Dumb Hope, Northumberland, UK Superthread - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 AM   #196
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek

i am so definitely going there from switzerland and sending ya'll postcards.
I expect photos from the Kunstmuseum.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 03:57 AM   #197
Vocal parasite

Quote:

don't take my tone the wrong way here, but...why start now after not using it all this time?

what's the id vs standard?
Because it will make life easier. Ever since I moved well away from home, I've become fairly conscious that some things are far from ideal. Keep in mind that until a year or so ago, I still lived in a comfort zone with my mother nearby to help out whenever I needed to go anywhere, get anything, etc. All the vision people I've spoken to here are genuinely surprised I don't use a cane or have various adaptive technologies, and suspect I may be straining my eyes badly and unnecessarily.

The ID cane is just that, an ID cane. Its main use is simply to point out that, well, you have low vision. It's not as long, and you can't use it for much else except as a depth perception aid.

The long cane is actually useful for feeling along the ground as you walk and all that stuff. It's the sort of thing you see people swinging back and forth in front of them.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 AM   #198
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:06 PM
screwtape, i dunno if you will ever read this, but here is my 2 cents on the librarian:

I would still say that the approach you last advocated is not the best choice, because you already asked her out and she said she had a boyfriend. As a woman to whom this has happened, if you said you "cared" about me the 2nd time, still barely knowing me, I'd think you wanted an "in" romantically. Even though this might be what you want, you still have to be friends with her while she's dating this guy, and get to know her. (maybe you won't even like her romantically once you do this! happens all the time.) I'd advocate much lighter language. And spoken, not written. Something like, "hey, I know you have a boyfriend and I respect that, but I think we might hit it off as friends so I'd like to get to know you on those terms." that will let her know she is a cool person in your eyes, which is I think what you want to do, without making her wary (and she also wouldn't want to make her boyfriend suspicious if you were still indicating romantic interest, so she'd probably not want to see you in that case). and then you get to maybe make a new friend.

good luck
Old 05-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #199
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I expect photos from the Kunstmuseum.
find me a tram line in liechtenstein and i'll take you some photos.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:26 AM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Because it will make life easier. Ever since I moved well away from home, I've become fairly conscious that some things are far from ideal. Keep in mind that until a year or so ago, I still lived in a comfort zone with my mother nearby to help out whenever I needed to go anywhere, get anything, etc. All the vision people I've spoken to here are genuinely surprised I don't use a cane or have various adaptive technologies, and suspect I may be straining my eyes badly and unnecessarily.

The ID cane is just that, an ID cane. Its main use is simply to point out that, well, you have low vision. It's not as long, and you can't use it for much else except as a depth perception aid.

The long cane is actually useful for feeling along the ground as you walk and all that stuff. It's the sort of thing you see people swinging back and forth in front of them.

you definitely don't want to strain your eyes and make them give out more/earlier down the road.

we've got 2 totally blind girls on campus, i am awed at the memory it must require to be able to walk around the maze of paths and dorms on their own, which they do. counting steps and such. in the dining hall they always have to have a friend to help. that would suck for me so much, as the food is awful and they basically can't doctor it (unless the friend really loves them and has tons of time!) with spices, mixing dishes, lemon, adding feta cheese, and the other various tricks i employ to make the dining hall grub more edible.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:37 AM   #201
Vocal parasite

Quote:

find me a tram line in liechtenstein and i'll take you some photos.
I bet it's too small to have trams, but surely trains go through Vaduz?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 04:39 AM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I bet it's too small to have trams, but surely trains go through Vaduz?
i think from somewhere in austria; i'll be coming from the other side in all likelihood. have i mentioned my highly ambitious plan to hire a bicycle and bike across the country?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

omg ax i finally read hillary's letter to barack's campaign about superdelegates

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/m.s.-b..._b_100861.html

Quote:
When efforts were untaken
Quote:
publically
i knew they were tired and low on funds, but...
Old 05-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #204
Vocal parasite

Quote:

you definitely don't want to strain your eyes and make them give out more/earlier down the road.

we've got 2 totally blind girls on campus, i am awed at the memory it must require to be able to walk around the maze of paths and dorms on their own, which they do. counting steps and such. in the dining hall they always have to have a friend to help. that would suck for me so much, as the food is awful and they basically can't doctor it (unless the friend really loves them and has tons of time!) with spices, mixing dishes, lemon, adding feta cheese, and the other various tricks i employ to make the dining hall grub more edible.
Yeah, my eye fatigue has been more and more noticeable through uni. That's one reason I love Interference, actually; the colours are very nice and soothing, so it's quite comfortable for me to look at.

I don't know how the totally blind do it. Just trying to find my way with shitty vision is quite hard enough. I think I'll be shitloads more comfortable with a cane once I get used to it. Though there's still the "this is going to feel weird" factor, the looks I know I'll get when I'm out photographing, and so on.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

looks I know I'll get when I'm out photographing, and so on.

totally the type of picture that shows up on the internet, of a blind man carefully framing a picture!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:46 AM   #206
Vocal parasite

Quote:

i think from somewhere in austria; i'll be coming from the other side in all likelihood. have i mentioned my highly ambitious plan to hire a bicycle and bike across the country?
That'd be hilarious, to say you've biked across a country. Do it!

You could go to New Zealand, visit Auckland, and bike from sea to sea! That's how narrow the isthmus Auckland's on is. Until the mid-1950s, there was a tram line there that in effect crossed the North Island from east to west coast.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #207
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

That'd be hilarious, to say you've biked across a country. Do it!

You could go to New Zealand, visit Auckland, and bike from sea to sea! That's how narrow the isthmus Auckland's on is. Until the mid-1950s, there was a tram line there that in effect crossed the North Island from east to west coast.
i could bike sea to sea in panama a little easier
Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 AM   #208
Vocal parasite

Quote:
omg ax i finally read hillary's letter to barack's campaign about superdelegates

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/m.s.-b..._b_100861.html

i knew they were tired and low on funds, but...
It's embarrassing to read that. She's just so desperate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she can't win even if both states were counted, right?

And come on, counting MI in particular would just be grossly unfair.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 04:51 AM   #209
Vocal parasite

Quote:

i could bike sea to sea in panama a little easier
The Auckland isthmus is narrower than Panama ...

Though given Auckland traffic, yeah, you probably would have a better chance of survival in Panama.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-09-2008, 04:52 AM   #210
Vocal parasite

Quote:

totally the type of picture that shows up on the internet, of a blind man carefully framing a picture!

My railfan friend, she has a guide dog. A few people have said things ... most people just don't get the whole "low vision =/= NO vision at all" thing.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread