Dr. Randy Pausch - Lecture of a lifetime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=5788

This man is facing death with dignity and courage. Very moving and inspirational. I dare you not to be touched by this.

Full lecture in streaming video:

mms://wms.andrew.cmu.edu/001/pausch.wmv

I just saw his appearance on Oprah. Never took the time to watch the original speech or the one above :reject:
I was just moved by it. I went thru many a tissue watching this. I still have the episode on TiVo, as I couldn't delete it just yet. Here's the Oprah lecture, which should be the same as the original. And he spoke to Oprah afterwords along with Dr. Oz. (below might be the condensed version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0aO64aKqek

From Oprah's site: http://www2.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_20071022_350_106.jhtml

Randy Pausch is a married father of three, a very popular professor at Carnegie Mellon University—and he is dying. He is suffering from pancreatic cancer, which he says has returned after surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. Doctors say he has only a few months to live.

In September 2007, Randy gave a final lecture to his students at Carnegie Mellon that has since been downloaded more than a million times on the Internet. "There's an academic tradition called the 'Last Lecture.' Hypothetically, if you knew you were going to die and you had one last lecture, what would you say to your students?" Randy says. "Well, for me, there's an elephant in the room. And the elephant in the room, for me, it wasn't hypothetical."

Watch Randy's famous "Last Lecture."

Despite the lecture's wide popularity, Randy says he really only intended his words for his three small children. "I think it's great that so many people have benefited from this lecture, but the truth of the matter is that I didn't really even give it to the 400 people at Carnegie Mellon who came. I only wrote this lecture for three people, and when they're older, they'll watch it," he says.

He died today

(AP) Professor whose 'last lecture' became sensation dies

Randy Pausch, a Carnegie Mellon University computer scientist whose "last lecture" about facing terminal cancer became an Internet sensation and a best-selling book, has died. He was 47.

University spokeswoman Anne Watzman says Pausch died early Friday at his home in Virginia.

oh wow I just read his book last weekend. He created a great life and left quite a legacy.

Near the end of the book he gives a message to his daughter who will likely not remember him because she is too young. He said I want her to know that I was the first man that ever fell in love with her. :heart:

Near the end of the book he gives a message to his daughter who will likely not remember him because she is too young. He said I want her to know that I was the first man that ever fell in love with her. :heart:

So beautiful :sad:

Normally, I think that these sort of things are shit, but this one moved me a lot. Perhaps it is because I have a child of my own now and have thought about how awful it would be not to see her grow into the woman that she will become, but I think mostly it has to do with the sheer humanity that he puts forth in the talk. I love the fact that he doesn't try to be more than he is in the talk. He tells his story and lets you pick out what's important.

I for one am glad that Randy Pausch lived.

Normally, I think that these sort of things are shit, but this one moved me a lot. Perhaps it is because I have a child of my own now and have thought about how awful it would be not to see her grow into the woman that she will become, but I think mostly it has to do with the sheer humanity that he puts forth in the talk. I love the fact that he doesn't try to be more than he is in the talk. He tells his story and lets you pick out what's important.

I for one am glad that Randy Pausch lived.

I agree with that a lot of the self help junk out there is just there to make money for someone. But I, like you, saw that under these circumstances, this was done purely out of love and selflessness. It was a genuine straight from the heart message. No one knew what an inspiration this man would become.

I can barely remember how I even stumbled upon the original link to the speech located on the Carnegie Melon website but I am thankful that I did. Oprah got a hold of it and a celebrity was created. I didn't like hearing him referred to as an Youtube sensation in recent days cause I felt it cheapened his message to his children.

Randy Pausch, has left a legacy which will be shared for years to come and faced his mortality with a courage and dignity I have never seen. He talked about not being there in the future to catch his family if they fall off a cliff, so he decided to use the time to make nets for them. He did a helluva job on those nets. Thanks Randy, for sharing with the rest of us too.

I strongly recommend this link. This is his original lecture before his colleagues, students, friends and family. Without any idea that it would be an inspiration for millions. It is an hour and 44 minutes long. It includes tributes from his colleagues as he prepares to leave to face the challenge.

mms://wms.andrew.cmu.edu/001/pausch.wmv

Back
Top Bottom