Download new Coldplay tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Speed of Sound is one of Coldplay's weakest songs, it bores me. I'm not sure why they chose it as their lead off single. I heard 2 other songs from the album today on the radio and didn't really care for them. The song White Shadows is great musically but Chris came up with a horible melody.

I love their first two albums but this one I'll probably hold off on buying...for a long time.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think Speed of Sound is one of Coldplay's weakest songs, it bores me. I'm not sure why they chose it as their lead off single. I heard 2 other songs from the album today on the radio and didn't really care for them. The song White Shadows is great musically but Chris came up with a horible melody.

I love their first two albums but this one I'll probably hold off on buying...for a long time.

White Shadows is my favorite so far :up:

Fix Me I can do without :|

Wellllllllllllllllllllll

After a few listens I must say I'm not extremely impressed...

Square one:
musically is great, Chris Martin voice ruines the song for me completely.

What if: someone here called it meaningfull at first listen but in the end it turns out to be whinning. Couldn't agree more.

White shadows: Unforgettable fire guitar and I love the music(reminds me of my own band seriously), again Chris his voice is a bit annoying here..good song!!!

Low: Great song!! Good use of the synth here..good coldplay chorus...

A message: Chris sings pretty good here and it sounds pretty good.

The hardest part: MEDIOCRE!!!!!!

X&Y: Stop with this enormously boring falssetto Chris: you're not Bono at this peak or Thom Yorke, stick to what you do best..
It doens't strike me.

Twisted logic: Radiohead would have made a classic of this material lol

Speed of sound: Not too bad, nice song..reminds me of kate bush for some strange reason...oh yeah running up that hill lol

Fix you. Hate it: Chris his voice really makes me want to hit a wall or something.

Talk: nice song..

Till Kingdom come: Proud Mary keeps on burning..What the **** ever

Verdict after 3 listens: 6.2/10

Not bad but certainly not a classic...God compare this to OK computer or Achtung baby...doesn't hold a candle.
Chris should stop with his mediocre falsetto which is getting on my nerves..It becomes a trick and I hate that...

Have a nice day everyone!!!!

Scrabble

Till kingdom come: everytime I hear it I think he will begin to sing"it's christmastime, there's no need to be afraid":eyebrow:

Ok, zwervers2 gave his track-by-track, so I thought I would too. :wink: We disagree on most tracks.

Square One: Great opener, mixture of atmospherics and a strong guitar. The opening really reminds me of the beginning of Pink Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

What If: A more beatlesque version of The Scientist. Very good, but not quite The Scientist.

White Shadows: Coldplay stole a tape of Edge playing guitar from 1984 and stuck it into this song. Despite this theft, it is a great, driving rock song.

Fix You: Sounds cliche at first, but once I realize he is singing about his baby and how he will always be there for her, it made me almost cry. The guitar that comes in at the midway point is fantastic, as are the harmony vocals. Maybe the best song on the album.

Talk: Different than the early leak, but still great. I love the guitar line even if they stole it from Kraftwerk. (But they did ask for the rights, so it's all good).

X&Y: Extremely atmospheric. Sounds like Doves could have made this one. Also very good.

Speed of Sound: I have grown to really like this. My first impression was Clocks ripoff, but the chorus is very inspirational.

A Message: For me, this is somewhat of a stumble. While the song is pretty good, it sounds too much like it could have been on Parachutes. After all of the eclectric guitar, piano and synths on the first 7 songs, the acoustic guitar sounds horribly out of place, and pulls you away from being immersed in the album.

Low: Another more rocking tune with some Edge sounding guitar (like White Shadows) but just not as good. Nothing wrong with the song, just not doing much for me yet.

The Hardest Part: This is a song that REM wishes they could make. I love REM, but they have not been the same since Berry left. The piano in this song is pure Mills and the jangly guitar is pure Buck. Gotta love it.

Swallowed in the Sea: Not sure about the synthy intro but once it gets going the vocals become very hypnotic and the guitar is almost twangy.

Twisted Logic: Definitely sounds like Radiohead, and it has surprisingly crunchy sounding guitar for Coldplay. Great closer, but then there is the "Hidden" track.

Til Kingdom Come: Not sure how this is hidden, but anyway. This was apparently written for Johnny Cash just before he died. Great little acoustic number that doesn't kill the mood like A Message since it is at the end.

As you can tell, I am very happy with the album overall. Better than Parachutes and I haven't decided how it compares to Rush of Blood yet. :up: :up: :up:

Any lyrics for this album yet. I've been listening for the last 24 hours and now I wanna git my SING on!

deltau922 said:
Any lyrics for this album yet. I've been listening for the last 24 hours and now I wanna git my SING on!

Go to the forum at Coldplaying.com, they have lyric threads there.

bsp77 said:
Ok, zwervers2 gave his track-by-track, so I thought I would too. :wink: We disagree on most tracks.

Square One: Great opener, mixture of atmospherics and a strong guitar. The opening really reminds me of the beginning of Pink Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

What If: A more beatlesque version of The Scientist. Very good, but not quite The Scientist.

White Shadows: Coldplay stole a tape of Edge playing guitar from 1984 and stuck it into this song. Despite this theft, it is a great, driving rock song.

Fix You: Sounds cliche at first, but once I realize he is singing about his baby and how he will always be there for her, it made me almost cry. The guitar that comes in at the midway point is fantastic, as are the harmony vocals. Maybe the best song on the album.

Talk: Different than the early leak, but still great. I love the guitar line even if they stole it from Kraftwerk. (But they did ask for the rights, so it's all good).

X&Y: Extremely atmospheric. Sounds like Doves could have made this one. Also very good.

Speed of Sound: I have grown to really like this. My first impression was Clocks ripoff, but the chorus is very inspirational.

A Message: For me, this is somewhat of a stumble. While the song is pretty good, it sounds too much like it could have been on Parachutes. After all of the eclectric guitar, piano and synths on the first 7 songs, the acoustic guitar sounds horribly out of place, and pulls you away from being immersed in the album.

Low: Another more rocking tune with some Edge sounding guitar (like White Shadows) but just not as good. Nothing wrong with the song, just not doing much for me yet.

The Hardest Part: This is a song that REM wishes they could make. I love REM, but they have not been the same since Berry left. The piano in this song is pure Mills and the jangly guitar is pure Buck. Gotta love it.

Swallowed in the Sea: Not sure about the synthy intro but once it gets going the vocals become very hypnotic and the guitar is almost twangy.

Twisted Logic: Definitely sounds like Radiohead, and it has surprisingly crunchy sounding guitar for Coldplay. Great closer, but then there is the "Hidden" track.

Til Kingdom Come: Not sure how this is hidden, but anyway. This was apparently written for Johnny Cash just before he died. Great little acoustic number that doesn't kill the mood like A Message since it is at the end.

As you can tell, I am very happy with the album overall. Better than Parachutes and I haven't decided how it compares to Rush of Blood yet. :up: :up: :up:

Nice review and funny how people tend to listen to the same song in a completely different way. It's not like this a bad album or anything. I'm a little dissapointed in the band's direction and especially in the singingparts I'm not extremely overwhelmed to say the least. a couple of good to very good tracks but too many "fillers"so to speak. And the Rolling Stone "5" star review is a joke especially mentoining ONE...

Take care everybody

zwervers2 said:

Nice review and funny how people tend to listen to the same song in a completely different way. It's not like this a bad album or anything. I'm a little dissapointed in the band's direction and especially in the singingparts I'm not extremely overwhelmed to say the least. a couple of good to very good tracks but too many "fillers"so to speak. And the Rolling Stone "5" star review is a joke especially mentoining ONE...

Take care everybody

Yeah, I thought it funny that a couple of your favorites were a couple of my least favorites. But, I appreciate that you give it a chance instead of just bad mouthing them like so many here.

Oh, I think Q gave it the five star review. Rolling Stone just gave it three stars. :mad:

i've been trying to get the mp3s for this cd for a while now (i really like the new version of talk and i want to put it on my girlfriend's new mix). can someone PLEEEEEEEEEEASE send me a zip file with the mp3s?

-I WILL BUILD THOUSANDS OF MASHED POTATO DEVIL TOWERS FOR YOU

-I WILL BUILD YOU A GIANT LEMON WITH A FAIL PROOF EXIT DOOR.

-I WILL RUN AROUND A HEART SHAPED STADIUM TRACK...AND THEN I WILL DO CARTWHEELS ACROSS IT...

...to show my gratitude. thank you.

thewrathofsam@yahoo.com

I think this album is definitely good. Not as great as their first two, but it's not disappointing or anything. :shrug: Like others have said, no one particular song jumps out at me as absolutely amazing but I think it'll take some time for them to grow on me.

Interesting sound with X&Y :wink:

Ok.

I've listened to the album maybe 5 times so I can write my impressions.

I must say, first, that I hate that Coldplay are now so big. I hate that there's a big Coldplay poster with a countdown at HMV since april. I hate that they say they want to be as big as U2. I hate all of this because I think Coldplay are very talentend, and I'm afraid they might become crap because of this success.

After a few listens, I believe X&Y is an excellent album. It's not perfect but it is definitely excellent. It is better than Parachutes (to me - I like organs and some electronic aspects in rock, as are showcased in X&Y) but I'm not too sure where it stands next to the mighty A Rush of Blood to the Head. Like for AROBTTH, it has some weak tracks (A Whisper, Green Eyes compared to Low, Hardest Part maybe). And Like AROBTTH, it has massive, wonderful tracks. Here's my track-by-track impressions after 5 listens (you should note that my opinion of several tracks has changed quite a bit as I got to know them better):

Square One: The first sounds we hear on X&Y defines the album. The first three notes of 2001: A Space Odyssey ring. The synths come in. Coldplay have added more electronics to their sound. At first, I wasn't very impressed with this track; now I like it very much. Very interesting guitars, good chord progression, excellent bassline. A strong song.

What If: Typical Coldplay ballad with piano, slide guitar and falsetto. Beautiful melody and catchy chorus. Beautiful song.

White Shadows: Well well... Now there's no way they can say they don't borrow from U2. This riff is typical Unforgettable Fire-era Edge. If someone had told me that riff was from a BSide from UF, I would've believed him. Nevertheless, the riff is very good and so is the song. The chorus is extremely catchy and features a nice high-pitch guitar. We're far from Parachutes with this track.

Fix You: The album is worth buying just for this track. Once again, Edge is featured prominently in this most awesome track. This is the Amsterdam of X&Y. A simple piano/organ leads the track for the first half. Already pretty nice. But at mid-point, an amazing, simple-reverb-delayed-Edge-guitar riff breaks through and puts the song on a totally different level. It's so simple, yet so good. What I especially like is that they took the time to let this sink in and provided us with a muscial interlude that's just long enough. All 4 members of Coldplay sing the powerful lines of the second half of the song. Best track of the album (after 5 listens), and one of Coldplay's best.

Talk:: I already knew this song from the old version that was leaked ages ago. I loved it very much yet found that it was very similar to Speed of Sound. They totally revamped it before putting it on X&Y. Well that was a wise choice. I like the new version better. It has much more punch and is a definite standout track. This will be awesome, live.

X&Y:: A very minor (musically, that is) verse starts this song. Great verses, with a more typical Coldplay chorus (falsetto...). Another standout track.

Speed of Sound: You all know this track. The piano sounds a lot like Clocks. But the chorus is still pretty memorable. A good tune, but definitely not the best on the album.

A Message: A song that would have fit perfectly on A Rush of Blood to the Head, next to the track of the same name. The synths are gone. This track didn't hit me as it should at first listen. But now I like it very much. A grower, that's for sure.

Low: The weakest track of the album. Interesting but it never really takes off. Features a surprising percussion solo that is very reminiscent of Boy.

The Hardest Part: Somehow, this track reminds me of a mix between Coldplay, REM and Elton John. It has grown on me since the first listen but it won't reach the heights of Talk of Fix You, that's for sure. Still a decent song.

Swallowed In The Sea: Beautiful melody. Even though it is repeated throughout the song, it makes a beautiful little ballad. It never will be a single but will be loved by many fans, I am sure.

Twisted Logic: Another minor song for which the music fits very well the title. Good chord progression and chorus. I love this one.

Til Kingdom Come: "Hidden" track (I don't get this... it's useless). Folksy song. Does nothing for me. Yet.

So there it is. My impressions might - will - change over time.
Despite the hype and the "corporate rock" thing, I think Coldplay produced a very good album.

Last edited:
Can't Wait to get home from work and download this sucker.

If anyone's posting out the full album and they think they could manage to throw me on the cc: column then I will throw back lots of good karma :wink:

timothiusnz @ gmail.com :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom