Dream Theater's 'Octavarium' - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:34 AM
Dream Theater's 'Octavarium'

FYI, Dream Theater's new CD was released this week.

Discuss...

Old 06-09-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:34 PM
I was watching a live performance DVD of Dream Theater at Best Buy and have to say the lead singer's voice annoys me but I will give them a try when I have the time. What would you suggest? I've heard rave reviews of Petrucci so I'm willing to listen.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
I was watching a live performance DVD of Dream Theater at Best Buy and have to say the lead singer's voice annoys me but I will give them a try when I have the time. What would you suggest? I've heard rave reviews of Petrucci so I'm willing to listen.
Start with their live cover of Red Hill Mining Town. I think it's pretty darn good.

http://s51.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=2U9DDFFSQ8D5K098BLX1IYIMR0
Old 06-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 08:34 PM
Theres few decent moments, but it's a marginal album overall.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

Start with their live cover of Red Hill Mining Town. I think it's pretty darn good.

http://s51.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=2U9DDFFSQ8D5K098BLX1IYIMR0
Wow! That's a pretty interesting cover. Thanks MrBrau1!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
War Child

I'm not a big DT fan, even though I have most of their albums. Every now and then I crave their music, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood for them. (On the other hand, I'm always in the mood for U2).

I can see how their sound (and vocals) could annoy people. I would suggest the album Images and Words, as it is a certified progressive rock/metal classic. It has alot of beauty to go along with the technical wizardry that DT is famous for. If you don't want a whole album, try to find some of the following songs:

- Surrounded
- Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper (verrry complex)
- Learning to Live (my fav)
- Lines in the Sand
- Voices
- In the Name of God
- Space Dye Vest (unique for DT)

I'm still forming my opinion of Octavarium. I already prefer it to Train of Thought though, b/c I'm not a big fan of 70 min shred fests.

I'm downloading the Red Hill Mining Town cover now, I haven't heard it.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
War Child

Learning to Live (about living with HIV)
http://s39.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=04V8HXPCLIGL026N4L2RZ0LBOB

Space Dye Vest
http://s39.ysi.com/d.aspx?id=0CBQ4VJL7O78B2P08ZXO2B0DW4
Old 07-11-2005, 01:15 PM   #8
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:34 PM
One of my friends is a massive Dream Theater fan and he's sent me a good deal of stuff online, which converted me into a fan, but I never had the chance to buy any of their CDs until I was in the US for six weeks (I got back a week ago). While I was there, though, I took advantage of the extremely cheap prices and stocked up: I got six CDs along with the Live At Budokan DVD. Unfortunately, I didn't get Octavarium, but as this thread seems to have been used as a more general-purpose discussion, I'll write about the CDs I did buy.

So what do I think?

Awake is simply one of the best albums ever made. I played it for an entire day without stopping. 6:00 is a sensational album opener, and Space-Dye Vest is one of the best album closers I've ever heard. My other two particular favourites are The Silent Man and Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, but that said, the entire album is superb. I cannot pick a single weak spot.

And everyone should own a copy of Images And Words. Metropolis Part I: The Miracle And The Sleeper is the only non-U2 song in my top ten songs of all time. Besides that, Pull Me Under, Another Day, and Learning To Live are absolute classics. I'd pay the price of the CD just for Metropolis, though.

A Change Of Seasons is also worth the price of a CD alone. I never thought anyone could make a 23 minute long song that doesn't drag at a single point, but Dream Theater did it with this number. A masterpiece.

The other CDs, I haven't had a chance to play as much. Falling Into Infinity definitely seems to be the weakest just from a cursory listen, though I've heard live performances of Hollow Years and Trial Of Tears that are mindblowingly awesome. Train Of Thought has the first Dream Theater song I ever heard, This Dying Soul, and I also really enjoy As I Am, Endless Sacrifice, and In The Name Of God. The last one, I played a lot the day (well, it was night here) of the London bombings.

That leaves Scenes From A Memory as the final CD to mention, and ... goodness, that one really is incredible, isn't it? I need to sit down with the lyrics book and fully follow the story just to properly sort it out in my mind and understand it. I love music that makes you think.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #9

I had one of those "Dream Theater roommates." This is a band that can really infect you. When I first listened to their stuff, I thought it was amazing, but on second listen I was instantly repulsed. It is not metal. It is not rock. It's not pop music either, it's Yngwie Malmsteen on Broadway.

Dream Theater are geniuses at what they do. People say they are weak songwriters, it's not true. Most technical idiots forget to write proper songs, DT writes em, most of their songs are short and well structured, and very melodic. None of the insane catchiness and show offy playing manages to make them better than a one chord punk song, though, and I'm not even the biggest fan of one chord punk.

I have to say Images & Words is one of the worst albums I know. They got slightly less hideous as the production got less '80s, but James LaBrie and Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci and the others are a reason never to value technical skill (or intelligence. or even passion.) over other more important things. I'm glad DT exist, they helped me realize what I did NOT want out of music.

And I will send them hate mail if they ever attempt to cover OK Computer. They seem to cover an entire album every once in awhile. They actually did The Joshua Tree? Hah. As if the vocals werent over the top enough.

(I do admit I get some masochistic pleasure out of hearing their stuff, but god, I hate them worse than any band that has ever existed. Purely for the music. Portnoy=nice seeming guy.)
Old 07-12-2005, 09:14 PM   #10
Refugee

They covered the whole Joshua Tree??
That's a negative soldier
Old 07-12-2005, 09:36 PM   #11

I dont know if they did. It would just be one more disturbing aspect of Dream Theater if it was true. I assume it must be true since usually that's the only time they cover other bands' songs. They did the side 2 suite of Abbey Road. It was...
Old 07-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #12
Refugee

They have done 2 U2 covers Bad and Red Hill Minig Town.

The only whole album they have cover is Metallica's Master of Puppets Live.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:00 AM   #13

oh really, I must've been mixing them up with Phish. they cover the whole albums.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:49 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Re: Dream Theater's 'Octavarium'

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Hearts
FYI, Dream Theater's new CD was released this week.

Discuss...
Octavarium to me sounds like Muse, U2 and Radiohead with a less shite Yngwie on guitar, Petrucci is a class act though but really they should try writing a perfect pop song for once, but DT will forever be DT even if your a fan, there's still a love hate relationship on the go.

Or just ignore me and buy all of the albums or download them as people like myself often have to do

Screw it Petrucci owns
Old 05-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 05:34 AM
I like Dream Theater but dont have this u2 cover - Red Hill Mining Town... could you please upload it again or send me in email??

evememphis@yahoo.ie