pretty cool and the frames animate pretty well when seen in succession. 5000 years old, Iranian. (very pre-Persian)
Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #405
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
They used lassoes as weapons
Ooh, really? Take that, cowboys-and-indians movies!

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread