Dream Theater's 'Octavarium'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
babyman said:
Octavarium on the level of Scenes From A Memory? Definitely not, Axver, definitely not. Scenes From A Memory is a record of its own, unique, for what concerns the theme of the record and mostly the overall of the compositions. The last 2 records were good, but surely not as good as past pieces.

It seems I have a habit of thinking one classic by my favourite bands isn't as good as most people think iti s. For example, I think Achtung Baby has only 4-5 good songs. And I think Scenes From A Memory is over-rated. I don't deny it's really good, and very well composed, but it just doesn't interest me as much as earlier material, and it holds about the same interest for me as Octavarium does. If I were ranking the albums, I'd rank them something like this:

1. Awake
2. Images And Words
3. When Dream And Day Unite
4. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
5. Scenes From A Memory
6. Octavarium
7. Train Of Thought
8. Falling Into Infinity

Though I must say, Mike Portnoy is a bloody god for being able to play The Dance Of Eternity.

Well, in the end it depends of tastes obviously, there's nothing that cannot be disregarded. Personnally my ranklist is this:

1 Scenes From A Memory
2 Falling Into Infinity
3 Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (2nd cd)
4 Images And Words
5 Awake
6 A Change Of Seasons
7 Octavarium
8 Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (1st cd)
9 Train Of Thought
10 When Day and Dream Unite

I a very very big Dream Theater fan. They are above U2 in my list. They didn't cover Joshua Tree by the way. I've seen them 3 times last year abroad because they won't come to Ireland. In London I went to 2 consecutive shows in the same venue. 3 hours plus each. They really know how to please their fans. The second night they recorded the whole of Dark Side of the Moon. All I can say is I can die a happy man now.
I love Octavarium but it's not their best. Their best are Scenes from a Memory, Awake and Images and Words!
Dream Theaters beat songs:
A Fortune in Lies, YTSE Jam, The Killing Hand, Only a Matter of Time, Under a Glass moon, Wait for Sleep, Learning to Live, 6:00, Erotomania, Voices, Lie and The Mirror, Space Dye Vest, Raise the Knife, Lines in the Sand, Hells Kitchen, Trial of Tears, A Change of Seasons, The Entire Scenes from a Memory album, 6' of Inner Turbulence, Disappear, Blind Faith, As I am, Stream of Conciousness, In the name of God, Insrumedley, The Root of all Evil, Panick Attack, Sacrificed Sons, Octavarium!
I met Jordan Rudess, Mike Portnoy and James LaBrie. They are really nice down to Earth people. I'm taller than them.:wink:

They covered Red Hill Mining Town and Bad, I both own them.
Btw, Shredzilla, I have met HE..................Mr.John"Musicman 7strings" Petrucci! He ws very kind, signed me 3 autographs, and we had a nice talk, too. We talked about Metropolis, I asked him why they didn't perform that song that night (it was Florence, Italy, june 2004). He said laughing: "You always want Metropolis! We're bored with it!"

But I would meet Mikey!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
We've met John an hour and a half after the concert. I wanted to go, actually, but one of my friend, who learned playing guitar thanx to John, wanted to wate absolutely, and unexpected we were lucky. He came! We asked after James, but he wasn't available.

Back
Top Bottom